Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the EPIA M boards maintain +5 volt to usb devices?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the EPIA M boards maintain +5 volt to usb devices?

I'm planning on using an EPIA M series motherboard, and there will be a number of devices attached using USB.

I've read that some, but not all, motherboards maintain power to the usb ports since the power supply maintains a constant +5 voltage to the motherboard for WOL.

I do plan on using WOL, so I don't want to create a disabler circuit for the power supply. But at the same time, I don't want my host of USB devices bleeding away my power.

Does anyone know which of the EPIA M series motherboards will not allow power to USB when turned off?

Originally posted by Choser
    I'm planning on using an EPIA M series motherboard, and there will be a number of devices attached using USB.

I've read that some, but not all, motherboards maintain power to the usb ports since the power supply maintains a constant +5 voltage to the motherboard for WOL.

I do plan on using WOL, so I don't want to create a disabler circuit for the power supply. But at the same time, I don't want my host of USB devices bleeding away my power.

Does anyone know which of the EPIA M series motherboards will not allow power to USB when turned off?
    My EpiaM maintains power to the USB devices when it is turned off. You will need to measure the draw from each of your USB devices to see if this will be a problem for you (the EpiaM mobo draws ~110mA when off without USB devices connected). Most of my USB devices draw very little current (~10mA) however my XMPCR draws ~120mA which is unacceptable. I am going to have to cut the USB cable to the XMPCR and insert a relay that is controlled by ignition so that it doesn't drain my battery when the ignition is off.
    My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

Working...
    X