All In One PC / Keyboard Unit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All In One PC / Keyboard Unit

First, Lemme apologise if this is a double post...
    I tried once, but think I did something wrong....

OK, before you old skool boys and gals go mad.... I know this hasnt had the blood sweat and tears poured over it by you die hard carputer addicts.....

BUT it is pretty interesting.....

http://www.3ctech.co.uk/acatalog/Co...otprint_PC.html

I know it's bulky
    I'm sure there will be issues why you WOULDNT want to use it.
    (price and size are 2 that immediately spring to mind)

A Pentium P4 2.8 with 512 ram, 40 gb hard disk, and DVD comes in at about 850

Yup 850, but thats including VAT...( though that is for the complete PC excluding screen)

I reakon though, if you run it with a Touchscreen, you could install the PC in the boot/trunk, and just access via the touchscreen????

What do you think?

Steve
    - A complete Carputer novice!! -

Fixed link

Still a bit bulky for me...I have nowhere to put a full-sized keyboard anyway!

Give me a small, Zippy EL-610 sized (and backlit too) pc, and i'll be jumping for joy

Garry
    Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
    www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Confused
      Thanks for fixing the link... it worked on the preview!!
      steve

Comment

Come on, a whole thread about this, and noone said Commodore 64? I'm dissappointed...

Neat concept, nothing I want...looks like a product looking for a niche.
        MP3 MR2 (click here for details)
        Hardware: EPIA M10000, 512Meg Ram, 5.6"TFT, Opus 150watt DC-DC PSU
        Software: Windows 2000, Media Engine 2.0

Comment

pfft
          commodore 128 was nicer.

fun to pull apart too.
          Dark Metallic red 300zx GLL turbo
          Ultra compact AMD k6 500mhz
          512mb SDram, 20gb hdd
          Clipped and modified PsOne (sony) LCD
          GeForce2 mx440

Comment

Originally posted by stevepud
            First, Lemme apologise if this is a double post...
            I tried once, but think I did something wrong....

OK, before you old skool boys and gals go mad.... I know this hasnt had the blood sweat and tears poured over it by you die hard carputer addicts.....

BUT it is pretty interesting.....

http://www.3ctech.co.uk/acatalog/Co...otprint_PC.html

I know it's bulky
            I'm sure there will be issues why you WOULDNT want to use it.
            (price and size are 2 that immediately spring to mind)

A Pentium P4 2.8 with 512 ram, 40 gb hard disk, and DVD comes in at about 850

Yup 850, but thats including VAT...( though that is for the complete PC excluding screen)

I reakon though, if you run it with a Touchscreen, you could install the PC in the boot/trunk, and just access via the touchscreen????

What do you think?

Steve
            why not a laptop?
            ProjectEZP.com next generation police speedtrap locator. Free database for your GPS system (includes US/Canada).

Comment

Originally posted by blaster
              why not a laptop?
              I'm actually planning a laptop install....
              I'm beginning to wonder though whether I should have gone for a PC though.
              The laptop was a freebie, so that was a big deciding factor.....

BUT

the problems I see with a laptop are.....

Limited expansion/ugrade options

storage in the car. (I hung a laptop on a wall for 8 weeks, and it died.... overheated I think) so it'll need to lay flat, with easy access to the DVD drive.

I dont want to get the laptop out everytime I want to do something, so I have a small keyboard.
              I have a Lilly Touchscreen, so a mouse isnt always needed, though I'll probably use one sometimes - not the nipple mouse though as again, dont want to get the laptop out each time

Some of the threads in here, have mentioned running longer cables, and having the CD/DVD drive mounted in the front of the car.
              That'd be nice, but not easy with a laptop. Sure I could go with a USB2 PCMCIA card, cable and external drive.... more money!

I'm sure theres something satisfying in being able to stand back at the end of the install and think... "yeah I built all that"
              I wont have that, cos I just chucked a laptop and some bits in a car!

If I ever do another install, I'll go with a boot mounted PC, dash mounted CD/DVD drive, touchscreen, and keyboard

steve

Comment

Working...
              X