How long can you run your Carputer???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can you run your Carputer???

I know this may be a stupid question but i was wondering how long can you have your carputer running. Like is it ok to have your carputer on the whole time when you are on a long trip???

As long as the car is running you should never have a problem.
    As for when it's off, that depends on how much battery capacity
    you have, as well as how much power you are pulling.
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

Comment

When I went chasing, I had ALECCS running for over 12 hours at a time, for about 8 days straight. Never had a problem with it.
      The ALEXIS Project
      MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
      Color Coding :
      DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

Originally posted by deadweasel
        When I went chasing, I had ALECCS running for over 12 hours at a time, for about 8 days straight. Never had a problem with it.
        What were you chasing? Did you ever catch it?

Comment

If the car is running you can have your CarPC on till the cows come home, (unless you have poor air flow and it over heats) if the car is off its all depends on the RC of the battery

What is Reserve Capacity?

Reserve Capacity, (RC) is a battery industry rating, defining a battery's ability to power a vehicle with an inoperative alternator or fan belt. The rating is the number of minutes a battery at 80 degrees F can be discharged at 25 amps and maintain a voltage of 10.5 volts for a 12 volt battery. The higher the reserve rating, the longer your vehicle can operate should your alternator or fan belt fail.

Originally posted by imi1232000
          I know this may be a stupid question but i was wondering how long can you have your carputer running. Like is it ok to have your carputer on the whole time when you are on a long trip???

Comment

can run carpc + tft + webcam + 400W amp for over 4 hours with no visible effect on battery's voltage. I would estimate a good 10 hours before you start to get cranking problems... ( and I have a really crap battery )
            James
            www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

Comment

if running the engine there is no limit to amount of time u can run carpc - you may get problems with not enough current to charge the battery if you are running with a lot of accessories powered ( seat heaters/window demisters/headlights etc )

Comment

Originally posted by Jamez_Warner
                can run carpc + tft + webcam + 400W amp for over 4 hours with no visible effect on battery's voltage. I would estimate a good 10 hours before you start to get cranking problems... ( and I have a really crap battery )
                James
                I would estimate a bit less than 10 hours for that amount of load...in cold weather leaving an inteior light on overnight (~1A) can drain a battery so that it won't start.
                My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

depends if its all in use i suppose, with low volumes and little CPU use 10hours may be possible, allthough thats probably over optimistic...

Comment

Originally posted by wi77iam
                    What were you chasing? Did you ever catch it?
                    Heheheh.... STORM chasing, and yes, I did catch a few! Nothing bigger than F3 though.
                    The ALEXIS Project
                    Color Coding :

Comment

Originally posted by deadweasel
                      Heheheh.... STORM chasing, and yes, I did catch a few! Nothing bigger than F3 though.
                      Is that a hobby of yours? What made u get started? Just curious.
                      -Merc
                      1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
                      [:::::::::.]99.9%
                      Working On: Fixing wireless network interference
                      Specs: 8.4inch vga touch, 1.?? ghz, 256 DDR, 4gig OS HD, 120gig Media HD, opus

Comment

I think he was asking the question personnaly to see how long people have ran thier puters for, mine hasn't run from my car battery yet, but I hope it can run as long as I wan't, with the exception of hot hot summer days
                        CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                        Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

I ran mine 24 hours straight...no probs....without the car running about 4-5 hours
                          BossTone74

Comment

well with my p4 2.66ghz system, it runs on a powercel 70ah battery with a 600watt power inverter, for 1 hour and 50 mins it went from 12.54 volts down to 11.99 volts.. and was still pretty good
                            www.caraudioaustralia.com
                            come and check us out !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mercury
                              Is that a hobby of yours? What made u get started? Just curious.
                              I did it one time as a favor to a buddy who went to college in Tenessee. They were working with NOAA (or one of the biggie atmospheric monitoring and study organizations). Basically they needed a "gopher" to volunteer to drive to coordinates across the storm opposite the mobile Doppler trucks to take a few extra readings. All I had to do was drive like a bat out of hell and do it well, then hold a couple of instruments up in the air and in the general direction of the storm. Nothing beats a virtual license to speed, since most cops will be doing their damndest to get out of where you're headed. All the antennae and flashing lights pretty much let them know what's going on as well.

Anyhow, I did it for two weeks. The trip cost me three windshields and a new hood, as well as some bodywork on the roof and rear quarterpanel. Debris is everywhere in the really good storms, but thank God it was nothing like that blasted movie Twister. I would've crapped my lucky drawers to see a frigging harvester falling out of the sky anywhere in my vicinity!
                              Mostly just a LOT of junk whipping around, although I did get to see a big *** tree rolling sedately down a back road one time.

I can't wait to get a better vehicle together so I can do it again sometime! Best rush you could experience, short of skydiving, and I'm fresh out of parachutes.
                              The ALEXIS Project
                              Color Coding :

Comment

Working...
                              X