1/2 din AM/FM radio ????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2 din AM/FM radio ????

I'm not particularly keen on controlling my AM/FM radio through the computer (especially since most are only FM).

has anyone ever even heard of or seen a 1/2 din AM/FM radio ONLY. no cd, no tape?
    2000 Jeep Cherokee
    -CarPC: [»»»»»_____]50% complete
    -planning done, still need a few parts
    -In-dash motorized VGA is finally out, need $$$
    -Need to replace factory HU

I spent a while looking for a decent HU that was AM/FM w/ AUX input. I found nothing. Finally gave up and decided on HU-less.

Comment

I'm still waiting for the radioshark USB am/fm since I never found anything else that is AM/FM.

there is the Cadet, but its ISA.
      -Mars

Comment

@eCar
        How did you search ? Alot of VDO and Sony radios have AUX-in. Also most Panasonic or Kenwood Radios offer AUX-in when using an adapter for the CD-Changer connector on the radio. Seems as if you didn't search long or good enough...

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad
          @eCar
          How did you search ? Alot of VDO and Sony radios have AUX-in. Also most Panasonic or Kenwood Radios offer AUX-in when using an adapter for the CD-Changer connector on the radio. Seems as if you didn't search long or good enough...
          ok, fine. but how many of those are 1/2 DIN? note: half DIN is only one inch tall, not 2. a double-DIN radio (which more and more cars are coming with) is 4" tall. i'd like to find a 1/2 DIN am/fm tuner as well. i can find 1/2 DIN equalizers all day long, but no tuners.
          Previous: CamryAmp 1.0 - 95 Camry SE V6 Coupe (sold)
          Current: CamryAmp 2.0 - 98 Camry CE V6 5spd (still bench-testing)

Comment

Originally posted by spectrrr
            I'm not particularly keen on controlling my AM/FM radio through the computer (especially since most are only FM).

has anyone ever even heard of or seen a 1/2 din AM/FM radio ONLY. no cd, no tape?
            Bump for a good question. I have scoured the internet myself looking for this item and have come up with nothing. Let me know if you come up with anything...
            2000 Acura Integra Type-R
            Progress = 99% ---> Check it out:
            http://www.matrixshark.com/carputer.htm

Comment

Originally posted by spectrrr

Yup,there is.It's from a company called Custom Autosound.These were originally developed for 50's cars and musclecars where you wouldn't want to cut up the dash to put in a modern radio.You'll have to hack the pinout on the cable to get aux in,but it can be done.It's essentially a tuner box that you can mount under a seat,and a cable going to a faceplate that you can mount anywhere you want.
              Look for the Secret Audio model ss1,there are two different versions,the older one is the one you're looking for.
              Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Thankyou for the reply. That is an excellent suggestion. Here is the direct link to save you the googling.

Secret Audio

Comment

Yeah there are plenty of single din head units, but I haven't looked for half din HUs

Comment

Well if you do happen to look and find anything, come back to this thread and share. I know that a good looking half din am/fm radio and wide screen 7" LCD would fit nicely and flush mount into the area available in my dash.

Comment

Originally posted by MATRIXSHARK
                      Thankyou for the reply. That is an excellent suggestion. Here is the direct link to save you the googling.

Secret Audio

interesting... there's a typo on their site though. looks like it's 4.5" wide and 1.5" tall, but they couldn't type that correctly so it shows 1 '/2" (H) X 4 '/2" (W). strange. i guess in some fonts that would look right, but not in arial/helv. i kinda like how it's got its own amp (though only 25x4) but it's a neat idea.

i think at this point i'll just wait for the am/fm radio that rando and others are working on.
                      Previous: CamryAmp 1.0 - 95 Camry SE V6 Coupe (sold)
                      Current: CamryAmp 2.0 - 98 Camry CE V6 5spd (still bench-testing)

Comment

Working...
                      X