4.1 Stock AMP - Problems/Questions lexus GS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.1 Stock AMP - Problems/Questions lexus GS

Hey guys I just started getting into this CarPC stuff, and want to do this in my car, I have a 2001 lexus GS300
    My plans are to get rid of the stock HU and put in a Indash 7" VGA touchscreen and PC in the trunk/underseat(not sure yet)

My problem is getting the sound output to my stock speakers, its a 4.1 setup. Stock AMP has NO RCA inputs
    After reading/searching these forums still not sure whats the best way to go

next problem-
    I know most people say external USB sound is better then onboard sound? I was looking at the Audigy2 NX External USB but its 7.1 sound. Im asumming i cant use this cause i need 4.1 correct??

will any/most mini MB with onboard sound work with my setup
    If i can get this done, iam also assuming i can control my speaker volume through windows?

thanks - sorry for all the question
    [M10K][TinyXP][Roadrunner Frontend][OEM Enclosure]
    [iGmon]
    Download MP3 MixTapes

This is a install of a buddy of mine over at clublexus.com
    No carPC though, has AV brain - radio,DVD
    Attached Files
    [iGmon]
    Download MP3 MixTapes

Comment

i'm using an audigy2nx for 4.1 and it works fine

i'd like to see how this goes.. my roomate just got a used gs400
      Car: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S
      Mods: Yep
      Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

Originally posted by 00CericaRuss
        i'm using an audigy2nx for 4.1 and it works fine

i'd like to see how this goes.. my roomate just got a used gs400
        whats up Cerica,
        Yea the main problem is seeing if i can use my stock AMP(w/no rcas)how would i hook up the audigy2nx to that,
        or i was thinking of just replacing the stock amp w/one that has rca inputs(recommened any)
        You can take a look HERE ive been asking the people who know about the lexus stock stereo

any advice on what i should do

tell your roomate to check out clublexus.com, LOTS of info on mods and stuff

thanks
        [iGmon]
        Download MP3 MixTapes

Comment

Originally posted by camsgs3
          whats up Cerica,
          Yea the main problem is seeing if i can use my stock AMP(w/no rcas)how would i hook up the audigy2nx to that,
          or i was thinking of just replacing the stock amp w/one that has rca inputs(recommened any)
          You can take a look HERE ive been asking the people who know about the lexus stock stereo

any advice on what i should do

tell your roomate to check out clublexus.com, LOTS of info on mods and stuff

thanks
          How satisfied are you with the lexus sound? I drive an Audi that came with Bose and it wasn't enough for me. I ended up upgrading all my speakers to JL and I put in a 450/4 JL amp to run them. If your spending the dough to put in a carputer you might as well upgrade the sound while your at it.

Just my 2 cents.
          Joe

Comment

I showed my roomate this post and we wandered over to club lexus last night...
            his gs came used w/full tom's coilovers, stainless brake lines, and a trd front strut bar, so he got some free mods... lucky him.

anyways... if you got an electrical service manual for the car, scan up the pages for the audio and I'll look at it for you, and test on his car... it's the easiest way to figure it out.

As far as amps... there's alot of good amps out there... it really depends on what you want to spend/what kind of power you want.

I've got a soundstream reference 405s for sale
            Carputer: VIA M9000 | Opus 150 | 512MB PC2100 | 60GB Notebook HD | Slim/Slot DVD/CDRW | Audigy2NX | Xenarc 700TSV | (2) DSCustoms DS700HRS (in trunk) | SMC USB 802.11b | CoPilot | DLink FM tuner | Cliffnet

Comment

The Audigy works great as 2ch, all the way up to 7.1 channel. I have it setup as 5.1, but could do 6.1 if I had another speaker (or room for one ).

I suggest you buy 2 amps, a 2ch (bridged for sub), and a 4channel (all your other speakers), or one 5 channel amp (like mine, but I have a 2 channel as well). Crossover points can all be set internally via the SB audigy 2 NX software, and it's really quite good. I had active crossovers on the amps and just used those in the end.

Line-inputs for your factory amp... going to be iffy. I know there are equivalent wires on the stock infinity HU's/amps for 2g Eclipse/Talons, and 3000gt/Stealths, but have not found them on various other cars.

