CF-booting times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CF-booting times

Hello! Just to clear this up.. What's the fastest device to boot from? CF-card (on IDE controller), or an 7200rpm wd hd? I've searched, but the threads I found said different things..

Also.. What's your boot up times with CF cards, and with which OS? If I were to go with CF i think I would use 98 or ME lite.. What would be fastest?

Originally posted by burnout.no
    Hello! Just to clear this up.. What's the fastest device to boot from? CF-card (on IDE controller), or an 7200rpm wd hd? I've searched, but the threads I found said different things..

Also.. What's your boot up times with CF cards, and with which OS? If I were to go with CF i think I would use 98 or ME lite.. What would be fastest?
    If you install 98/ME on a cf card, you will need to disable the swap space in 98/ME. Using swap space on a CF card will seriously burn it out.

I read that after 4 million or so writes, your CF card quits saving (changing states).

Disabling the swap space may slow down your bootup times, too.

Fastest "boot" comes from XP when you wake from hibernation.

Comment

I guess having ennough memory (half a gig in 98 is very much, 1 gig more then plenty) you could skip swap space in 98 and run on CF only.

I plan on getting a flash IDE drive as boot up. (no mecanical part means no boot problems during canadian winter.)
      I'd install 98 and all software, no swap disk.

Then I'd have a 20 gig data drive that's extended temp range, but I want the system to work without data drive, figuring the FlashDrive would boot faster then any mecanical hard drive.
      -Mars

Comment

Well.. Right now I'm using ME on a WD1200JB (120gb, 8mb cache).. And to put it this way, when the bios is done posting, it boots quite fast.. The swap file is disabled.. 95/98/98SE/Me will NOT work with more than 512 mb ram... The norwegian winters are cold too, so like Marsupial said, it would mean no boot-problem.. The data's going to be acessed from a usb 2.0 hd.. Planning on putting my WD1200JB on usb enclosure, IF CF proves fast enough!

Comment

Thanks burnout for clarification. Nice to see swapless is doing good.

I think there is a tiny 98 setup available somewhere, that should be working without hard drives, if anyone have a URL about it?

something like win98lite (its not MS supported - its a user's project)
          -Mars

Comment

Working...
          X