PC104 - need some guidance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC104 - need some guidance

Hey guys, long time lurker finally registered and posting!!

Before I jump into the question, yes I have searched and the varied responses about pc104 leads me to believe that no one is running one. So that being said, someone prove me wrong and tell me how you did it.

I just acquired 5 pc104's and would love to build a carputer/mp3 player. I'd like to stick with Xp and run MediaEngine with a touch screen. I have a 10" touch screen on the way. By the end of next week I'll be ready to build my first system using the PC104. I'd like to keep the total footprint as compact as possible as this will eventually be going into a Porsche that I am restoring. For now it will go into my Ford Explorer.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly apprecaited.

Thanks!
    Mike
    Aren't they recommended speed limits?!
    Stuff:
    '86 951 - Track Rat SOLD
    '73 914/6 3.0 Converted Track Killer
    '00 Boxster
    '07 Jeep Liberty - Parts Getter
    **Speed doesn't kill, it's those damn sudden stops that get you!**

lol, scuse the ignorance, but whats a pc104?
    2000 Jeep Cherokee
    -CarPC: [_____]50% complete
    -planning done, still need a few parts
    -In-dash motorized VGA is finally out, need $$$
    -Need to replace factory HU

Comment

From what i understand PC104 is actually the name of an interface.

No madmike, you're not the only one with PC104 stuff. My car computer currently uses a mini ITX system, but I also have four PC104 P233 boards.

What specifically are you looking to do mike?
      car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

Originally posted by madmike269
        Before I jump into the question, yes I have searched and the varied responses about pc104 leads me to believe that no one is running one. So that being said, someone prove me wrong and tell me how you did it.
        My EM-586 has a PC-104 interface. PC-104 is the name of an interface, not a board. So you could say I am running one. Nothing hard about it. Build or buy a power supply, hook it up, add a hard drive, add screen and input methods, install software, away you go.

Originally posted by madmike269
        I'd like to keep the total footprint as compact as possible
        Cool, someone else who cares about size. Nothing tricky about it, it's just a computer.

Rob
        Old Systems retired due to new car
        New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Your absolutley right pc104 is mainly an interface type of stackable controllers. I should have been a little clearer, I just received 5 pc104 cpu controllers. The only thing they lack to be complete units is sound and power. Power I can get covered quickly and sound I can either drop in the dpa3 audio chip (not very dynamic) or add a pc104 sound controller. Like I said the smaller the better. Once completed I woud like a factory looking install not something that looks like Franken-Puter Robiewp, what are you using the pc104's for?

Thanks again!
          Mike
          Aren't they recommended speed limits?!
          Stuff:
          '86 951 - Track Rat SOLD
          '73 914/6 3.0 Converted Track Killer
          '00 Boxster
          '07 Jeep Liberty - Parts Getter
          **Speed doesn't kill, it's those damn sudden stops that get you!**

Comment

back in the day I used them for half-life servers. Put 'em on a bookshelf anywhere there's power and highspeed internet, and whalla, server.

Since then I'm using one for a webserver, another for a print server, and sitting on the other two.

More specifically the boards I have are compact secure systems made by "modular systems, inc"- the company Ken Olsen (from DEC) started after leaving DEC. His ideas with this company were ahead of their time again- they were built 7 years ago, and nobody cared. An aquantance bought out his stock of 195 units.

Regarding sound, I couldn't tell you who (off the top of my head), but there's a company out there that sells a PC104 soundblaster board for $60. I spent a lot of time looking at this stuff, and that was by far the cheapest price I found. I don't think things have changed much either, in the last 8 months on that front. PC104 stuff always is, and always has been expensive.

Comment

let me add to that that if space is your concern, and your boards don't have sound on them now, you probably should just get a new board with sound on it. The cost difference will be marginal, the system will be smaller and simpler.

you should check out these guys, and maybe this board:
              http://www.dsl-ltd.co.uk/products/prox1230spec.htm

They were the company I was looking at sound boards from.

can't beat a 3.5" * 3.5" footprint!

Comment

Working...
              X