Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

slot loading slim dvd drive? any chance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slot loading slim dvd drive? any chance?

looking to get my hands on a SLOT loading slim dvd drive (dvd/cdrw if possible, but i wont be too greedy).

scoured ebay for a bit and couldnt find any.... any ideas guys?
    2000 Jeep Cherokee
    -CarPC: [_____]50% complete
    -planning done, still need a few parts
    -In-dash motorized VGA is finally out, need $$$
    -Need to replace factory HU

http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?src=PW&item=31131

I got that link from here somewhere, don't remember where though.
    Greg Hager - 1992 Mustang LX 5.0 - http://hager.no-ip.com/ - http://www.ghager.com/

Comment

Thanks for the link GregLXStang
      [H]4 Life
      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
      I'm a lesbian too.
      I am for hire!

Comment

wow...$40 bucks?? aren't those only used for macs and need special wiring?

Comment

yes they are a mac drive (if they actually have them in stock) but you can use them quite sucessfully with an adapter from allmac.com. Search for interconnect on their site. the model number of the adapter is BRD-0071 (apple part number 820-1050-A). They were $29.95 at the time I bought mine. There is a long thread about it somewhere, but because my cable is speed limited until the end of the month it would probably take me an hour to search for it
          Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Thanks for everyones input so far, its much appreciated.

did even more research and found someones mention of a slot loading dvd/cdrw? I'm guessing it wasnt slim, but anyone still have info on that one? (I know I'm getting greedy on taht one, but hey, gotta ask )

here's a quick idea of what I am trying to do with it:

first off, in addition to the touchscreen, I wanted a set of actual buttons I could use for faster navigation / less time spent looking at the screen. I didnt want the crappy non-manufactured look of radioshack buttons poking thorugh a peice of plastic, so I decided i would mount the buttons behind a faceplate for some kind of old/broken DIN sized cd player. then I got to thinking, if I got a cd player faceplate off a cheaper cd player, with a slot for loading the cd, I might as well cram a slot loading dvd drive right behind it.

Only hitch to that opperation is my dash size. I've got a standard GM/Chrysler 1.5 DIN opening. top 2/3 is taken up by the real headunit, so that leaves me 1/2 a DIN of unused, fullsize space. with a little trimming on my molding, I can make room for the fullsized faceplate, but space gets narrower and shallower in that bottom half. I'm hoping a slim drive will fit.

Meddler, you wouldnt happen to have the H-W-L dimentions of your drive written down somewhere would you? I emailed the company to see if they could get them for me, but since they dont have any in stock at the moment, i'm not too hopefull on that. Its gonna be a tight fit =)
            thanks for that link on allmac.com with the search term....never would have known what to look for.
            2000 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Spectrrr: As a matter of fact I have the drive right in front of me. it measures W:137mm H:11mm L:153mm (172mm with adapter and cable attached)
              Someone posted the link for the adapter in another thread otherwise it would have taken ages for me to find. If you didn't know to search for interconnect you would never find it. You are probably best looking for a drive on Ebay. That's where I got mine. Hope that helps.
              Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

This one looks nice as well : <http://www.panasonic.co.jp/mke/en/device/storage/dvd_cd/cw_8122_b.html>
                Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

Originally posted by _dopehead_
                  This one looks nice as well : <http://www.panasonic.co.jp/mke/en/device/storage/dvd_cd/cw_8122_b.html>
                  yeah,

this panasonic drive is the bomb. dvd-writer !

-Mike

Comment

Anyone know a price no that panasonic one?
                    Greg Hager - 1992 Mustang LX 5.0 - http://hager.no-ip.com/ - http://www.ghager.com/

Comment

Panasonic CW-8123-B Slim Combo Drive.
                      $169.00 - DFW Depot - CD/DVD Drives
                      Panasonic CW-8123-B Slim Slot Como Drive. Available Q1 2004.
                      Taking pre-orders now! Next version of the CW-8122-B.

