Interesting keyboard question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting keyboard question

Hello all, I am in the process of building a comp. Due to the design of laptop keyboards, one would work perfectly for my comp i am building. I know they are usually attached with ribbons, etc...and it certainly would not have a ps/2 connection, lol...but...is it possible to use these, assuming all the connections were converted over to a ps/2 plug? I dont see any reason why it wouldnt, but as u know there are ALOT of differences between desktops and laptops. I guess the only thing that would be a problem is if the laptop keyboard has some type of driver built into the motherboard. anyway, thx in advance for any tips or comments

I tried this once. Apparently, a conversion IS possible, but the wiring schemes are different, thanks in large part to that cot damned ribbon. In the end, it probably isn't worth it, especially since laptop-sized keyboards are already available for PS/2 or USB connections.

Mini keybaords
    The ALEXIS Project
    MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
    Color Coding :
    DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

You might be better off just getting a regular mini keyboard

Blast! You beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by cafn8
        You might be better off just getting a regular mini keyboard

Blast! You beat me to it.
        Studies have shown that caffiene enhances response times. Time to fill that cup yo!
        The ALEXIS Project
        MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
        Color Coding :
        DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

ahh, nice idea..thx for the tip

Comment

Originally posted by deadweasel
            Studies have shown that caffiene enhances response times. Time to fill that cup yo!
            Well, unfortunately it does nothing for search times as I try to find where I saw those keyboards for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by ruflyf
              Hello all, I am in the process of building a comp. Due to the design of laptop keyboards, one would work perfectly for my comp i am building. I know they are usually attached with ribbons, etc...and it certainly would not have a ps/2 connection, lol...but...is it possible to use these, assuming all the connections were converted over to a ps/2 plug? I dont see any reason why it wouldnt, but as u know there are ALOT of differences between desktops and laptops. I guess the only thing that would be a problem is if the laptop keyboard has some type of driver built into the motherboard. anyway, thx in advance for any tips or comments
              Gotta agree with weasel and cafn8. I spent a lot of time working on this myself. Finally I just bought a Zippy EL-610 for about $30. Just rip off the exterior case and you've got a laptop keyboard (that glows, incidently) with a PS2 or USB connector already wired on. You can get the non-glow version for about $5 cheaper.
              So far:
              M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

great, was just about to ask ya about removing the case

Comment

Working...
                X