Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crappy USB2 DVD playback

Hi All,
    Wondering what other peoples experiences are with a usb2 external DVD drives? I can't get mine to play well worth a damn. I bought the slim line one at www.overstock.com.

I think the player is just junk. What do other people use? Looking for DVD/CDRW.

TIA,
    Per

Originally posted by S4Per
    Hi All,
    Wondering what other peoples experiences are with a usb2 external DVD drives? I can't get mine to play well worth a damn. I bought the slim line one at www.overstock.com.

I think the player is just junk. What do other people use? Looking for DVD/CDRW.

TIA,
    Per
    I use a standard 5.25" external USB2 dvd drive and it works great with my epia mobo....I didn't even have to load any drivers.

What is the brand/model of the one you bought?
    My Celica Carputer Install

Comment

I'm assuming he's talking about this one:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....PROD_ID=541588

tigerdirect also sells it, but that probably just confirms that it's crap.

Comment

uhm... dvds over USB? some stuff was simply ment for IDE mate. the bandwidth and processing power required to effectively render the mpeg2 is a bit overwhelming on a USB made for printers, i would say.
        Welcome, cdm.
        You last visited: 09-13-2006 at 02:42 AM
        Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 3.

Wow.. how things have changed in 4 years. Gone are the days of mcgyver and datalux

Comment

Originally posted by cdm
          uhm... dvds over USB? some stuff was simply ment for IDE mate. the bandwidth and processing power required to effectively render the mpeg2 is a bit overwhelming on a USB made for printers, i would say.
          He mentioned that it was USB2 though, and having played around with a USB2 external hard drive and DVD, I have to say that it's most definitely up to the task.

There may be another issue here though. Remember that USB2 is only supported in the latest-patched version of Win2k, with a few patches in XP, and not at all in NT/98/95 etc.

If you don't have the proper junk in place on your machine, it might simply be attempting to play over USB1.1 protocol, in which case CDM is quite correct: playback will be teh sucky.

If you are sure it's operating under USB2.0 (That's USB2 Full speed, not High Speed) then it's probably a crap drive.

Incidentally, for those who may not be aware, the W3C (or whatever the hell they are called) decided to call both USB1.1 and USB2.0 as USB2. NOW, when you say USB2, you need to specify USB High Speed (1.1) or USB Full Speed (2.0). Apparently, this was done so that manufacturers could capitalize on the confusion by simply putting "USB2 compatible!" on their packaging and watch customers buy up all the old stock. I've gotten a few stickered mobo boxes through our store, but I take the honest approach and make sure the customer is aware of the discrepency. I sure as hell don't want to lose my customers' trust just because some jackweed wants to make a buck off their ignorance.

/end impromptu lesson.
          The ALEXIS Project
          MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
          Color Coding :
          DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

right. i assumed it was 1.1 should have probably said that but fingers are feeling lazy at 2am.
            Welcome, cdm.
            You last visited: 09-13-2006 at 02:42 AM
            Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 3.

Wow.. how things have changed in 4 years. Gone are the days of mcgyver and datalux

Comment

well, i'm all patched up and it says it supports 480MB/s, so we're at 'full speed'. I think this drive just stinks..don't know what else to chalk it up to.

Any specific models other people are using that are USB2 based? THe PC is in the trunk, so I don't think I can extend and IDE cable that far.

Thanks again,
              Per

Comment

Crap. Well, at least it seems to be locked down. Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience with external DVDs to give you a good idea.

HOWEVER, there are USB2 (Full speed) external shell kits that you can mount a regular IDE DVD drive into. The shells run 40-80 dollars, and the drives are relatively cheap enough to get. That way, you won't have to worry about quality of miniaturized (sp?) electronics, such as what is likely causing your headaches now.
                The ALEXIS Project
                MP3---VIDEO---GPS---REARVIEW---OBD---SKINNING
                Color Coding :
                DONE / MOSTLY DONE / BASE FEATURES / WORKING CONCEPT / NO CODE COMPLETED

Comment

Yep, used a (screen dead so not in use ATM) USB2 (think it is a Freecom) with an Epia M1000 and an MSI KT133 Ultra2 and Duron 1.3 with both Win2k and WinXP.

Works fine with both.
                  4x4 in a turbo stylee.

Comment

damn...i just bought this adapter. i will be trying it out monday night running under 98se. the instructions say it will work.

ps yes there is a reason i'm running se-i have a parallel port relay that can't work with xp so i'm trying to get the best of both worlds.
                    99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

No problems with mine but I don't have the one mentioned. I have this one. Have it on a USB 2.0 Hub with other devices and never skips a beat.
                      Aura MR62 (F and R)
                      My Current MP3s
                      IamDefiler.com

Comment

I have been debating about what to use for the notebook CD drive that I'll have in the dash. I want to use an IDE to USB 2.0 adapter. But I don't always want to be screwing around with it to get it to work. I have heard a lot of people with problems with USB devices not being detected (especially with hibernation). IDE seems to be more reliable to me. But then again, I've never tried a 15' IDE cable. Somebody had mentioned using 8 Cat5 cables to make one. Hmmmn. I only have about 60' of Cat5 here. I'd need 120' to make a 15' cable. I don't think I've seen anyone selling rounded, custom-length IDE cables, but that would be the way to go.

I was checking out this IDE to USB adapter at Newegg, but it didn't get good customer reviews. I haven't found any other reviews on any brand of adapter. I guess it's only ~$35 to find out if it works for me.

Comment

firewire works great!
                          Project "Media-Z" : 99 Camaro Z28 (Click to View)

Comment

There is a maximum length to USB 2.0 (full speed) as well. I don't know what it is, but it's a suggestion.
                            http://www.arizonasportcompacts.com

Comment

Originally posted by S4Per
                              Hi All,

TIA,
                              Per
                              I'm running a Storix USB 2.0 DVD CD-RW. Works great. I have a laptop for my carputer that is way I stuck with USB. Got a 4 port usb 2.0 pccard and a walmart power inverter. I can play dvd's and burn cd-r's without a hitch. If I were to go with a desktop MB I would have stuck with IDE.

Comment

Working...
                              X