Can i use any 2.5" HDD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i use any 2.5" HDD?

I'm looking at using a 2.5" HDD (30 or 40gig) because of its better efficiency and more shock resistant. Will any 2.5" drive suit my application and/or will i need to buy an adapter?

Could anyone please suggest one on Ebay that i could use for my PC without hassles. It's just that most advertised say only for laptops.

Thanks
    AUDI A4, 2.6 V6
    Audio: Morel, Audison, Hertz, Stinger, Pioneer
    Carputer: Mirco ATX, 2.4gHz, 256ram, 80gig, 7"touchscreen, Opus

Unfortunately, that's the end! Was good while it lasted, but gotta sell the car.

Yes, virtually any 2.5" IDE/ATA HD is useable on a PC. The IDE/ATA interface on laptops and PCs are the same. The only difference is in the connector - the 2.5" HDs use smaller pitch connectors and a slightly different pinout. You need a 3.5" to 2.5" adaptor which is readily available.

I've used Seagate & IBM (now Hitachi) 2.5" HDs on PCs without problems. But bear in mind that most 2.5" HDs have lower transfer rate and seek times so performance-wise, they do lose out compared to their 3.5" cousins, plus there's a price premium.

Comment

Great, thanks for that! I'm not too worried about the slower transfer rate as i won't be using any massive programs. I'm just trying to cut down on the power consumption. It seems a 2.5" uses HEAPSSSS less power than 3.5".
      AUDI A4, 2.6 V6
      Audio: Morel, Audison, Hertz, Stinger, Pioneer
      Carputer: Mirco ATX, 2.4gHz, 256ram, 80gig, 7"touchscreen, Opus

Unfortunately, that's the end! Was good while it lasted, but gotta sell the car.

Comment

Also, the power connector is different. all the converter kits i've seen include the IDE connector with the power lines built on, and mounting bracket adapters as well.....but make sure the converter you buy does just in case. The 2.5" drives use 5 volt for main power, the 3.5 use 12 volt. I use a 3.5" on my carpc but it isn't strictly neccessary I like all the space.

Originally posted by Tha Hombre
        Great, thanks for that! I'm not too worried about the slower transfer rate as i won't be using any massive programs. I'm just trying to cut down on the power consumption. It seems a 2.5" uses HEAPSSSS less power than 3.5".
        Stop Buying New Music CD's.
        Hit The RIAA where it lives.

Indash Motorized 7", Epia Nehimiah, 512 MB, 80 GB, DVD, Wireless G, XP Pro, XM PCR, Kenwwod 5 Channel 1200 Watt Amp.

Comment

Working...
        X