best RAM for in-car use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best RAM for in-car use?

i dont wanna buy some cheap RAM that has to live through extreme hot/cold and then just die on me...

anyone suggest a really good brand?? Or maybe just lemme know from experience what you guys have tried and worked.

how about heatsinks and stuff... i know those come built-on now.

thanks!
    [ 5-spd 1996 M A X i M A SE ]

Originally posted by nadir_s
    i dont wanna buy some cheap RAM that has to live through extreme hot/cold and then just die on me...

anyone suggest a really good brand?? Or maybe just lemme know from experience what you guys have tried and worked.

how about heatsinks and stuff... i know those come built-on now.

thanks!
    I always used the cheapest....and never had a problem...and NO heatsinks either....
    BossTone74

Comment

Bah! Don't let some of the gaming kiddies out there convince you that you need to have Mushkin or Crucial memory installed or you will go to hell in eternal damnation. I have plenty of those dorks coming into our store, insisting that anything other than the memory you pay out the nose for is complete crap. They're full of it! For our purposes, the OEM stuff is MORE than adequate, although I would suggest that you get the fastest RAM your motherboard will accept, since it will help your performance.

That is unless, of course, you are riding the fine line of maxing out your power requirements, in which case you want to get the speed that matches your processor's front side bus. For example, an Athlon 2000 runs a 266mhz FSB, so use PC2100 to match. A 2500 runs 333mhz, so use PC2700. If you use RAM that is slower than your FSB, you will lose a bit of performance while the system compensates for the out-of-synch bus speeds. Not much is lost, mind you, but who wants to lose performance?
      The ALEXIS Project
      MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
      Color Coding :
      DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

thanks for the response! i was just wondering because I've build a couple computers in the past and man i had problems after problems... and now b uilding this car-pc, i can only imagine more problems! I just wanted to get some decent RAM that wouldnt **** out on me due to the temprature extremes that it could endure during the summer or winter.
        [ 5-spd 1996 M A X i M A SE ]

Comment

Originally posted by nadir_s
          thanks for the response! i was just wondering because I've build a couple computers in the past and man i had problems after problems... and now b uilding this car-pc, i can only imagine more problems! I just wanted to get some decent RAM that wouldnt **** out on me due to the temprature extremes that it could endure during the summer or winter.
          RAM isn't really all that tempermental. Most RAM issues are due to problems with the motherboard or its chipset, although once in a while, a memory stick can go bad for no apparent reason. A lot depends on the mobo you want to use. If you intend to use one of the Epias mentioned in these forums, I don't see anything about memory issues with those. If you are planning a full or micro-ATX form factor, I would suggest anything current from Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, or DFI. ECS, Chaintech and ABIT have too many issues to want to use in a carPC at the current time.

Stay cool!
          The ALEXIS Project
          Color Coding :

Comment

The only time I pay out the nose for memory is if I am overclocking. I can get a much higher fsb with some good corsair etc.

But i am not overclocking the epia so no worry

Sometimes i just buy the Kingston valueram, its what is in my epia.

Comment

I usually just buy Crucial because after you include shipping most of the cheap stuff isn't that much cheaper.

Comment

i bought some cheap *** ram and a couple contacts just fell off!!! i'm trying to get some conductive paint to get the contact fixed, but the better build quality is worth paying a little more

Comment

Originally posted by Hcomplyr
                  i bought some cheap *** ram and a couple contacts just fell off!!! i'm trying to get some conductive paint to get the contact fixed, but the better build quality is worth paying a little more
                  Cot damn, that IS cheap! Not to front you or anything, but that's just funny!
                  The ALEXIS Project
                  Color Coding :

Comment

Originally posted by deadweasel
                    Bah! Don't let some of the gaming kiddies out there convince you that you need to have Mushkin or Crucial memory installed or you will go to hell in eternal damnation. I have plenty of those dorks coming into our store, insisting that anything other than the memory you pay out the nose for is complete crap. They're full of it! For our purposes, the OEM stuff is MORE than adequate, although I would suggest that you get the fastest RAM your motherboard will accept, since it will help your performance.

That is unless, of course, you are riding the fine line of maxing out your power requirements, in which case you want to get the speed that matches your processor's front side bus. For example, an Athlon 2000 runs a 266mhz FSB, so use PC2100 to match. A 2500 runs 333mhz, so use PC2700. If you use RAM that is slower than your FSB, you will lose a bit of performance while the system compensates for the out-of-synch bus speeds. Not much is lost, mind you, but who wants to lose performance?
                    depending on the purpose I think the good ram(like you said mushkin/crucial and what not) is well worth the money, I don't mind paying for the good stuff for my systems. for my car computer I have some cheap mushkin(read slow timings, not any more expensive than most ram) and it works great, but it all depends on what you are using the system for. my home system is a p4 3.0c overclocked to 3.8, 512meg corsair pc4000, radeon 9600 pro and some other goodies. I think its worth it to pay a little extra to get the better memory timings.

Comment

Working...
                    X