DVD DECODER

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD DECODER

Can you use jus any decoder card with any drive or are the somewhat specific....or can i jus use software DVD with my celeron 433
    ------2000 S-10 Xtreme----------
    BookPC 433 5.6" LCD
    128mb ATI AIW
    18gb Laptop HD DVD
    GPS TV
    Wireless Internet
    Wireless LAN
    ***VIDEO SURVEILLANCE***

AIM: Kinnish0 (Drop me a line)
    KinnishXtreme( IN CAR SN)

Link To My XtremePC2001 Page
    Pic's of Install Here

Now if anybody answers that, perhaps somebody could tell me why my Pentium III 600Mhz with 160MB / 8xDVD won't play movies smooth, using the PowerDVD software decoder???

Comment

FreznoSmooth, you should be fine. If you have problems, yes, a decoder card will work with any drive.

Fjmedinaa, make sure bus-mastering is enabled in the bios and in Windows.

Comment

Get a freeware program called DVD Genie. It will help you tweak your video card and sound card settings for maximum DVD performance.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris Snyder:
          Fjmedinaa, make sure bus-mastering is enabled in the bios and in Windows.</font>
          I forgot to mention I'm using Windows 2000 Pro, how do I do that here? BTW my motherboard is a Gigabyte, if that matters. also, I'll search the DVD Genie...

Comment

I we running an AMD k6-2 400 with a rage 128 card and was getting excellent results. (30% processor usage) I had DMA enabled. I have since upgraded to an MSI K7T motherboard and a duron 700. I still have all of the other components in the system. (except the sound is now on board) Now I get terrible results with dvd. It wouldn't work until i turned of DMA and now it is really choppy. I have tried WinDVD and a Cinemaster decoder which is optomised for a Rage card. Both use about 70% of the cpu. Would a good old fashioned reformat fix this? How can I get DMA to work? Thanks.
            Got started with computers on this board early in high school...now I run a web development company and am about to build my dream machine.

Comment

Yeah that's the thing, does anyone know much about this cpu DVD decoding? My Celeron 700 just can't smoothly playback dvd. I have a 32MB Video card, DMA enabled on the drive, and it's still pooh. Grrr. I can't fit another card in it, does anyone suggest an intergrated DVD decoder AGP slot Video Card?
              ps I can't find anything here in Oz (west).

Thanks

Bj
              BjBlaster! Car MP3 & Carputer!
              bjblaster.com

"The solution to one problem is only the beginning of another"

Comment

One Word:
                AMD
                Celeron just won't cut it. Trust me

------------------
                abcd-1
                Author of CobraI and CobraII.
                For more information on the COBRA Application's please visit the link. For the latest or updated info on CobraII please click on the link. Get new updated files for CobraII here. ftp://pictures[email protected]/d:/newdlls
                You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is Cenwesi
                Webpage comming soon!

Official Cobra Page
                abcd-1
                Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
                You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

Athlons are a ton better than Pentiums (especially the celeries). Another thing to check: Make sure you have the right driver for your IDE bus. There should be a CD included with the motherboard with proper drivers. Otherwise, check the motherboard manufactorer's website.

Comment

all you have to do is get a dvd decoder card such as the hollywood decoder or somthing. you can run dvd's smoothly with a pentium mmx then! all the decoding is done on the board and not on the processor causing your system to work better.

Comment

Maybe somebody can help me though with a question i have. My mobo only has one pci slot and one isa slot. Well all of the combo cards that has dvd decoding and video cards all in one is agp. If anyone can point me twords one thats not i would be greatful. I could settle for a decoder card and a video card. But i need tv out on both then. I can find any video cards with tv out in a isa version. and i cant find any decoder cards in a isa version so i dont know what to do. It would work with two cards cause i could always have a switch to change the display from dvd to the video card.

Any body who have come across these cards give a shout out thanks

Comment

this may be a waste of a post, but i'm rather sure that ati chips generally contain dvd-algorithim helper type stuff. <ahem> probably not a straight dvd decoder, but coupled with a some cpu will decode dvds readily. i know they come in pci form, possibly even up to the radeon level, but a rage 128 or rage pro would probably suit you.
                        _purei

Comment

i had an ati all-in-wonder 8mb pci card that had tv out and had an onboard dvd decoder. they're cheap now.....
                          "if everything is under control, you're not going fast enough!"

Comment

yep, that is what i have. And add an AMD cpu and u are set. Again personally getting a DVD decoder card is a waste of money and slot. Lets all be real here. When u are watching DVD, you sure aint going to be running MS word or even surfing the net, u just want to watch the damn bloody movie.

------------------
                            abcd-1
                            Author of CobraI and CobraII.
                            For more information on the COBRA Application's please visit the link. For the latest or updated info on CobraII please click on the link. Get new updated files for CobraII here. ftp://pictures[email protected]/d:/newdlls
                            You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is Cenwesi
                            Webpage comming soon!

Official Cobra Page
                            abcd-1
                            Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
                            You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

cenwesi, actually the decoder card is crutial for my system just because of the small processor in it. I am only going to be running a mmx at top! so for me to be able to run dvd i need the decoder card! and hopefully be running your software too!

Comment

Working...
                              X