Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EQ sound question + volume

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • EQ sound question + volume

    Hi,

    Im just about to install my first car pc project in my car - and im after the best sound possible.

    Ive read many posts on sound on here, and the first thing that got me worried was that the 'internal' volume of the carpc sound be set to max, and be externally controlled. The reason for this i was told was that if you control the volume internally of the pc, it will not be outputting its full range of sound to the periphery.

    Now ive been having to think of how to control the sound without a head unit?? I thought great! i will get an external sound card like the audigy nx that had a master volume on it. Then, i read on there that this little baby eats cpu performance for breakfast! So thats gone out of the window.

    Now, the last thing i thought of was to buy an eq like this one http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/prod...roducts_id=605 and control the signal that way. But this thing doesn't have volume control! and it still leaves me with the problem of having an actual physical head unit.

    Does anyone then know of an alternative, or tel lme how you control your unit?

    Regards,

    john

  • #2
    Originally posted by dank_Army
    Hi,

    Im just about to install my first car pc project in my car - and im after the best sound possible.

    Ive read many posts on sound on here, and the first thing that got me worried was that the 'internal' volume of the carpc sound be set to max, and be externally controlled. The reason for this i was told was that if you control the volume internally of the pc, it will not be outputting its full range of sound to the periphery.

    Now ive been having to think of how to control the sound without a head unit?? I thought great! i will get an external sound card like the audigy nx that had a master volume on it. Then, i read on there that this little baby eats cpu performance for breakfast! So thats gone out of the window.

    Now, the last thing i thought of was to buy an eq like this one http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/prod...roducts_id=605 and control the signal that way. But this thing doesn't have volume control! and it still leaves me with the problem of having an actual physical head unit.

    Does anyone then know of an alternative, or tel lme how you control your unit?

    Regards,

    john

    john
    many people here use the griffin powermate. It is a USB external volume control, though it can be programed for other functions as well. I just did a quick froogle search and found this one for $40: http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/a...2/?cpg=froogle

    as for the EQ, you could get a 1/2 din sized passive EQ if you jsut wanted to split your signal (F,R, Sub) or use the EQ for sound tweaking, but most eq's only allow you 12Db sound control, which def isnt enough to use for volume.

    good luck
    Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

    Comment


    • #3
      I'd buy a stereo logarithmic pot for a dollar or two and put the sound signal thru it. Voila! Instant volume control.

      EDIT: As for EQ, I do it thru software, since you can have 16 or 32 bands, and have infinite presets, etc.
      My Setup

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MikeHunt79
        I'd buy a stereo logarithmic pot for a dollar or two and put the sound signal thru it. Voila! Instant volume control.

        EDIT: As for EQ, I do it thru software, since you can have 16 or 32 bands, and have infinite presets, etc.

        dont you get issues with S/N (sound to noise) ratio if you use a pot?

        i know navone engineering (www.davidnavone.com) sells volume controls that can be stuck on the stereo line, but i was concerned about that.

        Good call with the software EQ, 'cept that doenst give you 3 sets of preamps, which is crucial when your sub/amp is way stronger than your stock speakers/amp
        Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jusatry
          dont you get issues with S/N (sound to noise) ratio if you use a pot?

          i know navone engineering (www.davidnavone.com) sells volume controls that can be stuck on the stereo line, but i was concerned about that.

          Good call with the software EQ, 'cept that doenst give you 3 sets of preamps, which is crucial when your sub/amp is way stronger than your stock speakers/amp

          Thanks for your options, what i was saying originally - that by turning the volume up/down ie. using winamp - will have an effect on the sound output?? Is this true ? Or can I just install a better sound card in the computer, buy a line driver or external eq and change the volume using the software

          Will i get good sound output by doing this??

          Thanks

          John

          Comment


          • #6
            For a good priced item look at the Clarion EQS-560 or EQS-744. Both are pre amp/EQ with a sub, fade, AND Vol. The 560 is a 5 band eq and the 744 is a 7 band eq. Both put out 7V on the preout too so the sound should be pretty clear.
            Aura MR62 (F and R)
            My Current MP3s
            IamDefiler.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jusatry
              dont you get issues with S/N (sound to noise) ratio if you use a pot?
              Hmm, maybe, but I Doubt you'd be able hear the noise over the road noise of your car.
              Originally posted by jusatry
              Good call with the software EQ, 'cept that doenst give you 3 sets of preamps, which is crucial when your sub/amp is way stronger than your stock speakers/amp
              If you get a soundcard with surround outputs, you can have sub out, etc.
              My Setup

              Comment

              Working...
              X