Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extigy Users

For those using an Extigy...

are you using 4.1 or 5.1 sound out of the unit into your amps? do you experience similar problems to the via onboard audio where the rear speakers are softer than the front?

i'm debating if I need to get an EQ or not. I was originally planning to just do 2 channel audio from the extigy, then let the EQ split it up. I'm wondering if I really need to do that.
    My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Shakes,

If its for Winamp use there are a couple of plugins that will give you multichannel sound with adjustable levels. The M-audio sonica theater gives you system-wide multichannel sound with adjustable levels.

HTH

Comment

i'll be using mediacar ... i'm going to play with teh extigy a ltitle bit more and see how it works with 4.1 channel sound

i've hard a lot of people talk about the m-audio ... but i got a good deal on this extigy.
      My JeepPC Install

Comment

Originally posted by shakes
        i'll be using mediacar ... i'm going to play with teh extigy a ltitle bit more and see how it works with 4.1 channel sound

i've hard a lot of people talk about the m-audio ... but i got a good deal on this extigy.

Shakes -

I am looking into the extigy too....but it needs an external power source, right?

how did you power it? are you not able to get sound through the three mini-jacks it provides?

what is the status?

Thanks
        Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

for power i'm going to use this 12v regulator i built for powering my pc before i got an itps.

as for the three mini-jacks ... usually with multi-channel sound cards you run into an issue where the card actually wants to simulate true 5.1 sound. So the read speakers may not be at the same level as the front. plus i have no center channel speaker so i don't want to loose any audio.

plus it's easier to fade from front to back with a knob on an eq than with the pc.

so i bought the clarion eq ... eqs-744 i think ... haven't hooked it up yet so we'll see. I'm just going to run my extigy in 2ch mode and use te EQ to split the signal up.
          My JeepPC Install

Comment

for power i'm going to use this 12v regulator i built for powering my pc before i got an itps.

as for the three mini-jacks ... usually with multi-channel sound cards you run into an issue where the card actually wants to simulate true 5.1 sound. So the read speakers may not be at the same level as the front. plus i have no center channel speaker so i don't want to loose any audio.

plus it's easier to fade from front to back with a knob on an eq than with the pc.

so i bought the clarion eq ... eqs-744 i think ... haven't hooked it up yet so we'll see. I'm just going to run my extigy in 2ch mode and use te EQ to split the signal up.
            Im sorta dealing with the same issues - i bought a no-name eq to split up the sound but i get CRAZY engine noise on it and i dont want to deal with that since from the sound card directly to the amp i get none. I bought the creative MP3+ and am really pleased with it but it only provides 2 ch sound, so i would need an EQ to split it. I was interested in the extigy because i may be mounting the soundcard in the glove compartment and the idea of being able to fade/volume control through a remote control is appealing. I have a radio shack universal laptop dc-dc converter hard wired in the car, it has settings from 12 to 19 V output. will this power the extigy? (it puts out 12V +/- 5% like the casetronics case i was using took). I dont mind the rears being a bit underpowed, since they are gonna be for fill mostly anywa - and if i can fade F/R i can change the setup right? As long as i have a sub out i should be okay.

Another option i am considering is the Philips Aurilium card because it is Bus-Powered, so that would be less of a hassle.

any input?

Thanks

Comment

well if you are good from the soundcard to the amp you could just use RCA Y-splitters to feed the same signal to the Front and Rear. Then if you need a sub just use a crossover (either in the amp or separate) ... what amp do you have? a lot of newer amps have a setting to take 1 set of RCAs and share it across all outputs. that may be an option (then you wouldn't need Y Splitters).

The dc-dc converter should be able to power the extigy fine as long as it can put out enough power. The extigy needs somewhere around 2.5a i think ... so if that deal can put out at least that you're good.

the extigy is kinda big ... so you may want to go to circuit city and look at one to make sure it will fit in your glove box
              My JeepPC Install

Comment

well if you are good from the soundcard to the amp you could just use RCA Y-splitters to feed the same signal to the Front and Rear. Then if you need a sub just use a crossover (either in the amp or separate) ... what amp do you have? a lot of newer amps have a setting to take 1 set of RCAs and share it across all outputs. that may be an option (then you wouldn't need Y Splitters).

The dc-dc converter should be able to power the extigy fine as long as it can put out enough power. The extigy needs somewhere around 2.5a i think ... so if that deal can put out at least that you're good.

the extigy is kinda big ... so you may want to go to circuit city and look at one to make sure it will fit in your glove box

I'm about to head out to best buy to see if they have them and how big they are. I have a new A4 and it has a din-sized cavity built into the GB for the CD changer that comes on some cars, so i think it oughta fit - the glovebox is pretty big anyway.

I am going to be feeding the front and rear signal into the stock BOSE amp and the sub line will be running to my cadence AH+7C amp powering a 12 inch JL sub. I'm 99% sure the sub amp has a crossover bulit in, it certainly has LPF and phase control.

I dont want to feed the front to both front and rear because then i would lose the ablility to fade Im sure the converter can handle 2.5 amps because it could handle my WHOLE computer in the casetronics case Thanks for the input, i will keep you "posted"....hehe...sorry, couldnt resist.

Comment

Shakes -

(or anyone using the extigy....)

how big are we talking about here (can i get a guesstimate or a measurement please?)

Best buy and frys both didnt have it, so ima get it online, but i cant see it before i get it.

Thanks alot!

Comment

maybe 7.5" wide x 8" deep. 8x8 at the most.

around here best buy didn't have it but circuit city did. compusa might too.

i got mine used off ebay (did i already say that here?)
                    My JeepPC Install

Comment

maybe 7.5" wide x 8" deep. 8x8 at the most.

around here best buy didn't have it but circuit city did. compusa might too.

i got mine used off ebay (did i already say that here?)

well i didnt anticipate "8 inches deep".....thats a bit too deep to fit where i was hoping. So i sacked up and bought a M-Audio Sonica Theater card. its in the mail. Bus powered, up to 7.1, and the software is supposed to be good too (though i will probably control the fading through winamp 5 channel plugin or something of the sort).

Anyway, thanks for all the help, i will post once i get my setup going and letcha know how the sonica came out!

Comment

I have been using the Sonica for a while now and I really like it. I use the 5-channel Winamp plugin (Dee3) but prefer to control channel levels with the Sonica theater software.

Comment

Originally posted by Alric
                          I have been using the Sonica for a while now and I really like it. I use the 5-channel Winamp plugin (Dee3) but prefer to control channel levels with the Sonica theater software.

What kinda mobo are you running? how much power does the theater use? most importantly, is it easy to fade front and back/control the sub volume?

Thanks!

BTW: your earlier posts about the m-audio card were inspiration to me since i had never heard of it so the fact that it worked for you made me take the dive and buy it Thanks!

Comment

I use an Epia M-1000 but I haven't looked into CPU utilization. I can tell you that using circle surrounds dogs down the system significantly.

Adjusting levels is a cinch. You can even control the number of speakers in your system and what the crossover point should be.

Comment

Hey is anyone with an extigy powering it unregulated? I've got mine hooked up through a 12v regulator i wired up using a LM1084-IT12 ... so it won't work unless the engine is running

Anyone know if it will handle 14v if I wire it up unregulated?

THought some of you may get a kick out of this ... i e-mailed creative support about this asking if it would be ok with 14v ... and their reply to me was "I'm sorry, but the extigy cannot be used in a car. It is for use with your home pc." ... ha ... i got a good laugh out of that one.
                              My JeepPC Install

Comment

Working...
                              X