New at this

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New at this

Alright please bear with me as i have just stumbled on this site and found that all this is very interesting.
    Iam wondering what all i would need to have a stand alone computer in my car that totally controlls my audio and dvd functions through my screens. Also what kind of program would be best to run this sort of function. Iam looking for a touchscreen setup so that info will also be appreciated. if there are any tutorials on here and anyone would like to direct me there that would be appreciated also. Thank you in advance for your help.

newbie FAQs
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16913

"media engine" or any of the like awsome apps that have been provided by kind souls with programming skills.

as for screen... lilliput and xenarc. should be something in the FAQs

blam!
    car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

EPIK, first rule... search! Those questions have been asked a couple of times

but for screens www.digitalww.com
      most people use mini-itx motherboards by www.via.com.tw

Comment

thanks

sorry i figured i did something wrong but i did search a lil but nobody is saying what exactly they did for sound on a stand alone system all i have seen is ppl runing it through a deck and thats not what i wanna do but thank you everyone that took the time to reply

Also how fast or what kind of motherboard should i get to run a system like thiss and what kinda video card should be used or can one off of the motherboard work?

Comment

I replaced my HU, and i've spoken about it 4 or 5 times

I've been having a lot of trouble with the search engine. I wounder what powers it? it seems to have a whole lot of sucking going on.

IMO the best way to find what your looking for is go to the topic that you would likely ask the question for yourself, and then just browse a couple of pages.

Comment

Personally I am planning my system and I am going to be using a Soyo Dragon Ultra Platinum KT333 Motherboard with a 1.2Ghz CPU (because it was given to me and I know it has raid that will probably not even be used but it has awesome sound output *Front L/R, Center, Rear L/R, and independant Bass output*)

Which brings me to how I am doing Carputer with no head unit..
            I am gonna run 2 or 3 amps... once dedicated for base (1600 watt) and either 2-2channel or 1-4channel for my rear and front... and prolly get a small lil 100watt or less and use the center channel to power some extra tweets (not decided bout that yet any suggestions?)

Thus elliminating the need for a head unit to handel the audio distribution...

Comment

Originally posted by Twizted
              Personally I am planning my system and I am going to be using a Soyo Dragon Ultra Platinum KT333 Motherboard with a 1.2Ghz CPU (because it was given to me and I know it has raid that will probably not even be used but it has awesome sound output *Front L/R, Center, Rear L/R, and independant Bass output*)

Which brings me to how I am doing Carputer with no head unit..
              I am gonna run 2 or 3 amps... once dedicated for base (1600 watt) and either 2-2channel or 1-4channel for my rear and front... and prolly get a small lil 100watt or less and use the center channel to power some extra tweets (not decided bout that yet any suggestions?)

Thus elliminating the need for a head unit to handel the audio distribution...
              the center channel should be able to handle it's own high frequency. any other tweeters should be parts of a component pair (say, the front door speakers) if you ask me.

what the hell are you going to power with 1600 watts?
              or is that 1600 watts at 1 ohm

Comment

Originally posted by robiewp
                what the hell are you going to power with 1600 watts?
                or is that 1600 watts at 1 ohm
                LoL... I am into BIG Bass.... I have a Rockford Fosgate 15" that can handel 2000watt... not sure how I will configure the Subs... or if I will use over one (the 15RF)..

The amp is a Power Acoustik Gothic 1600 x 2 channel

Not even sure I will use the Center channel as I dunno if it would be a good idea.. Not sure how I should place speakers for it.. All really need is Front component set L/R, Rear and Subs... Might possibly use it for Mids? set or 10" woofers? hmm dunno..

Comment

i like my eardrumbs and teeth, thank you.

I personally don't think the center channel is too important in a car. I don't think much of the DIN or alpine centers out there, and a car is already like a giant headphone.

doors probably = mids (object and I'll drive across the country just to slap you)... so you're covered on that front.

2way backs, sub, and component fronts sound like good coverage to me.

Comment

LMAO...
                    Hmmm, Funny... Most ppl say that to me..

My current system is located in my 89 Dodge Extended Custom Convertion Van (Very Pimpin) and consists of

JVC Head unit 50x4
                    Factory Speakers (Yuk... but I dont exactly have money to put speakers in a vehicle I dont plan on driving much longer)
                    DHD Power Cruiser 750watt amp
                    3 American Legacy 800 watt amps
                    All custom wired and mounted. Gold Dist. blocks ect.
                    15" Rockford Fosgate Comp. 2000watt power handeling
                    2x 15" Super Blue (or Super BOO)
                    2x 12" 800watt Audiobahn in Bandpass

I am planning on canning the Super Blue's (actually there good speakers) and also the Legacy amps and the JVC HU... Would like to get another DHD (for front channels) and I am getting the PA 1600 for the 15" Rockford. (Not sure if I will use the Audiobahn's as my car has alot less space *87 Nissan Pulsar SE*)

Comment

yah

u sound kinda like me i have all alpine conponents and 6*9s im running a alpine r 15 sub and two 8 solobarics. i was just hoping that splitting that line out for the sub would distort the sound. the front and rear will be ok because i only have one amp powering those but i have 2 amps for the subs the two 8s run off of one amp and the 15 runs off another amp but i guess i will only know when i hook it up.
                      and thanks for the idea on the center channel thing i might actually use it for a center channel not that it is needed but u can never have too many speakers in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                      X