Review - Shuttle XPC SK41G

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review - Shuttle XPC SK41G

ok, i got this last week from newegg.com for $175. Link I was either going to get this or a m10000 and im glad i went with this. For the price, it cant be beat and it comes with the case. In the past ive made custom plexi cases but they sucked and im not going to waste 3 months again making it. The thing i like about this is that it runs cool and i currently have a 1.7ghz AMD Athlon XP in there, 60gig hd, 512megs ddr 2100, Pioneer slot load dvd, 802.11b wireless, and a SB Live. I know it may not be able to fit in my dash but o well, it works, is fast, runs cool, and is very quiet (thanks to I.C.E. technology), is light (its all aluminium). Shuttle also has additional options and accessories.

For $175 shipped you cant go wrong! Lemme know what you think.
    2004 F-150
    Shuttle XPC, 80gig HD, Wireless Internet, DVD
    "How piMP3d is your ride??"

Im thinking about going with the 45G model becuase it allows you more overclocking/underclocking options. Also the MCP-T (nforce 2 southbridge) means you get a higher quality onboard sound. Although, i probally wont hear the diffrence. Btw, Good call on going AMD. Alot of people i talked with about the project told me that "you cant have an AMD chip, they'll burn up", i just sat there and laughed.

How are you powering it? Invertor, or did you go for the opus.

Comment

Originally posted by Audio Bandit
      Im thinking about going with the 45G model becuase it allows you more overclocking/underclocking options. Also the MCP-T (nforce 2 southbridge) means you get a higher quality onboard sound. Although, i probally wont hear the diffrence. Btw, Good call on going AMD. Alot of people i talked with about the project told me that "you cant have an AMD chip, they'll burn up", i just sat there and laughed.

How are you powering it? Invertor, or did you go for the opus.
      I'm also curious.
      http://home.comcast.net/~tvieira24/srtsig.jpg

smile

Comment

inverter!

im now trying to figure out how to turn it on without going to the trunk. i have a switch for the LCD and inverter up front next to my seat. I really dont want to go the Opus route. $170 is alot for such a small psu.
        2004 F-150

Comment

The $170 is not just for the PSU, it is for not having to go to the trunk to turn the computer on...

Originally posted by RaZor
          inverter!

im now trying to figure out how to turn it on without going to the trunk. i have a switch for the LCD and inverter up front next to my seat. I really dont want to go the Opus route. $170 is alot for such a small psu.

Comment

Im using a 65G2 with an invertor I also bought the remote control PN 31 as I thought it would power up as well as down. But seems to only power down.

Havent got from the bench to the car yet. But I think my BMW 330 cab 2002 will survive the crank.
            Car: BMW 330 Cab 2002.
            System: Shuttle SB65G2. P4 3.0GHz HT. DVD-ROM. ATI Radeon 9000.
            Corsair 1GB DDR. Maxtor 200GB. Winfast TV Tuner. WiFi. Lilliput 7" TS.

Comment

If you go with AMD, the mobile 2500+ part is considered an awesome deal. Consumes very little power. A bit over $90 at newegg.

Comment

yeah, i ended up getting a 2500+ and then swapping my 1.6 amd into the shuttle. Theres no way the computer in the car is going to be more powerful than my home computer. heh.
                2004 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by RaZor
                  inverter!

Cut the wires going to the switch on the inverter, run the same gauge to the switch you have next to your seat and enjoy.

Also, if you set the BIOS to boot after power loss you don't need to run wires for the computer switch either. When you turn the inverter on it will power the computer automaticly.
                  Aura MR62 (F and R)
                  My Current MP3s
                  IamDefiler.com

Comment

I didn't realize that this route is the same price as an m10000. I'm really considering this now. The only problem is, though I've been around computers for years, I've never had an amd processor. Therefore I don't know the differences in processor speeds as compared to a pentium. Does anyone have a site I could check out for this? Also, other than the inverter are there any other problems associated with this method. Ie do dvd's run well on just the processor, I know the epia has a dvd decoder to handle playback. I've never played a dvd on a computer so I'm not sure how it would compare to a normal home theater player. Thanks guys

Comment

The model numbers are "roughly" equivalent to a P4 running at that number in GHz. That is 2500+ is roughly comparable to a P4 2.5GHz.

This is more true at the low end and less true at the high end (AMD tends to lag just a little). Also, P4s do really well at media stuff where they can leverage their SSE2 (multiple data instructions...kinda like vector processing) and hyperthreading.

I'm considering getting a mobile AMD processor as you can even undervolt them for less power dissapation...my goal is a passively cooled system.

Comment

For all you shuttle sk41 users go with the opus power supply. You would never regret it. When i first got my shuttle i tried everything to power the unit (inverter, ups). They ease with the opus makes carputing the best thing ever. Its a little $$ but diffenetly worth it. Also there is a kit that alows the power supply to fit perfect into the shuttles.
                        Opus case. MB 899 core duo 2.0ghz
                        Dual vga out, 400 gb hard drive, Centrefuse front end
                        zapco 1000.4 for zapco 6.5 componets
                        zapco 1100.1 for 2 13" W6.

Comment

Originally posted by ktritz
                          The model numbers are "roughly" equivalent to a P4 running at that number in GHz. That is 2500+ is roughly comparable to a P4 2.5GHz.

This is more true at the low end and less true at the high end (AMD tends to lag just a little). Also, P4s do really well at media stuff where they can leverage their SSE2 (multiple data instructions...kinda like vector processing) and hyperthreading.

I'm considering getting a mobile AMD processor as you can even undervolt them for less power dissapation...my goal is a passively cooled system.
                          I have a Mobile 2000+ right now, in my carputer, running at it's stock voltage (1.45V) w/ an Arkura 628 Heatsink and an LED 80mm fan. At idle it's only 3 Deg. Celsius above ambient temp. This chip is pretty bad a$$. Seriously considering getting a Mobile 2500+ to replace my regular 2500+ for my home box. You can OC the crud out of these things.
                          Aura MR62 (F and R)
                          My Current MP3s
                          IamDefiler.com

Comment

Working...
                          X