I need a 15ft IDE cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a 15ft IDE cable

I plan on mounting my carputer in the trunk and wanting to use a laptop cd rom drive in dash. Where can I buy or make a about a 15ft IDE cable to reach it?

there is no such thing. use a IDE to USB or firewire adapter
    I don't need no stinkin' startup-shutdown controller... That's what journalized filesystems are for...
    NavSys, the ultimate navigation app
    http://www.navsys.org/

Comment

Check out http://www.stonewallcable.com/

They charge by the foot for custom length cables.
      EPIA 800, DWW-7VGA LCD w/Touchscreen, 256mb ram, dvd rom, ati radeon 7000 video card, 80 gb 3.5" hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by KingArthur
        I plan on mounting my carputer in the trunk and wanting to use a laptop cd rom drive in dash. Where can I buy or make a about a 15ft IDE cable to reach it?

It won't work. I think the maximum length an IDE cable can be is 36 inches (three feet). You can go a little further than this, but I can pretty much guarantee you that 15 feet is out of the question.

You might want to try what I am going to be doing. If your motherboard supports booting from USB devices, get a 2.5" USB HD enclosure. If you use a drive with low power requirements, you probably won't even need to run a power cable to the drive. The length will still be an issue, but there's a way around it; use either a USB hub or a USB repeater midway along the length of the cable. This may impact the speed of the drive a hair, but at least it'll work.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Sinister
          It won't work. I think the maximum length an IDE cable can be is 36 inches (three feet). You can go a little further than this, but I can pretty much guarantee you that 15 feet is out of the question.
          Thats not true, there have been a few users on this board that have used 15 foot ide cable's with no problems at all.
          EPIA 800, DWW-7VGA LCD w/Touchscreen, 256mb ram, dvd rom, ati radeon 7000 video card, 80 gb 3.5" hard drive.

Comment

I'm using a micro ATX board and was hoping not to have to buy a bunch of extra's to make it work. Does anyone know a friend or a link to someone that has what I'm trying to do? I guess this is why people use ITX boards.

Comment

Comon now, every knows 15 feet IDE's don't work.
              And I don't exist at all.
              My whole CarPC is fake. lol

I got mine for 16 buks but in NYC.

www.stonewallcable.com but please don't confuse them there.

My friend ordered his 14 foot IDE and the lady emailed him back and doesn't know what he wants. They emailed the tech department.

I've used this cable for 2 years now with slim-line and regular dvd-roms and it works perfect.

I'm done posting pictures. Just believe me.

So yes, 15 foot IDE's work perfect. Make sure it's 80 wire.
              SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
              GPSing - Digital Speedo
              Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
              Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

Here's some images -

This was taken 2 years ago when I first got the cable and was testing it in my room.
                Attached Files
                SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
                GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuk...ewtopic&t=5385

There you can see the IDE in the trunk, and then my front mounted dvd-rom in my glovebox.
                  GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Before you people with sub 10 posts start replying with nonsense, search on the question before answering. My god people!!! You're giving advice without knowing the facts.
                    Aura MR62 (F and R)
                    My Current MP3s
                    IamDefiler.com

Comment

Originally posted by LESLIEx317537
                      http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuk...ewtopic&t=5385

There you can see the IDE in the trunk, and then my front mounted dvd-rom in my glovebox.

Funny thing... this is one of cars that I got the idea about the labtop cdrw/dvd in the dash. I just didn't check out the cable. Thanks for your help, I will order a cable.

Comment

NP, enjoy...

It's convient to have everything up front to install and do stuff.
                        GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

I've checked out stonewallcable, but is there a cheaper place? They want $55+ for one.
                          Greg Hager - 1992 Mustang LX 5.0 - http://hager.no-ip.com/ - http://www.ghager.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GregLXStang
                            I've checked out stonewallcable, but is there a cheaper place? They want $55+ for one.

cant say if this will work (although i do plan on trying it sometime in the near furure), but in other threads i've seen talk of people making them out of cat5 wire. get your 2 connectors, then cut up 5 peices of cat 5 wire (5 cables X 8 strands per cable = 40 wires) and add your own connector at the end.

If you really wanted to do the job right, then you could use 10 lengths of cat5 cable, 80 strands total. make 1 wire in EACH twisted pair a ground wire (read that on the board too).

and of course, make SURE you get each wire lined up right. I would use a meter and buzz out each of the pins to make sure.
                            2000 Jeep Cherokee
                            -CarPC: [_____]50% complete
                            -planning done, still need a few parts
                            -In-dash motorized VGA is finally out, need $$$
                            -Need to replace factory HU

Comment

Stonewall has them cheaper than that.
                              I spoke to the engineering department today on the phone.
                              GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Working...
                              X