Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opus Users: What case are you using?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Opus Users: What case are you using?

    There aren't many options for Opus power supplies and off-the-shelf cases. For example: What IS the best case for Opus PSU?.

    I was hoping those of you with an Opus power supply can tell us more:
    - Which case?
    - Did you need to make any modifications?
    - Which Opus? (90w/150w, PCB/open frame)


    Thanks!

  • #2
    I am using the Morex 3688 case

    Originally posted by bambooracer
    There aren't many options for Opus power supplies and off-the-shelf cases. For example: What IS the best case for Opus PSU?.

    I was hoping those of you with an Opus power supply can tell us more:
    - Which case?
    - Did you need to make any modifications?
    - Which Opus? (90w/150w, PCB/open frame)


    Thanks!
    Workes great very small. I mount the opus upside down under the cd tray. Only prob is you need to use a laptop drive and a slimline cd-rom. Very small though and the cooling in the case permits good draw past the ps the cpu. I have an epia m-10k mobo - this case is itx only. I am very happy w/ it.

    Comment


    • #3
      - No brand microATX case (any microATX should work)
      - No mods needed, the Opus 150 is in the SFX form factor so its a drop-in replacement for the original PSU
      - Opus 150W standard housing

      Comment


      • #4
        Some pics (Click to enlarge):






        It was about 1cm too big to fit in that case, both beside the Epia, and in height when it was inside the casing.
        Outside it's casing, however, it fits as shown there (on the inside of the lid) really snugly


        Garry
        Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
        www.aimee.cc

        Comment


        • #5
          I've got the Opus 90 watt PSU and the open frame. I haven't installed it yet, as I am STILL waiting on my screen - but that's another topic.

          My case isn't what you would expect from an "off-the-shelf" case. It wasn't meant to be a computer case - but I did buy it off-the-shelf! I just bought it last night, so I don't have pics or anything yet. But my case is the KARBO key cabinet from IKEA. It was $7, so it's a bargain. I will have to mod it up some - you have to cut a whole for the ports and drill wholes for the motherboard mounts to screw in. The EPIA M10000 and the Opus 90w fit side by side in it rather snuggly. You can mount the HDD on the lid, upside-down.

          Check out Orangewhip's post: (that's where I got the idea)
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...highlight=IKEA

          Unlike Orangewhip, I'm not going to make individual holes for each port, I'm just going to make one big rectangular hole for the face plate that comes with the EPIA. Then one custom hole for the power input, and that should be it. The flat IDE cable for my DVD drive will run out the slit in the back of the case where the lid hinges.

          All said and done, the hour worth of work it will take to mod the case is well worth the $50 to $100 saved on the case.
          So far:
          M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

          Comment


          • #6
            I assume the Opus150W is too big to fit in the IKEA case with the Via motherboard?
            Otherwise I would be all over that
            Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
            Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

            Comment


            • #7
              I dunno. From the pics above, it looks like it might fit if you removed the 150 from the housing. It depends on how high that riser card in it is. Anyone want to open theirs up and measure?

              If someone can give me the board dimensions and the max height, I can measure it against the IKEA box.
              So far:
              M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bklynkaos
                Workes great very small. I mount the opus upside down under the cd tray. Only prob is you need to use a laptop drive and a slimline cd-rom. Very small though and the cooling in the case permits good draw past the ps the cpu. I have an epia m-10k mobo - this case is itx only. I am very happy w/ it.
                Thanks! Are you using the 90w or 150w Opus with your Morex 3688? Frame or bare pcb? Did you drill holes or make other modifications?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Will the opus 150 fit in a itx cube case with a m10000?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by brrman
                    I assume the Opus150W is too big to fit in the IKEA case with the Via motherboard?
                    Otherwise I would be all over that
                    check out a local electronics store. I bought an aluminum project case from a computer store here
                    10*8*3
                    waiting on my opus but as it is everything fits great
                    looks like the opus will fit good

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I am using the 90watt

                      Originally posted by bambooracer
                      Thanks! Are you using the 90w or 150w Opus with your Morex 3688? Frame or bare pcb? Did you drill holes or make other modifications?
                      There was some mods required.
                      I had to drill holes in the bottom of the cd/hdd tray. Wasnt bad. I re-used the foam from the mobo to cushon the bottom of the pcb and prevent any shorting.
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I constructed my own case for my 150 watt OPUS. I got the PCB Only version. I just built a case out of MDF and covered it with carpeting then stuck a Mini-ATX backing from an old case in it. I cut a piece of alumininum for the OPUS and screwed it into the backing for the motherboard. I used motherboard screw holders and put them through the aluminum and attached the OPUS to that. I don't have anpictures of the case apart, but the OPUS is the thing on the left on the small piece of sheet metal.









                        StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                        Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                        The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Godofcpu,
                          Nice Spring loaded Hardrive housing.

                          I purchased the Opus 90w power supply. I don't havn't tested it yet but i fabricated a case for the powesupply and the motherboard.

                          Will i have problems because the Opus is exposed?
                          -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I haven't had any problems with my Opus just being protected by the wood case for the whole computer. As long as the circuit board isn't in a place where its prone to be bumped by other objects you shouldn't have any problems, just don't touch the nice exposed metal parts while its on particularly with fingers or other metal objects.

                            Originally posted by antimatter
                            Godofcpu,
                            Nice Spring loaded Hardrive housing.

                            I purchased the Opus 90w power supply. I don't havn't tested it yet but i fabricated a case for the powesupply and the motherboard.

                            Will i have problems because the Opus is exposed?
                            StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                            Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                            The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bklynkaos
                              There was some mods required.
                              I had to drill holes in the bottom of the cd/hdd tray. Wasnt bad. I re-used the foam from the mobo to cushon the bottom of the pcb and prevent any shorting.
                              I'm doing something very similar, I have the same (pretty much the same) case from morex. Mine has the different face... anyway, have you have any issues with heat? Did you have to disconnect the USB ports on the front of your machine?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X