Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD Changer Inferface/Protocols

Hello all,

I know that everyone out there is looking for a method to attack MP3 players to the CD changers on their car stereos and get the text info into the head unit, etc. I've been very curious and have e-mailed JVC and pioneer and other various sources about protocol information. So far, no responses. I'm wondering if anyone else has fooled around yet? I have a JVC head unit (KDSX1000R) and a 12 disc changer (MK88) that i'm going to fool around with and take the oscilloscope to. I figure that maybe I can get soem data on these things. I would really like to figure out the pioneer units though, becuase I plan to upgrade soon (even though my 1000R does have AUX ins)

I too have had that idea Slicer. I would imagine though that you would need some sort of ASCII generator in order to make the control interface send the proper commands to an MP3 decoder program (whether Winamp or something else). As I posted in another thread, Autosound and Security or Car Audio and Electronics Magazine published a breakout of the control wiring between head units and CD Changers, but I don't remember which one and which issue. I'm pretty sure I have it, but I haven't had time to go look yet. I will ASAP. But again, if anyone has some insights on such a project, plese don't be shy about posting your results! (I have a Pioneer unit myself, am waiting on the AUX adapter).
    KG6OQD
    www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

I have also been pondering this concept. I searched all over the pioneer USA site, but found no specifications. I fired off an email to the European site (the US one didn't have contact info), but havent heard back. It would be great to have winamp interface with the headunit.

Comment

i too have a jvc deck. im very interested in anything that you found out.
        System: AMD Duron 1200+ , 512 MB ram , usb sb mp3+ , Tview 7" touchscreen , M1-ATX PSU , Slot Load iMac DVD-Rom , 40 GB laptop HDD, netgear USB 802.11g

Progress: Installation: 90% Dash fabrication: 80%

Parts Needed: USB GPS

Comment

Re: CD Changer Inferface/Protocols

Originally posted by Slicer
          Hello all,

I know that everyone out there is looking for a method to attack MP3 players to the CD changers on their car stereos and get the text info into the head unit, etc. I've been very curious and have e-mailed JVC and pioneer and other various sources about protocol information. So far, no responses. I'm wondering if anyone else has fooled around yet? I have a JVC head unit (KDSX1000R) and a 12 disc changer (MK88) that i'm going to fool around with and take the oscilloscope to. I figure that maybe I can get soem data on these things. I would really like to figure out the pioneer units though, becuase I plan to upgrade soon (even though my 1000R does have AUX ins)
          Of course you're not going to get a response. Reps and tech supports dont know squat about that schit. Most of them dont even know exactly how their own products work. I went to CES every year. Every year SONY, Alpine, Kenwood, Clarion, all the big name brands come up with cool new ideas and products. But they dont know how it works. Give you an idea, when SONY came out with the DVD changer, I asked the rep if the changer can be added to existing SONY HU via unilink control. He doesnt know. His excuse was "it's a brand new product that we just received a week ago from SONY" I asked another rep. He said no. then another rep came over and say yes. 3 years ago, Alpine came out with the first prototype indash DVD player. I ask the rep about it. He didnt know squat about it. You are talking to the wrong peopl. You need to talk to the engineers who came up with this stuff. Even if you manage to find an engineer, he wont tell you because his knowledge is own by the company he works for. All the stuff he came up with belong to company. Give you an example, I work for a well known stereo chain in the west coast as an installer. Everything I do that is related to car installation has to be on the company sales invoice. If I install a stereo for my brother, it has to be paid for (at a discount price of course) I can't even work on my own damn car. If I did anything on the side, as soon as the company finds out, I'm fired. Anyway, talk to Colonel Sanders if you want the secret recipe. Don't talk to the cook or the counter person cuz they don't know squat
          NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
          If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

you might find this page useful... theres also a yahoo group dedicated to pioneer ip-bus hacking, i think theres been a few good files posted there.

I`m also running a pioneer headunit, so i would be interested in any findings.

Good luck!
            My Setup

Comment

I am in a similar situation. HOwever, rather then running a PC in my trunk, I would like to have my Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 player interface with my head unit (display data, control by the head unit and steering wheel controls). Just to add a kicker to the situation, the head unit is an OEM for a Volvo (actually, the new SUV) that has a CD Changer control. I know the car "runs" on a Windows CE for Auto OS, so I am hoping that all it will require is a simple driver and the hardware connection (the Jukebox3 has a usb line, as well as a line that is set for a dedicated wired remote control - however, that is not out yet). If anybody has any ideas, or knows anyone who might, could you give me a heads up? Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
              X