Additional ide?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional ide?

I have a msi k7n mobo for my athlon, and its fantastic but i have run out of space for ide devices......

I have only 2 channels which gives me a maximum of 4 device curently:
    1 cdrom
    1 cdrw
    1 HD 20Gb
    1 HD 160gb

However its a full tower case and i really want to get some additional drives in caddies and i need to attach a ide zip 100 as well. I have seen raid controllers but they seem very expensive, does anyone know of a controller i can get in the uK that is stable that will give another 2 ide channels.

Or should i just buy a new motherboard?

Many thanks.

I have an PCI ATA133 controller for sale but it's not even worth the shipping cost to send it over there.
    NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
    If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

they should be all over the place. Hell, 160gb western digital SPED drives were coming with them.

go to any computer place and you should be able to get one for under $20 (likely even cheaper)

if you're completely unsuccessful I've got one you can have if you can devise a cost effective shipping method
      car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

are the controllers reliable though? im a bit concerned about adding other controllers i keep thinking about loads of horrible conflicts and stuff.

Comment

Ya they are reliable....
          New CarPC on the way again I think. I miss my old one!!!

Comment

they're usually as reliable, and in some cases more reliable, than the onboard chips.

Comment

Originally posted by Blop
              i have run out of space for ide devices......

I have only 2 channels which gives me a maximum of 4 device curently:
              1 cdrom
              1 cdrw
              1 HD 20Gb
              1 HD 160gb
              Why do you need two cd-roms? The cd-rw will do everything that the cd-rom does. If you get rid of the cd-rom that will free up one connector/device.
              Aultl
              [====---] - 65% complete
              VIA Epia 800mhz, 256Mb ram, 10Gb HD

Quote of the Month: "I see the problem, [The RAID controller] is trying to rebuild the array with good data from a failed drive." -- HP Support

Comment

for me (i'm not the topic owner):

cd->cd copy

and back in the day when my first 2x smart and friendly cost $800, because I'd rather wear out the $30 player reading CDs.

Comment

SCSI controller Fast..... but expensive
                  TruckinMP3
                  D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

scsi's getting down there. I picked up an ultra 160 dual channel, 64 bit, controller for $50 at a forclosure

Comment

Ide drives are so cheap now that i think id rather stick with them......maybe a Raid controller?

If i got a Raid controller but then decided i didnt want to RAID in anyway can i turn the functons off and just use it as a ide controller.

Comment

Lcd issue...

Oh is anyone good with LCD's?

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20315

Comment

directron.com has their own brand of controllers starting at $16, scsi, sata, ata. oh these are just your basic 32bit 2 channel controllers.

What do you need a zip100 drive for?

To make things easier, think about getting a cd duplicator with firewire ports.
                          Falcon cr53 w/ via epia m10000. Nokia 3650 blutooth phone.
                          Better than winamp. Click here for qcd player.

Comment

I picked up an ATA133 RAID controller based on the Silicon Image 680 chipset for 20 from Maplin.

It works for hdds in RAID 0/1/0+1, JBOD, as single drives (no RAID type) and also will do ATAPI devices (cdrom etc), which some controller cards won't do

Garry
                            Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                            www.aimee.cc

Comment

Oh your not wrong!! i can see it on the webby......might just pop down and get one!!

that would give me another 4 devices..is the controller good i though raid cards were normally 70 squid;..

cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X