Vincortech.com - Category - DVD-ROM/CD-ROM
                      $145.99 - www.vincortech.com
                      ... PRODUCTS: SKU: PRICE: SLIM INTERNAL DRIVES: Panasonic
                      CW-8122-B Slim CD-RW, CW-8122, $145.99, Panasonic CW-8123-B
                      Combo Drive details>>, CW-8123, $145.99, ...

www.froogle.com, searched on CW-8123-B

Comment

To prevent any confusion...

The Axion Technologies link GregLXStang posted hasn't worked in a long time, if ever. A 'not found in our database' page comes up if you try to add the drive to your cart.

There are essentially two options for slim slot-load DVD: iMac drives and Panasonic drives.

The following iMac drives (manufactured by Panasonic/Matsu****a) can be found on eBay:

SR-8184-B (4X iMac)
                        SR-8186-B (6X iMac)
                        SR-8187-B (6X, PowerBook)

All have an upside-down JAE connector on the back. This means that a standard (~$8) adapter will stick out ~3" sideways, rather than just extending the depth of the drive a bit. Big problem for some. The solution is to spend $37 on an adapter from AllMac.com (search for 'interconnect' and choose slot load, site's often down) or WeLoveMacs.com. Another problem with these iMac drives is that their dimensions aren't quite right to fit in PC cases that call for slim drives.

The selection on PC drives is pretty limited. Pretty much all you can buy new right now is the Panasonic UJ-815, which can do everything - 2X DVD-RAM, 2X DVD-R, 1X DVD-RW, 16X CD-R, 8X CD-RW, 24X CD-ROM, & 8X DVD-ROM. $260 from OurStore.com.

There used to be a CW-8122-B drive that did CD-RW & DVD (read-only) - see this review. Hard to find now except for the occasional eBay auction by user exumus for $137.50-$150.

A search I did also pulled up the Matsu****a/Panasonic CR-1750-C from Axion, which is a 24X CD-ROM only.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Comment

For another $100 US, you can add DVD writing capability with model UJ-815-B, again, www.froogle.com searched on UJ-815-B

Panasonic Slot Loading DVD Multi Drive UJ-815-B
                          $245.00 - Ourstore.Com - CD/DVD Drives
                          Panasonic Slot Loading DVD Multi Drive UJ-815-B. Writes DVD-R/-RW/-RAM
                          CD-R/-RW. Comparable to the Panasonic CF-VDM731U and the ...

Panasonic UJ-815-B (UJ815B) 2X Internal DVD-RAM/R/RW Slot Loading ...
                          $289.00 - Jazz Technology - CD/DVD Drives
                          Panasonic UJ-815-B (UJ815B) 2X Internal DVD-RAM/R/RW Slot
                          Loading Slimline Drive (OEM Bare Drive) - PAUJ815B

Panasonic Slot Loading DVD Multi Drive UJ-815-B
                          $279.00 - ChicagoDigital.com - CD/DVD Drives
                          Panasonic Slot Loading DVD Multi Drive UJ-815-B. Writes DVD-R/-RW/-RAM
                          CD-R/-RW. Comparable to the Panasonic CF-VDM731U and the ...

Comment

:::groans:::

you guys are killin me here!
                            Just when i had resigned myself to ponying up the extra $70 for a slot load DVD drive up front, you give me a link to a slot load DVD/CDRW drive....and hey look, its only $165!

but but but...cd burning....in dash.....I would be using that far more than its good for me.....
                            2000 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

http://mac-pro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...em=APLDVDIM350
                              System:
                              Epia M1000 w/512MB PC2100, Xenarc 700TS, ATI 7500 PCI, OPUS 150 PSU, 2.5 40GB 5400 HDD, 802.11g PCI, Slim Slot DVDR,
                              Gyration RF Kybrd, OBDII adpt. + sftwr, XP pro, iGuidance/Royaltek GPS NAV, XMPCR, Kenwd KAC-8401 4 chnl amp, 10" pwd sub

Comment

Working...
                              X