Make a suggestion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make a suggestion

Ok, I finally aquired all the pieces for my second setup (the first was stolen before I installed it in my car). My collection is composed of:
    - Pentium 133Mhz, 16MB, MOBO with IDE/Floppy/Serial/Parallel (very standard)
    - Trident VGA 1Mb (old old card)
    - SoundBlaster 16 (no so old, but old anyway)
    - Adaptec AU2940 SCSI-II
    - 2.5Gb IBM SCSI disk
    - 40x4 Parallel LCD
    - IrMAN (if it arrives someday...)
    - Custom Keyboard/Keypad

So the question is, what you suggest I do with those, the DOS way (MPXPLAY/MPXPF) the windows way (WinAmp +Plugins) or the Linux way (CAJUN).

The only things I'll be throwing into it next is an IDE 15Gb disk and an IDE CD-ROM.

I'm thinking on building my own MP3 player windows software, just to see if I can, but can't wait that long...

btw a p 133 prolly wont recognise a hdd over 8.4 gig or somethinf like that

cheers
    pcman
    donate to my team in the ****box rally all proceeds go to the cancer council http://www.everydayhero.com.au/dodgy_mechanics

Comment

Thought that had to do with the operating system, not the cpu. Like if you run windows95 you need to partition it if you were using that much.
      www.geocities.com/blkdragon6

Comment

it depends on both really
        the drive will not boot if the bios wont recognise it unless he installes a drive overlay and a drive overlasy slows the drive down lots

if he boots from a smaller hdd and has the 15 gig for mp3s then he will be fine if he runs windows 9x

cheers
        - Pcman

donate to my team in the ****box rally all proceeds go to the cancer council http://www.everydayhero.com.au/dodgy_mechanics

Comment

Actually, on the hardware side, it is the motherboard and not the CPU which limits the harddrive sizes supported. Because usually the IDE controller is onboard the motherboard.

To solve this problem (if flashing the bios does not help), use a PCI IDE controller (like the Promise Ultra100 or Ultra66. Or even use the Promise FastTrack66 og FastTrack100 for RAID support).

Comment

There are also limits imposed by the type of file system used. FAT16 has a 2gig partition limit due to the side of the clusters used.. FAT32 does not have this limit.. most pentium+ will recognize any hard drive no problem...
            MP3 Cavalier - http://www.mp3cavalier.com
            MP3 Grand Prix - http://www.mp3gp.com

Comment

I've got a 30 gig drive running on a p120 with Win98. Works great. I used the Western Digital EZ Bios overlay which came with the drive. No need to break down the drive into smaller partitions. I've noticed no performance loss as a result of the overlay and even if there was you don't need much to play MP3s.

Comment

Errr... Hey guys (and gals) BTW, nobody says nothing about which way would be better?

Comment

depend on what you want to do with P 133 box. if you want to do a lot of stuff like dvd and so, i would say 133 is not a good way. if you just want to use win9x with minimal install to run mp3 alone, p133 would do the job for you. for mp3 alone purpose, i would say dos player woould be good for this p133 because you only run mp3.
                  to me , you can use both win9x or dos. dos is nongraphic but fast while win9x little bit slow but grahpic.

Comment

Originally posted by noproblem:
                    depend on what you want to do with P 133 box. if you want to do a lot of stuff like dvd and so, i would say 133 is not a good way. if you just want to use win9x with minimal install to run mp3 alone, p133 would do the job for you. for mp3 alone purpose, i would say dos player woould be good for this p133 because you only run mp3.
                    to me , you can use both win9x or dos. dos is nongraphic but fast while win9x little bit slow but grahpic.
                    The only extra thing I'll be adding to this equipment is a bigger disk, and maybe a CDROM or internal Zip. My car is too little to add big screens. I'm planning to keep my complete mp3 collection (5+Gb) in the car, so maybe the question is:
                    Which environment is best to handle that size of playlist (or lists) with the equipment I have.

Comment

like i said, depend on what you like ,, grhapic or not.. if grahpic go with win9x if no grahpic go with dos. since p133 can handble both eviroment

Comment

^insane: It's the chipset, not the BIOS that limits earlier Pentium boards. VX chipsets have a hardware limit of approx. 8.4Gigs. You can get around this with a third party IDE controller, and possibly an overlay (although overlays cause more problems than they solve....).
                        Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                        Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                        "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Thats what i said (just in another way). I said the motherboard was the limitation, and as you know, the motherboard holds the chipset

Originally posted by Aaron Cake:
                          ^insane: It's the chipset, not the BIOS that limits earlier Pentium boards. VX chipsets have a hardware limit of approx. 8.4Gigs. You can get around this with a third party IDE controller, and possibly an overlay (although overlays cause more problems than they solve....).

Comment

The bios issue is not an issue at all, at least using MPXF and MPXPlay. I have a 13G hd running under DOS 6.22 that has seven partitions as the bios supports 2.1G maximum.
                            Originally I had installed a 4.3G laptop drive and had only fdisked the boot partition to play around with the software and decide if it was what I was looking for. Once the software was configured and alot of MP3s loaded, I decided to fdisk the second partition which went fine (without harm to the boot partition). Loaded it with MP3s and the really nice thing was that to the software, the hard drive was "seamless". With about 700 plus MP3s, I could access all simply by typing the song number in. No drive letter to be dealt with, no hassles. Have to admit, I am very pleased with it all.

Comment

i have asus vx chipset motherboard. it take up to 20 gig hd.

Comment

Working...
                              X