Western Digital (WD1200JB) dying....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Digital (WD1200JB) dying....

Hi! My Western Digital (used in my carputer) is starting to die on me.. I'm in the process of backing up everything on it to DVD-R.. The drive is also still within warranty-period, so it's cool... But when i deliver it to service, I guess it wouldn't be any problem trading to another manufactor.. Would this be better? Seagate, maxtor..?

You probably just got a faulty drive. I have had WD drives and never had any problem with them. Had one Maxtor die on me tho.
    Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
    Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

Just RMA it.
      I'm RMAing a WD and a Laptop IBM now.

I've had all types of drives fail on me. By far Maxtor has the record for me - 3 RMA'd drives. I was wondering why they had the no quibble policy. They must get alot of broken drive RMA's.

On a side note, my IBM 40 GB laptop drive died and I'm installing XP over on a 10GB spare I had. When it gets back, gonna image the install to the 40GB. The laptop drives get noisier and noisier and then break.
      SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
      GPSing - Digital Speedo
      Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
      Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

Yeah, I guess it's gonna die completely.. Very soon! RMA'ing tomorrow, will get a new drive.. In someother post a guy suggested using seagates, so I'll switch to that! IMHO, IBM disks sucks.. THEY must get alot of RMA's..

Comment

I had some problems w/ my WD drive and the cold (-5 F) and found that some drives have the fluid dynamic bearings (used ) But I have tried both Seagate and Maxtor's in the CarPC and they aren't near as good as the WD was.
          New CarPC on the way again I think. I miss my old one!!!

Comment

Rma = ?

Comment

Return Merchandise Authorization

Comment

As a computer component sales monkey, I can tell you that WD drives, ESPECIALLY the Special Edition JB (8mb cache) models are very reliable units. There's a reason that WD offers a full three year warranty on those drives, after all!

That aside, I have seen a few problems with their 80gb BB models (2mb cache), not the least of which was my own recent crash. There seems to be a problem with the onboard controller failing in a build run from June 2003 - December 2003, but WD is very accomodating with replacements. In fact, I just received my advance replacement unit from them the day before yesterday. Send them the old bugger in the box they send you, and done!
                The ALEXIS Project
                MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
                Color Coding :
                DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

carpc isnt up yet, so this is just a desktop oppinion, but i've used lots of different drives over the years, and WD has been leaps and bounds ahead of the rest in reliability for me, at this point thats all I'll buy anymore.
                  2000 Jeep Cherokee
                  -CarPC: [_____]50% complete
                  -planning done, still need a few parts
                  -In-dash motorized VGA is finally out, need $$$
                  -Need to replace factory HU

Comment

So I should not trade it in for a seagate?

Comment

Originally posted by burnout.no
                      So I should not trade it in for a seagate?
                      No!!! WD is a great brand, I stand by them no matter what!!! Just RMA it and get on w/ life... it was probably just that 1 in 100000 defective drive!!

Comment

Yes, it certainly is a great brand! This the first of my five WD disks that screws up.. RMA'ing tomorrow.. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X