Ditch the HU, replace with touchscreen and laptop, do some wiring and configuring, and you will have a nice setup.

If you need help, I have a friend that works at the Lexus Technical Center, and can pretty much find any info on any lexus, if he doesn't know it already.

I did a seperate volume knob, just desoldered the unit off the audigy nx board, and extended it to the LCD trim panel. Seems to work really well, even has a nice overlay volume bar when you change the vol.

I've attached some pictures of my recently finished setup, this took about a week to do.
              Attached Files

91 Stealth RT/TT
              CarPuter: Inspiron 5150 P4 3.0ghz; Built-in WiFi; Deluo GPS; Radio Shark; OBD1; Nostromo Speedpad
              Audio: Audigy 2 NX; Clarion 500.5 amp; 100.2 center channel amp; Kicker Solo-baric L7 10" Sub
              Display: Lilliput 7" Touchscreen

Comment

I forgot to put a picture of it all covered via the factory spare tire cover.
                Attached Files

91 Stealth RT/TT
                CarPuter: Inspiron 5150 P4 3.0ghz; Built-in WiFi; Deluo GPS; Radio Shark; OBD1; Nostromo Speedpad
                Audio: Audigy 2 NX; Clarion 500.5 amp; 100.2 center channel amp; Kicker Solo-baric L7 10" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by audrenaline
                  How satisfied are you with the lexus sound? I drive an Audi that came with Bose and it wasn't enough for me. I ended up upgrading all my speakers to JL and I put in a 450/4 JL amp to run them. If your spending the dough to put in a carputer you might as well upgrade the sound while your at it.

Just my 2 cents.
                  Joe
                  I think the Stock lexus sound is great, that would make the best sense to upgrade the speakers too, but ill prob. do that later on, I just want to see if i can get this going first, i no nothing about audio systems and how they work, thats why im not sure how to go about this

My Main Goal is have NO HeadUnit, all the sound to the car controlled by windows

thanks for all the help
                  [iGmon]
                  Download MP3 MixTapes

Comment

Originally posted by Vineet Singh
                    I forgot to put a picture of it all covered via the factory spare tire cover.
                    dude, where's your spare tire?
                    car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Originally posted by 00CericaRuss
                      I showed my roomate this post and we wandered over to club lexus last night...
                      his gs came used w/full tom's coilovers, stainless brake lines, and a trd front strut bar, so he got some free mods... lucky him.

anyways... if you got an electrical service manual for the car, scan up the pages for the audio and I'll look at it for you, and test on his car... it's the easiest way to figure it out.

As far as amps... there's alot of good amps out there... it really depends on what you want to spend/what kind of power you want.

I've got a soundstream reference 405s for sale
                      WoW thats some good free Mods have any pics of the GS what size rims?

Im sure i can get that manual from lexus? that would be great if you can let me know whats what, Maybe your friend wants to do the same thing

Now as far as AMPS is the one your selling gonna work with my car(replace my stock AMP)can i hook up a USB AugilyNX to it or use any kind of 4.1 sound card?

Im really not into the sound that much, i think it sounds fine w/stock speakers and sub, how many watt AMP is that

If the numbers are right ill take it off your hands

Here is a PIC of my car(lots of Mods), If your friend has any questions let me know, there are sooo many Mods you can do to this car, look me up at CL (under same screen name here) See the Thread i started at CL about this
                      Attached Files
                      [iGmon]
                      Download MP3 MixTapes

Comment

The Audigy works great as 2ch, all the way up to 7.1 channel. I have it setup as 5.1, but could do 6.1 if I had another speaker (or room for one ).

I suggest you buy 2 amps, a 2ch (bridged for sub), and a 4channel (all your other speakers), or one 5 channel amp (like mine, but I have a 2 channel as well). Crossover points can all be set internally via the SB audigy 2 NX software, and it's really quite good. I had active crossovers on the amps and just used those in the end.
                        yea I think ill go with just one 5 channel AMP
                        One of the electronic guys over at club lexus said
                        "Be careful in that the stock speakers (front) have 2 ohm impedance values. Rears are 4 ohm and the sub is a 2 ohm"
                        Can this be done? not even sure what that means
                        Line-inputs for your factory amp... going to be iffy. I know there are equivalent wires on the stock infinity HU's/amps for 2g Eclipse/Talons, and 3000gt/Stealths, but have not found them on various other cars.
                        Now when u say Line-Inputs this means if i keep my stock AMP, correct?

