Powered USB Hubs and Devices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powered USB Hubs and Devices

In my setup, I plan on having a 4-port USB hub connected to my carPC in the trunk via an active extension cable. I've done a lot of looking around and see some powered hubs (with separate adaptor and wire) and some without. In my front 4-port hub i would hook up accessories like a keyboard, mouse, PS2 controller converter (for emulation)....and simple stuff like that. SHould I worry about getting a powered hub? What USB devices NEED a powered hub to function?? webcam? Just curious, because at the same time, I dont want my devices to go dead if i hook up stuff into all 4 ports on the front hub at the same time.
    '03 Acura TL PC FINISHED!!
    MP3CAR

optical mice frequently require powered hubs.
    car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

When you check the hardware properties of the USB hub with the USB devices plugged in, then it will show you the current consumption of these devices. Devices with a current below 100mA can be powered by any hub, devices above 100mA typically require a powered hub or a dedicated host port.

white bream
      working on a trilogy: CARGO - UNIGO - MERGO
      CARGO = the Car Computer
      Intel Celeron M, [P]SDC, uBlox GPS, GPRS, WLAN, Silabs FM, RDS, TMC,
      Dual-audio, Onecable TFT, Microsize: 45 x 108 x 168mm (1.8 x 4.3 x 6.6")

Comment

I have all that stuff (Logitech cordless mouse USB, Intel USB webcam, Radioshack playstation controller --> USB adapter (for using PSOne/PS2 controller on your computer) on my main computer and I looked up the power ratings and got the following (from Device Manager in XP Pro):

-Logitech Cordless Click Plus! USB mouse (listed as HID Compliant Mouse) --> 50mA (its wireless tho and the mouse is powered by 2 AA batteries so a regular corded mouse might be more power)
        -PSOne to USB Adapter (listed as HID Compliant Game Controller) --> 100mA
        Intel CS330 Webcam --> 500mA

I would say go for the powered hub, just because the game controller alone is 100mA!

-Josh

Comment

My powered hub works fine without the external power source.

I'm powering my keyboard, usb->serial adapter, and cell phone atm. But, I was unable to use my 802.11b reciever.

I assume it will work fine if I plug in the external power source, but for now its plugged into the onboard port.
          -TJ
          Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
          CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
          Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

Comment

My Gyration + Linksys WiFi suck power, when I pull the power to my 4 port hub, bye bye...
            SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
            GPSing - Digital Speedo
            Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
            Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

Ihave an external HArd drive, 4.3 gb, powered on USB. It is just a laptop drive but it sucks power as expected aswell. Powered hubs are the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedFreak03
                -Logitech Cordless Click Plus! USB mouse (listed as HID Compliant Mouse) --> 50mA (its wireless tho and the mouse is powered by 2 AA batteries so a regular corded mouse might be more power)
                -PSOne to USB Adapter (listed as HID Compliant Game Controller) --> 100mA
                Intel CS330 Webcam --> 500mA

I would say go for the powered hub, just because the game controller alone is 100mA!
                You can use four of these game controllers on a single buspowered hub with no problems. For the camera you need a powered hub though.

white bream
                working on a trilogy: CARGO - UNIGO - MERGO
                CARGO = the Car Computer
                Intel Celeron M, [P]SDC, uBlox GPS, GPRS, WLAN, Silabs FM, RDS, TMC,
                Dual-audio, Onecable TFT, Microsize: 45 x 108 x 168mm (1.8 x 4.3 x 6.6")

Comment

Where are you guys getting the power from, for the USB hub? Are you using an inverter?

Comment

Originally posted by afr0puff
                    Where are you guys getting the power from, for the USB hub? Are you using an inverter?
                    I use a keypower 250 watt 12 volt PS.

I just grab 5 volts from the red wire on the molex connector.

You can also use a cheap device from radioshack that takes 12 volts and makes 5 volts.
                    SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
                    GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Originally posted by LESLIEx317537
                      I use a keypower 250 watt 12 volt PS.

I just grab 5 volts from the red wire on the molex connector.

You can also use a cheap device from radioshack that takes 12 volts and makes 5 volts.
                      Amen to that Brutha!!

This is an easy fix for this or you could tear one of THESE apart and wire it to the car if you are using a bus powered hub
                      Aura MR62 (F and R)
                      My Current MP3s
                      IamDefiler.com

Comment

I'm helping my friend muild a CarPC, and we just ordered hubs like this off eBay.
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=41911

Just chop the ac head off and wire it to molex or other 5 volt source.
                        GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

The only problem with most powered hubs and the common cigarrete lighter adapters is the the hubs require 2.6 amps. Most power adapters only supply 1000ma. 1amp. This may blow the internal fuse in the power adapters. I had this problem with hooking up an external dvd drive. The drive also required 3 amps and the adapter was on 1.5 amps. So as you can imagine, the adapter I bought for $10.00 went back to walmart and I bought a paid extra for a 5amp adapter off the web. Cant recall the website though. SORRY

Comment

Originally posted by Defiler
                            Amen to that Brutha!!

This is an easy fix for this or you could tear one of THESE apart and wire it to the car if you are using a bus powered hub
                            how much voltage and amperage does this supply... Looks interesting but doesnt say.

Comment

2.6 amps if your hooking up glow rods.
                              GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Working...
                              X