Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacking OEM head unit question, PINOUT provided

Hi.

I want to hack up my Chrylser OEM Head Unit from a 1998 Town & Country LXi. (yes the minivan...did I also mention that it's gold and I'm 17?...but it's mine so i'm happy)

I'm doing a carputer install and I've got most things ready except for a line in to the headunit. The sticker on the head unit gives the pinout for the two main cables (5 cables in total to the head unit - ground, antenna, engine live, first main cable, second main cable) as follows:

Feed Connector
    BAT ACC ILL PARK RF- LF- MUTE

Speaker Connector
    RR- LR- RF+ LF+ RR+ LR+ ANT

Chrylser Corporation
    Model No. P04704382AC
    Issue 1
    Date Code 2626
    Supplier 28046
    Serial No. T0BAM2626A2084

Do you know, from the pinouts, if I can use any of the externally available wires to make a line in? Or will I have to solder in a left and right channel input before the internal amp?

Thanks,
    Robert

You are going to need to open it up and solder in before the internal amp.
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

Comment

I found this on the web... hope it helps. Seems kinda complicated though.

http://www.bagotronix.com/alpine_7164_mod.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by neuroplague
        I found this on the web... hope it helps. Seems kinda complicated though.

http://www.bagotronix.com/alpine_7164_mod.pdf
        That does seem complicated. I don't really know enough about circuitry to be really confident in doing that right now but I may try it.

I'm from Long Island too.

Comment

Originally posted by el bob
          That does seem complicated. I don't really know enough about circuitry to be really confident in doing that right now but I may try it.

I'm from Long Island too.
          if there is a round cd changer plug you can use it to input audio
          using the cd changer port

Comment

Originally posted by partyd
            if there is a round cd changer plug you can use it to input audio
            using the cd changer port
            Hi. Thanks for the info, but I have found that there is a neuither a round cd changer plug nor cd changer controls on the head unit.

I will have hack it up.

I called Ivan Baggett, the author of the above linked article on adding auxiliar inputs, to see if he'd do something similar to my head unit for a price but he declined.

Comment

Just read through that link on the aux input, that dude programmed part of his head unit by my understanding?

Understanding of this limited I admit, but that would be pretty cool, sad but cool :P

Later,
              Paolo

Comment

Originally posted by Max018
                Just read through that link on the aux input, that dude programmed part of his head unit by my understanding?

Understanding of this limited I admit, but that would be pretty cool, sad but cool :P

Later,
                Paolo
                I've experimented with PIC programming before. You need to have a PIC programming device connected to your computer via parallel or serial port to use to program the microcontroller. You can buy one but they are kind of expensive. I tried building one and I even finished building it, but I never got around to seeing if it worked. Maybe I'll try constructing a similar circuit and use it.

Right now I'm thinking about doing what he did but without the microcontroller. Unfortunately that would remove the function of single tap/double tap input switching, but it would allow me to use a simpler circuit and then put in an extra button and relay to control it.

Comment

www.crutchfield.com 1998 Chrysler town and country

Infinity Sound System Notes: If your vehicle has the Infinity system, you'll connect the blue wire from the Crutchfield harness to the amp remote wire from the new receiver. There also may be a second wire, usually green/black, attached to the factory radio chassis with the braided strap. If so, this is the ground for the Infinity amplifier(s), and it must be attached to the braided strap and the replacement receiver's ground wire.

12V constant power
                  12V switched power
                  power antenna turn-on
                  dimmer
                  left front speaker +/-
                  right front speaker +/-
                  left rear speaker +/-
                  right rear speaker +/-
                  current projects

Comment

Working...
                  X