Ditch the HU, replace with touchscreen and laptop, do some wiring and configuring, and you will have a nice setup.
                        Yea thats what i want to do, but using a Mini - EPIA MB
                        If i cant do it this way, i wont bother doing it at all(too good to be true)....i think this is a great idea, better then having the stock NAV option, ALOT cheaper too
                        How would i power the touchscreen?

If you need help, I have a friend that works at the Lexus Technical Center, and can pretty much find any info on any lexus, if he doesn't know it already.

I did a seperate volume knob, just desoldered the unit off the audigy nx board, and extended it to the LCD trim panel. Seems to work really well, even has a nice overlay volume bar when you change the vol.
                        Thats good to know,maybe you can ask him a question for me can i use a factory AMP without the STOCK HU
                        see what he says would be the best way on doing this

That seperate volume knob is a great idea, but you can also control the volume through the touchscreen(windows) , right?

thanks again guys for all the help
                        [iGmon]
                        Download MP3 MixTapes

Comment

Originally posted by robiewp
                          dude, where's your spare tire?
                          Sweeettt!!!

I don't have one. I've never needed one all these years, 11? , we have 1 or 2 cellphones on us, and AAA (or allstate bs).

91 Stealth RT/TT

Comment

Originally posted by camsgs3

Now when u say Line-Inputs this means if i keep my stock AMP, correct?

Yes, I'm not sure if your stock amp as line level inputs. a 5 channel amp like mine, the APX500.1 Clarion is pretty affordable anyway. Remember one thing though, the sub channel, cannot run in fullpass mode, only low pass (meaning, it can only really be used for a sub, no center or surround speakers).

Yea thats what i want to do, but using a Mini - EPIA MB
                            If i cant do it this way, i wont bother doing it at all(too good to be true)....i think this is a great idea, better then having the stock NAV option, ALOT cheaper too
                            How would i power the touchscreen?

You can do it, there are lots of helpful, knowledgeable people on this board, the questions you are asking are the right ones, even though they show you are inexperienced with this stuff. Do some searches for ohms, and speaker basics, move on to the groundloop page at http://www.epanorama.net/documents/g...oop/index.html , and find a friend that knows how to configure weird drivers in windows XP . The touchscreen I used, and lots of other people use, is the lilliput XGA touchscreen, sometimes there is an ad about it along the top/right of this boards pages (lilliput now). It comes with a 12v cigarette adapter, just cut the cig part off, and wire it to a switched 12v source from your car somewhere.

Thats good to know,maybe you can ask him a question for me can i use a factory AMP without the STOCK HU
                            see what he says would be the best way on doing this

He said the car's AV stuff is very very integrated with the car, setup for AVCLAN even if you don't have GPS/Nav. He hinted that the amp might be controlled by a "bus" of some sort, and turn on digitally, instead of a simple 12v switched turn-on. i'd say ditch it. The factory speaker wiring should all be at that amp location, and those should be fine to tap into with your 5 channel amp.

That seperate volume knob is a great idea, but you can also control the volume through the touchscreen(windows) , right?

Right. I haven't had to use the touchscreen part yet, except one time when the music was louder than the GPS voice prompts.

91 Stealth RT/TT

Comment

the amp is a soundstream reference 405s
                              it's 1/2 ohm stable..
                              here's the values at 4ohms 12v (it will give more power at 14v)
                              25x4
                              100x1
                              it has builtin crossovers.

I had this running my full system in my old car and it sounded great
                              4 - 5 1/4 mb quart
                              4 - 10" rockford subs @ 1ohm

rock solid... slightly low on power, but has never failed on me.

my roomate wants to pretty much get rid of his deck too.

as far as his rims, they're just the stock 17's

Comment

Working...
                              X