Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery keeps dying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Battery keeps dying

    I find my car needs a jump more and more often. I've mistakenly drained it the past by leaving the PC on for too long with the engine off. I wonder if this has damaged the battery. Or, maybe the Opus & usb devices are consuming too much power when the car is off. USB hub and devices stay on even after the pc shuts down.

    Any ideas for tracking down the problem and possible solutions?
    -TJ
    Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
    CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
    Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

  • #2
    Use an external USB HUB (not self powered)

    Power this hub with the 5V on the molex. (this one will shut down)

    Otherwise your usb stuff will be always on with the opus....

    Note that the batterie voltage monitoring for opus is too low. When the opus shutdown for a Vin to small you can't start your engine either...

    If you read this kriss a jumper with 2-3 value (11.8V 12V 12.5V) will be fine.
    Epia M9000, lili 7" vga&touch & 2xTM-7002S compo, camera with reversed image, 2.5" 60 GB, 256Mb DDR, Opus 90W, GPS usb... AND MEDIACRUISER of course!

    Comment


    • #3
      regular car battery can only be charged 60-70% of its original capacity once it's been discharged. That's why your battery keeps dying.
      NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
      If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cproaudio
        regular car battery can only be charged 60-70% of its original capacity once it's been discharged.
        Thats why Deep Cycle batteries are perfect for CarPuter use
        My OLD Carputer: http://www.mp3car.com/node/18137
        Currently, Don't have a carputer :( I sold my lincoln and bought a '93 Acura Vigor, plan on putting a carputer in it one of these days. You can see my vigor at: This Site

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by cproaudio
          regular car battery can only be charged 60-70% of its original capacity once it's been discharged. That's why your battery keeps dying.
          I agree....you should measure the 'parasitic' current with the engine/ignition off. If you have access to a multimeter you can put the multimeter (set to read Current) in series with one of your battery cables. Ideally the current draw should be between 20 and 120mA. I have 150mA current draw when I put my computer in standyb and I don't have a problem, however I have a new battery (Diehard Gold). My previous battery died after 2.5 years due to multipe deep discharge (not to mention it came from Auto Zone...Duralast piece of junk). I would only have the carputer on for 20 minutes and the battery would drop to 8.5V, it was nice to see my dc-dc power supply working like a champ but I had to bust out the battery charger to start the car. I've run the carputer for over 3 hours with the new battery and it starts the car just fine.
          My Celica Carputer Install

          Comment


          • #6
            cproaudio:

            Is there any way to verify my battery's capacity?

            PTCruiser & EBJUSTIN
            Just to play it safe, I think I will modify the usb hub to take power from the +5V instead of 5vsb.

            I've started looking into the Optima Yellow Top. But I'd like to find the root cause before investing in a new battery.

            Thanks for the help!
            -TJ
            Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
            CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
            Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

            Comment


            • #7
              any battery shop will test your battery for free with one of these http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=ACC-SB-5 You can try Odyssey drycell battery. It's deep cycle-able. It's about half the size of regular battery so you can get 2 to fit in a regular battery holder for most cars. http://www.odysseybatteries.com/auto.htm PC1200MJT Best part is it will charge back up to over 90% of its original capacity. (from personal experience)
              NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
              If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for all the help.

                I replaced my battery with an Optima Yellow Top about a week ago. Everything seems fine now. I've left the USB hub as is, with the devices always on. I'll have to borrow a multimeter and measure the parasitic current, but I won't worry about it for now. As suggested above, I'm pretty sure it was the multiple discharges that killed the battery.

                Warning to all: If you have a stock battery, try to avoid draining/discharging your battery.
                -TJ
                Smart Playlists Plugin for RoadRunner
                CarPC - 05 Acura TL Navi (pics soon)
                Retired CarPC - 03 Infiniti Qx4

                Comment


                • #9
                  If you take care of the battery and never let it discharge it'll last you a very long time. My 98 Sienna still starts up like a new battery. It's almost 6 years old.
                  NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
                  If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by EBJUSTIN
                    I agree....you should measure the 'parasitic' current with the engine/ignition off. If you have access to a multimeter you can put the multimeter (set to read Current) in series with one of your battery cables. Ideally the current draw should be between 20 and 120mA. I have 150mA current draw when I put my computer in standyb and I don't have a problem, however I have a new battery (Diehard Gold). My previous battery died after 2.5 years due to multipe deep discharge (not to mention it came from Auto Zone...Duralast piece of junk). I would only have the carputer on for 20 minutes and the battery would drop to 8.5V, it was nice to see my dc-dc power supply working like a champ but I had to bust out the battery charger to start the car. I've run the carputer for over 3 hours with the new battery and it starts the car just fine.
                    can you be more specific about how to test parastic current? what do you mean test with the multimerter "in series with one of the batter cables"? does this just mean pos to neg? i have a multimeter, and would like to see how much my 'puter will draw in standby but dont really know how.

                    thanks in advance.
                    Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      To test parasitic current in your car:
                      1) Turn off car
                      2) disconnect the red wire from your car battery's terminal
                      3) connect one lead of your multimeter to the red wire that you took off the battery, and connect the other multimeter lead to the terminal on the battery where you disconnected the red wire
                      4) turn on the stuff that you want to test its current draw (but don't start the car)

                      (red-wire)>>>>(multimeter)>>>>>(battery terminal)
                      So far:
                      M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PTCruiser
                        Use an external USB HUB (not self powered)

                        Power this hub with the 5V on the molex. (this one will shut down)

                        Otherwise your usb stuff will be always on with the opus....

                        Note that the batterie voltage monitoring for opus is too low. When the opus shutdown for a Vin to small you can't start your engine either...

                        If you read this kriss a jumper with 2-3 value (11.8V 12V 12.5V) will be fine.
                        PTCruiser:
                        Are you saying that you can put a jumper on the Opus 90 watt supply to tell it what minimum voltage to turn off at? Sorry, but I don't have mine in front of me, so I can't look. Are there even jumpers on it?

                        Thanks!
                        So far:
                        M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X