Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire identification on D-Link Radio

Hey all,

I have hacked up a D-Link USB radio. I desoldered the RCA connector on the board and wired my car attenna directly to the points on the radios board (center being negative).

I also cut up the USB/audio cable so that I could run the wires internally inside my computer. I have the USB part working, but there are 4 wires for the audio which are confusing me. Usually there are only 3 wires, a left, right, and a ground for a typical stereo hookup. In this case there are 3 colored wires, and 1 bare wire, and I would like to hook it up to say an internal CD-ROM connector on my built-in audio (which has the 3 typical wires). The 4 wires coming from the radio board are Yellow, Blue, Brown and then the bare wire.

ANY help in how I would hook this up, or how I can test for + and - on the audio wires would be MUCH appreciated. I would normally of hacked up the audio connector that I cut off to find out which wires were which, but I somehow have lost it.

Cheers all!
    OrangeWhip? OrangeWhip? 3 OrangeWhips!!
    www.whipflash.com
    Finally a new Avatar!

the bare wire might be earth ground.

Comment

Are the wires actually reversed on these d-links? I did some multimeter test on my d-link radio antenna and found that the center probe of the RCA connector is connected to the actual metal antenna portion. Isn't this the antenna part? The outer part of the RCA connector is just for support and ground. I've read other threads and they also say they're backwards. Any clarification? Thanks

Comment

i know.. i wired up a connector for mine, but i get like no reception using the inner portion of the rca jack as ground... haven't felt like taking out my center console to try the other way
        Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
        Mods: Yep
        Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

Originally posted by greddy0
          Are the wires actually reversed on these d-links? I did some multimeter test on my d-link radio antenna and found that the center probe of the RCA connector is connected to the actual metal antenna portion. Isn't this the antenna part? The outer part of the RCA connector is just for support and ground. I've read other threads and they also say they're backwards. Any clarification? Thanks

I have no idea actually. I had it originally hooked up as if the center pin was +, but then reading all the threads I reversed it. This could be one of the reasons why I cannot hear anything.

Is there a earth ground on a USB port? If so, then this may need to be grounded too because it was all originally in a usb plug...
          OrangeWhip? OrangeWhip? 3 OrangeWhips!!
          www.whipflash.com
          Finally a new Avatar!

Comment

Originally posted by orangewhip
            I have no idea actually. I had it originally hooked up as if the center pin was +, but then reading all the threads I reversed it. This could be one of the reasons why I cannot hear anything.

Is there a earth ground on a USB port? If so, then this may need to be grounded too because it was all originally in a usb plug...
            I currently have the center pin as + (plugged the antenna straight into the d-link =). But the reception still sucks!!! So you're saying the otherway doesn't work either!! Well, guess I won't waste my time making a reverse cable =( Haven't hear anything about ground for the antenna. Most antennas for handheld radios are just a piece of wire or telescoping shaft.

Comment

Doesnt the D-link have a regular style head phone plug for audio out. I think the USB portion is just for power and controlling the radio it self. THere seems to be quite a bit of different USB pin out configurations. Check out this link for USB Pin out configurations..
              http://www.vpi.us/technote.html

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/BelkinM...e_assembly.htm <---Standard USB Pinout

As for your audio cable hook up. Get a multimeter and check which wires go to you audio connector. THere are only 3 connections at the audio connector so check you continuity from your wires to the connection and walla, you should be able to do it from there.

As for the antenna connection, this is usually the case. Poor reception with these is inevitable(spelling). I had one of these for a while and gave up on the idea. There really hasnt been a successfull install using these. They were made as a cheap add on for your computer, but obviously have been discontinued for a reason. Some people are successfull using fm antenna boosters. But I have used these before for just my regular car stereo with out any success either. Basically what I guess I am telling you is GOOD LUCK. There may be hope yet, but I dont know what the solution is.

Comment

I am at the same point that you. With a friend, we remove the RCA jack and solder cable from the board holes to the antena connector of our box.
                Last tests I have done seemed to work. But I think reception is now worse than before, I'll have to verify against a new radio connected via USB in the tradiotional way.

The cable you mention:

USB: red, white, green and black
                Audio: brown (gnd) yellow and blue. Don't remember which one is left but... does it really mind?
                Black(2): Shield

The black cable which is in the same row as the audio pins, is the shield of the cable. We found that, when connected, in the board plug the black one of the USB row is the same of the shield (this black from the audio row). They were connected, and we considered both GND. Hope we are right , but if anyone knows it for sure, we'll be happy to know, as today we started a discussion about if USB needed that shield or not (I think it should be connected to the outer part of the usb plug)

Comment

Originally posted by NightHunter
                  There really hasnt been a successfull install using these. They were made as a cheap add on for your computer, but obviously have been discontinued for a reason. Some people are successfull using fm antenna boosters.
                  Actually mine works quite well. My car had an antenna amp built-in and once I got it wired up correctly, my reception is pretty good. I still get a little bit of alternator whine when the line in volume is set too high.

Comment

Anybody want to share what they did to improve the reception ?

I have a FM Amp that I bought for a Car Stereo, it has the Car-Stereo Connector, Male on one side, female on the other.. and a red wire.. I assume that's power, but do you the ground the connector ? Or what's the wireing supposed to look like ??
                    -Thanks
                    Home Page
                    New '93 R1
                    http://member.newsguy.com/~gfxfctry/...Signiature.jpg

Comment

Heres a quick pic of the d link antenna cut open...the center pin IS the antenna. Seems to work well even without an antenna plugged in for me here on the bench
                      Attached Files
                      2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

That is what I tested also. The center pin as the antenna. Not sure how these other guys are testing their antennas... I've also notice that the radio works but isn't powerful enough to pull in stations. When I'm downtown it works fine but out in the suburbs it sucks. Might try an antenna booster.

Comment

looks like i'm ripping mine out tonight and swapping my antenna wires around
                          Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
                          Mods: Yep
                          Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

Originally posted by wi77iam
                            Actually mine works quite well. My car had an antenna amp built-in and once I got it wired up correctly, my reception is pretty good. I still get a little bit of alternator whine when the line in volume is set too high.
                            I hooked mine up to my STi also and it works great, I tested the amp, by applying power to the power antenna lead in the harness, when powered all is nice and when not the stations don't come in.

I made a bypass hookup though, so my HU still gets FM too.

The tricky thing about antenna making is you want the center element always sheilded by surounding it witht he ground.

I have altenator whine now in my system. Even when the radio is not on, I think it's coming in the Line-In jack. I'm gonan try to trun down the line in gain and see what happens.
                            SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
                            GPSing - Digital Speedo
                            Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
                            Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

I was testing the dlink more in my car and found that if i touched the outer sheild of the antenna to the aux rca outter sheild the line noise went completly away.

I'm going to try to ground it to the ground on the stereo wiring harness and see what happens.
                              SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
                              GPSing - Digital Speedo
                              Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
                              Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

Working...
                              X