Best WiFi PCI Card?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best WiFi PCI Card?

Who makes the best 802.11b,g PCI card? I will be using an external antenna.

Is range the only feature to look at?

D-Link
    Fabricator

Comment

Man what are you smokin??? Dlink? yea right. Cisco Aeronet cards are by far the best. Then Orinico
      -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

I was just on Cisco's site. It doesn't look like they have a PCI card with 802.11g and a dettachable antenna. They have one with 802.11b w/ dettachable. But the g card has an attached antenna?

Comment

BTW, you spelled both Aironet and Orinoco wrong. Makes it tough to .

Comment

It seems from what I've read after I bought my D-Link PCi card, that Orinco is the prefered/popular card. I personally have had good performance from my D-Link, truly plug & play, good range (300+ ft.) and fast speed. What more could you ask for?
            System:
            Epia M1000 w/512MB PC2100, Xenarc 700TS, ATI 7500 PCI, OPUS 150 PSU, 2.5 40GB 5400 HDD, 802.11g PCI, Slim Slot DVDR,
            Gyration RF Kybrd, OBDII adpt. + sftwr, XP pro, iGuidance/Royaltek GPS NAV, XMPCR, Kenwd KAC-8401 4 chnl amp, 10" pwd sub

Comment

WAIT! STOP!

what are you going to be using the card for?
              Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
              Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
              I'M DEBT FREE!!
              I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Senao 200mW PCMCIA card Prism 2.5 chipset with dual ext. antena MMCX connectors
                perfect for the VIA MII1000

http://www.netgate.com/NL2511.html
                '99 F-350 Crew 7.3L~'02 F-350 Crew 7.3L~ '04 Dakota SLT+ 4.7L
                MII12000opus120~MII12000opus120~MII10000opus150
                NA~Senao dual 7.4 ant~Orinoco Gold
                Pioneer~Pioneer~PG Octane-R R5.1MT
                Xenarc, Rikaline6010, Garmin OEM16 HVS, CoPilot10

Comment

Originally posted by antimatter
                  Man what are you smokin??? Dlink? yea right. Cisco Aeronet cards are by far the best. Then Orinico
                  Oops sorry, smoking too much crack I guess. Maybe if I cut down I could afford that Cisco Aeronet card and a Ferrari, and throw away all my DLink and Nissan crap that works perfectly and is reasonably priced.
                  Fabricator

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
                    WAIT! STOP!

what are you going to be using the card for?
                    What do you mean? Am I going to do any wardriving?

Yes, I might "borrow" some bandwidth on occasion.

Comment

If youre gonna do any wardriving you need to get a USB Orinoco gold. There are no PCI cards that are supported by Netstumbler.

If you're gonna do wardriving, you gotta get an Orinoco. And they have external antenna ports on the USB clients, too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=11186
                      Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                      Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                      I'M DEBT FREE!!
                      I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

If youre gonna do any wardriving you need to get a USB Orinoco gold. There are no PCI cards that are supported by Netstumbler.

If you're gonna do wardriving, you gotta get an Orinoco. And they have external antenna ports on the USB clients, too.

BUT if you are using Win XP more cards are supported. I have a D-Link PCMCIA card and netstumbler works just fine.
                        Aura MR62 (F and R)
                        My Current MP3s
                        IamDefiler.com

Comment

Hmm I am using a Belkin PCI .11g card with netstumbler with no problems. It is even a broadcom chipset. Where there is a will there is a way.

Comment

Netstumbler works for me too, although I haven't used it that much.
                            System:
                            Epia M1000 w/512MB PC2100, Xenarc 700TS, ATI 7500 PCI, OPUS 150 PSU, 2.5 40GB 5400 HDD, 802.11g PCI, Slim Slot DVDR,
                            Gyration RF Kybrd, OBDII adpt. + sftwr, XP pro, iGuidance/Royaltek GPS NAV, XMPCR, Kenwd KAC-8401 4 chnl amp, 10" pwd sub

Comment

might wanna do some more research there. Netstumbler works great with a lot of different cards, especially on xp. I'm using it with my Msi pci card just fine

Comment

Working...
                              X