Does cold affect boot time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does cold affect boot time?

I just got my Carputer installed a couple days ago and I'm finding alot of stuff out (good and bad). This morning was the first realy cold morning since I've had my CarPC and my car sits outside... So start up my car and the computer sits at the BIOS screen forever. Then when it booted up MediaEngine actually froze and everything just seemed to be going slower than usual. My computer is a 2.2Ghz P4 with 512 DDR so this should definitely not be happening but is it an affect to the cold or do I have some other problem?

-It was about 15F

no, in fact the colder the better. Unless you got condensation in there, than you're screwed. heh.
    ----------------------
    VIA Epia II
    256MB 266DDR Ram
    90GB Wester Digital
    Bluetooth/Deluo GPS
    Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
    ----------------------
    Mazda 6 Carputter > Click Me!

Comment

First, the answer above is BS, FYI.

As has been discussed, ad nauseum, hard drives have an operating temperature range. Too cold, they won't boot. Too hot, they won't boot. Also, as has been discussed, condensation is a non-issue.

I have found when the temperature range is between 10 and 20 F, the computer will boot sometimes, but it may hang or "freeze" shortly thereafter. Other times it hangs in the POST because the drives aren't spinning and aren't recognized by the BIOS.

Below 10F the ITPS Power Sequencer will not let power flow to the computer.
      Aku, Soku, Zan.
      Epia M10000 Nehemiah
      Lilliput
      ITPS Power Sequencer

Comment

condensation a non-issue? I thought it was a known fact that condensation and computers don't mix.
        Aura MR62 (F and R)
        My Current MP3s
        IamDefiler.com

Comment

See this thread re: condensation

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20731
          Aku, Soku, Zan.
          Epia M10000 Nehemiah
          Lilliput
          ITPS Power Sequencer

Comment

Originally posted by saito
            Saito's got it down alright, although I would argue that some of the older drives (without fluid bearings) are able to work outside their stated range by a small margin. Don't depend on that to be the case with yours though. It's better to play it safe and make sure the system doesn't get too hot or cold, as it can (and often does) affect the system's ability to boot properly. There are many threads regarding this issue here in the forums. Well, okay, one big one that I know of: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19806

BTW, Saito: would your nick/avatar be from Rouroni Kenshin by any chance?
            The ALEXIS Project
            MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
            Color Coding :
            DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

Below 10F the ITPS Power Sequencer will not let power flow to the computer.
              I've never had this problem, with temperatures even colder than that. I have the regulator on my ITPS bypassed, but I doubt that would make a difference.

Never a problem with my Western Digital harddrive either.

Comment

Originally posted by none
                I've never had this problem, with temperatures even colder than that. I have the regulator on my ITPS bypassed, but I doubt that would make a difference.

Never a problem with my Western Digital harddrive either.
                *whispers to member sitting nearby*

psst.. he used the "n" word man! He's screwed now!
                The ALEXIS Project
                Color Coding :

Comment

DW -

Hajime Saito, Shinsengumi member. Coolest character in RK. As the sig says: Aku, Soku, Zan.
                  Aku, Soku, Zan.
                  Epia M10000 Nehemiah
                  Lilliput
                  ITPS Power Sequencer

Comment

lol, not superstitious either.

Comment

Any secrets on keeping your computer warm like raping the case in insulation?

Comment

Originally posted by XxAndyxX
                        raping the case
                        sorry....couldnt resist that one

other than a small heater plugged into the car ALL NIGHT, by morning, all the insulation in the world wouldnt keep that drive from being any warmer tahn the rest of the car.

condensation isnt the issue you get, simple warping of the metal is. if you have the drive undergoing major temp. shifts, the metal is rapidly expanding and contracting, increasing the liklyhood of failure.
                        2000 Jeep Cherokee
                        -CarPC: [_____]50% complete
                        -planning done, still need a few parts
                        -In-dash motorized VGA is finally out, need $$$
                        -Need to replace factory HU

Comment

Deffinately look into getting one of those small 12v ceramic heaters that either defrost your window or warm up the inside of your car. Thats what I plan to use, you could rig it to somehow run off the line you plug your block heater too or just have it run when you start your car in the morning. Also, I wouldn't run one of those heaters for very long, especially all night, they could start on fire being as cheap as they are.

Comment

??? LET THE DAMN CAR HEAT UP!!! If you use a heater on your case what will happen when you forget to turn it off???

HEATER IS BAD IDEA!! If its that cold out... you should be letting your car heat up anyways that should help heat your entire car up including your CarPC!!!
                            New CarPC on the way again I think. I miss my old one!!!

Comment

DW -

Hajime Saito, Shinsengumi member. Coolest character in RK. As the sig says: Aku, Soku, Zan.
                              Yes, definitely the coolest, although I still think Kenshin kicks the most ***. His fits of rage are something to fear. I watched the whole series waiting for him to freak out again.

/end unintentional threadjack (sorry y'all)

Also, heating the case isn't the way to go. Metal warpage isn't an issue any longer, thanks to the fact that current day hard drive platters are made with ceramic materials. The only metallic component of the platters is the writable media itself, and that's only a few microns thick, and therefore unable to warp.
                              If it's dadblasted cold out, you're better off letting the interior warm up before starting the system, unless it's a trunk mount, in which case nothing will help other than running a switchable heating duct through the case itself.

Condensation isn't an issue unless there's moisture in the air to begin with, and in a well-sealed cabin or trunk, that won't be a factor.
                              The ALEXIS Project
                              Color Coding :

Comment

Working...
                              X