Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my hard drive going to survive ? spl

hello:
    I am new here posting but i been reading a lot so i don't ask to much but. this is not here

I am putting a computer in my vehicle ( 1996 chevy van ) this is going in the midle of the seats

is my hard drive ( maxtor 80g ) going to survive the spl of 8 woofers 154.1DB ?
    what can i do to prevent this. is there a long cable to take the hard drives to the back of the van ?
    the speaker box is built in the midle of the van there is no spl in the back but the floor vibrates

thank you for the help and ideas

Wait... I don't understand what the heck you just said. You need to use some punctuation my friend, because all that running on is giving me a headache, and I certainly can't help you when I can't even understand the question...
    The ALEXIS Project
    MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
    Color Coding :
    DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

Originally posted by deadweasel
      Wait... I don't understand what the heck you just said. You need to use some punctuation my friend, because all that running on is giving me a headache, and I certainly can't help you when I can't even understand the question...
      sorry I can talk but. i can not write that good

Comment

ask one question at a time. the one most important and it will go from there
        I GIVE FREE HUGS!
        Buy Sell or Trade
        If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
        Thank you
        Forex
        Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

I only have one question. Is my hard drive going to survive the spl ??
          thank you

Comment

lol @ 154.1 dB, i'd be more concerned about ur hearing than ur harddrive.
            National Geode 233 MMX, Homemade 5V/12V DC-DC Converter, 6.5" TFT LCD w/ Touchscreen, Motorola Oncore GT+ GPS w/ Routis, Netgear 802.11 w/ External Antenna, IBM Travelstar 10gig HD, Homemade Serial Infrared receiver, Homemade Small Serial Trackball

Comment

my heaing is okay i don't play it loud all the time. my eyes jump and i can not drive with the volume up .
              but sometimes i play it loud for a few seconds and i belive that my HD is not going to like that

Comment

Are you going to be running the audio output from your computer into a head unit or straight to your amps? Either way, your safest bet would be to install the entire computer in the back of the van behind the speaker box. Just use longer audio and video cables. If your spl is really that high, you still might need some extra protection for your hard drive.
                - Sony XAV-7W In-Dash 7" LCD
                - Via EPIA 800MHz
                - 256MB SDRAM
                - 40GB HDD
                - Targus Wireless Remote
                - Win 98SE
                See it Here
                or Here (cardomain.com)

Comment

the audio from the computer is going in to the A/V input of and alpine cva 1005 .
                  also I only have space for the computer under the front seat or inside the center console .
                  the back is almost full with batteries and amplifiers.there is space for the hard drive. If i can get a 17F long hard drive cable

is there any better hard drive ?
                  can i build any type of box for them?
                  thank you

Comment

how long can the cable of the hard drive be ?
                    IF Is to long over 15 feet will create resistan ?
                    thank you

Comment

As far as I know, regular IDE cable can't be more than about 3 feet long, and performance degrades with length on IDE so for best performance you shouldn't really be going longer than 1 or 2 feet.

You'll have to go with another type of hard drive, like maybe firewire or something, if you want to move the hard drive away from the motherboard.

Comment

thank you. i found this
                        IOMEGA USB HD 40 GB FIREWIRE COMPATIBLE
                        the HD is going to be 16 feet away from the computer is this ok ?
                        thanks

Comment

that should be fine, but unless things have changed (VERY POSSIBLE!) you can't boot from an external firewire drive (unless you're running a mac). I think you might be better off relocating the whole computer (minus screen), or just trying to isolate the harddrive.
                          car computer rev 5: 8" lilliput and usual suspects

Comment

I am going to have the same problem, my stereo does just under 140 DB. I have decided to build a suspension system for the Maxtor 80Gb inside the trunk, a couple feet away from the subs. I hope it doesn't take too bad of a beating........

Comment

Do not suspend the drive.... you can introduce a drive damaging bounce. Read up on HD mounting with the search function.
                              TruckinMP3
                              D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Working...
                              X