ISA slot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISA slot

I am going to be using a older mobo and it has a agp, 2 pci and 1 ISA slot. I'm already using the agp and 2 pci slots and i still need a nic. I'v never used the ISA slot, nor do i understand what it is. Would there be any drawbacks in using the ISA slot for a nic? heres what i im going to use http://store.yahoo.com/directron/ea201.html

ISA is an outdated equivalent to PCI. It is no longer used (I don't think) and you need a card that is made for an ISA slot and you can't use one that is made for a PCI slot. I think the ISA bus is also really slow compared to the PCI. If you can I would get a board with PCI.
    2003 Audi A4 1.8t (Totaled, Project Canceled)

Comment

i have pci slots and i found a ISA NIC (click the link) I was just wandering if it was going to be to slow

Comment

Originally posted by Sway
        i have pci slots and i found a ISA NIC (click the link) I was just wandering if it was going to be to slow
        My bad, I didn't read it completely. Um well if the NIC says it will run at 10mb/sec then it will. But just know that there are cards (for ur PCI bus) that will run at 100mb/sec (and now I think they have 1000mb/sec cards). Hope that helps.

Comment

for 10 extra bux you could buy a pci card that you would be able to use in the future.
          2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

so if my calculations are correct it would take 1 min to send 600mb of data, so are my calculations correct?

Comment

so if my calculations are correct it would take 1 min to send 600mb of data, so are my calculations correct?
              Lets see, 1000mb = 1gb so, 1000 divided by 10 = 100 sec = 1min 40 secs. I think I'm right, if I'm not please someone correct me. But now they have Gigabit Ethernet so thats like one sec for a gig. Ya I think your calculations are correct. It's not a bit diffrence but as files get larger you want to wait less, ya know?

Comment

i dont under stand the point of that your HD cant even write 600mb per second can it? it takes me like a couple of mins to transfer a 600mb file between two HD's

Comment

i dont under stand the point of that your HD cant even write 600mb per second can it? it takes me like a couple of mins to transfer a 600mb file between two HD's
                  Yes HDs are supposed to write at like 133mb/sec (or higher with SATA) but they rarely hit that high. I'm not to sure how that all ties in but there must be something because why else would people by gigabit cards (besides just having them)?

Comment

Sway - that NIC is fine. If all you have is an ISA slot, it is ok to use.

Comment

ok thanks for all the info

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceboy464
                        ISA is an outdated equivalent to PCI. It is no longer used (I don't think) and you need a card that is made for an ISA slot and you can't use one that is made for a PCI slot. I think the ISA bus is also really slow compared to the PCI. If you can I would get a board with PCI.
                        Wow I feel old. Maybe I could pull my out my 486 with VLB out-now that's outdated. Anyways they make 10/100 isa nic which I'm assuming are as fast as 10/100 pci nics. As I recall dealing with IRQs and Interupts got interesting, but I'm not sure performance wise what the drawback would be. The hard drive is the limit not the nic.
                        '03 Sierra Denali

Comment

Just for info:
                          A gigabit card transfers at 1000 megaBITS per second, where as most data is stored in megabytes. So really, a gigabit card can send 1000/8, or 125 megabytes per second. And that's theoretical. Realistically you may be able to get 70%, or 87 megabytes per second across a gig network.

Using that logic, you can scale that down by 10, and realize you will only get roughly 8.7 megabytes / second through a 100 Mb/s ethernet card. And you're only getting 0.87 megabytes though a 10Mb card.

And still, IDE drives write from 40-50 megabytes sustained. So you can calculate a realistic transfer time for a 600 megabyte file with this information. You can blame network equipment manufacturers for trying to make their equipment sound 8x better than it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceboy464
                            Lets see, 1000mb = 1gb so, 1000 divided by 10 = 100 sec = 1min 40 secs. I think I'm right, if I'm not please someone correct me. But now they have Gigabit Ethernet so thats like one sec for a gig. Ya I think your calculations are correct. It's not a bit diffrence but as files get larger you want to wait less, ya know?
                            you forgot on a pc 1gb = 1024 megs
                            Falcon cr53 w/ via epia m10000. Nokia 3650 blutooth phone.
                            Better than winamp. Click here for qcd player.

Comment

good point, but when hdd's and nic's are labled, the marketing scheme is to say 1 gigabytes, the prefix giga means billion, and a billion is 1000 millions, so a 1 gigabyte drive is really only 1000 megs. This is why when u buy a 80 gig drive, its actually 74.5 gigs.
                              2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

Working...
                              X