Sound isn't the best....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound isn't the best....

I just finished my system install (see the website :-)), and everything is running great, I'm just not happy with the audio quality. Granted, I don't exactly have an audiophile's input setup -- the CPU is in the trunk, audio is coming driectly from the built-in audio on the FV-24 mobo, going through about 10 feet of stereo headphone extension cable and entering my wonderful factory system (no really it is -- first car with factory Dolby Pro Logic) via a lame *** tape adapter - unfortunately there is no Aux input cd changer spoof available for my car yet...

Anyway, I was hoping to get some suggestions as to how to improve the sound quality and frequency response especially at the low end of the spectrum (I notice that the lower frequencies I am used to, are very much lacking in this setup).

Thanks in advance,
    Jonathan

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: WakeAndSno ]
    JZ CarPC - 1998 Volvo C70
    Shuttle SV-24 Celery 400Mhz 128MB SDRAM 60GB HD DVD, 12.1" VGA TFT LCD, Sproggy/Mastero DC-DC ATX PSU, Mucha ATX shutdown controller, Co-Pilot GPS

I think you know the answer to your own question. The problems start with the headphone extention cable to the cassette adapter.

It will be next to impossible to get past the cassette adapter limitation.
    current projects

Comment

yeah the tape adapter will have a definate effect on your low end..... until your get AUX in, or ditch the head unit for another headunit/direct amp input, etc... your not gonna improve on sound that much....

on another note, sweet looking ride...
      Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

unless you crack open the head unit, you're going to have crappy sound through the tape adapter.

Are you absolutely certain that there is no AUX-in? seems rather silly to have dolby pro logic without anything to really *use* it (not to mention, usually the higher end units would only have dolby, so why wouldn't they have AUX In?)
        IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

First of all, only the CD player (an in-dash 3 disc) and the tape use the Dolby Pro Logic decoding - its really used just to create excellent spacial imaging in the car... Again, this is a factory head unit, so there aren't typically aux in's anyway. I have contacted blitzsafe and perip[heral electronic in search of an adapter and blitsafe replyed with a "supposed to be released in Jan. '02."

In the meantime, I did a little experiement. I already had run a USB line to the front and have a powered hub on the center console, so I decided to try the USB audio approach - WOW! BIG difference, but its still not perfect... MUCH better though - I essentially removed the 10' of analog loss and replaced it with about 1 foot directly from digital USB audio to the tape adapter. I have lows now! A little boom is always good....
          For anyone with similar issues, I picked up the Telex USB digital computer Headset (and ditched the headset). Instead of being directly wired to the USB, the headset is standard and actually plugs into the adapter using standard microphone and headset ports... again, a large improvement, but still not what it could be...
          I think this will keep me set until Jan. '02 rolls around and Blitzsafe reveals there Aux in Changer spoof....
          Thanks for the help meanwhile...
          Jonathan
          Shuttle SV-24 Celery 400Mhz 128MB SDRAM 60GB HD DVD, 12.1" VGA TFT LCD, Sproggy/Mastero DC-DC ATX PSU, Mucha ATX shutdown controller, Co-Pilot GPS

Comment

Get an FM modulator and run your audio throught that. Sounds 10 times better than a tape adapter.
            http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Maveric/ M.A.V.I.C. System
            Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

Maveric - thats the FIRST time I've heard that one! I've always heard/read the opposite... Do you ahve an FM modulator? I would expect that would have a larger frequency loss just due to the nature of FM transmission...

Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by WakeAndSno:
                <STRONG>Maveric - thats the FIRST time I've heard that one! I've always heard/read the opposite... Do you ahve an FM modulator? I would expect that would have a larger frequency loss just due to the nature of FM transmission...

Jonathan</STRONG>

yeah I had one...... freq range on the low end was cut at 45Hz!!! basically NO real bass! sufice to say I got rid of that little bit of junk quick!
                Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

Working...
                X