Buying a LCD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a LCD

Well im going to buy an LCD and from what i have read on the forurm i know that i want to get VGA one.. I want a 5-6" one.. What would be the one i should get? I need one that already has a case im not too good with making cases..

Let me know
    Thanks guys!

Are you looking for VGA or TV signal... you can get the vga ones for cheaper it seems, but you'd need a special card or converter.

The NTSC TV signal ones are going for about $200 on eBay

------------------
    http://mp3box.2y.net
    www.arbybean.com

Comment

Well i dono, i want the clearest picture and i guess i thought that VGA would be the best..

Comment

Well, unfortunately www.aeicomp.com does not sell its 5" VGA screen anymore (true 80x600res!) but the next best thing is to go to www.mars-cam.com and get price gouged for a 5" VGA monitor that not that hot. Or you can get price gouged another way by going to www.aeicomp.com and get their 6.8" VGA monitor! Yeah! ;-)

good luck man.
        Free entrance to heaven? WOW! I DUN BELIEVE! JC!

Comment

VGA is DEFINITELY better. Arby got that backwards though, the VGA are generally more expensive, because they have higher resolution than composite type LCDs. You only need a computer with standard VGA for a VGA LCD, you'll need a special card with composite video out (TV) for the cheaper LCDs. I suggest VGA if you want a quality screen. Not to mention it'll be easier to add touch screen to a VGA LCD if you so desire.
          I used VGA in my installation, you can see it here: http://24.7.157.64/home.html

Comment

Hi,

My company sells LCD screens for mobile applications. Check out www.gnetcanada.com

Shawn

Comment

WOW! They are expensive.. is www.aeicomp.com the cheepest for getting a Lcd that has
              Input Signal
              VGA
              Resolution
              800X600

They watned like 850 for a 6.4inch..

I wouldnt mind a Five inch even.. IS there anywhere else cheeper? or should i expect to pay 800 bucks?!

Comment

if you have lots of money to waste gguy is a good place to throw it away.

Comment

Well, the reason I said that is that 12" laptop screens have been going on eBay for less than $50, while all the 5-6" monitors are closing at over $200.

Anyone know where to get a good price on a 6-8.4" vga lcd? I just need the screen, I already have a controller.
                  www.arbybean.com

Comment

Hmm, ebay has a big batch (40) 8.4" sharp VGA lcd's going for $39. Too bad the frame around it adds another 3" so it won't fit in my dash

Get em while you can!
                    www.arbybean.com

Comment

Arby,
                      Can you give me the link to the Ebay Auction for the 8.4 Sharp LCD's? That sounds like just the size I want!
                      1983 BMW 733i
                      Cyrix 166 32MB with MPXPLAY And no display. Player sits on the back seat with a keypad in front. Someday I'll mount this thing for good...
                      Gathering parts for carplayer v2.0!

Comment

OK I found the site.
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=561118564

It doesn't look 3 inches thick to me and it is VGA but you would have to buy the $200 controller for it. But that's a much better price than the $800 everyone else wants!
                        1983 BMW 733i
                        Cyrix 166 32MB with MPXPLAY And no display. Player sits on the back seat with a keypad in front. Someday I'll mount this thing for good...

Comment

My computer has a built in lcd controller that will work with screens from 640x480 to 1600x1200

I just need a screen that will fit in my tiny dash
                          www.arbybean.com

Comment

HI Falcon62Travis I got 2 of these 8.4" TFTs
                            and i am having a bare of a time finding a controller card. If you know of one that will for sure drive this screen. Let Know...
                            Thanx

check this out i am not sure if it would work but it looks close.
                            http://www.view-tek.com/prodpage/70xpg2.htm

------------------
                            Thatcher Michelsen
                            www.infinatek.com
                            :: Be The Best -
                            Quality Products Rule ::
                            Thatcher Michelsen
                            www.infinatek.com
                            :: Be The Best -
                            Quality Products Rule ::

Comment

Infinatek,
                              Thanks for the info.
                              I will deffinitely do some searching to see if I can find a controller for that LCD before I bid on it. I did notice that the controler at view-tek.com only went up to 640-480 but this LCD is 800-600 capable. I'll let you know what I do find.
                              Also do you know if this LCD is backlit? I cant tell.....

Arby you lucked out with that motherboard. The same guy is also selling some 6 & 9 inch LCD's Maybe they will work....
                              1983 BMW 733i

Comment

Working...
                              X