Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

External Audio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • External Audio

    I know there has been a lot about this.
    But here is one more thread.

    Ok I want a not to expensive 5.1 sound card.
    I know of Audigy, Extigy, M-Audio.
    which is the best of these.

    I found this one! http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/ZM-RSSC.htm
    I don't think it needs external power, that would be very good.
    Has anyone tried this. It's very inexpensive. about 50 Euro.

    Do you think it will do the job?

    Or maybe this one
    http://europe.hercules.com/showpage.php?p=84&b=1&f=1

    One more question.
    I can't figure out why the extigy is so much more expensive than the audigy 2 Nx whats better with that (except for 12v)?

    My setup:
    Epia M1000
    256Mb
    ...

  • #2
    I just got an Audigy2. Love it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Philips has a model (PSC 805)
      That seems to be good. I don't think it needs external power either. Has anyone tried that?

      http://www.consumer.philips.com/glob...ctId=PSC805_00

      Comment


      • #4
        i used a creative labs SB awe 64 in my older mp3 player design and that worked great. not a lot of noise, but there still was some because of all the crap inside the computer makin interference. i'd imagine that's the issue that the external sound cards address and pretty much fix since there aren't any analog signals flyin all around to get distorted...well until the card converts the digital to analog. so anyways, i guess to minimize the noise problems, the external cards r probably the way to go. however, i also have an audigy card in my normal computer, and that card is simply amazing. the signal to noise ratio on that card is in excess of 100dB, so it's pretty quiet. hope this helps.
        National Geode 233 MMX, Homemade 5V/12V DC-DC Converter, 6.5" TFT LCD w/ Touchscreen, Motorola Oncore GT+ GPS w/ Routis, Netgear 802.11 w/ External Antenna, IBM Travelstar 10gig HD, Homemade Serial Infrared receiver, Homemade Small Serial Trackball

        Comment


        • #5
          I think the audigy would be perfekt (except for external power), but I think it will slow down my M1000. Not sure about this though.

          The philips sounds very interesting I think. I wonder how much CPU it takes.

          Comment


          • #6
            They say it only needs 350Mhz on their homepage.
            And no external Power.
            I think this sounds very good.

            Or do anyone else has something clever to tell me before I buy one?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by storm
              They say it only needs 350Mhz on their homepage.
              And no external Power.
              I think this sounds very good.

              Or do anyone else has something clever to tell me before I buy one?


              check out tomshardware.com in the hardware section there is a review of USB external sound cards....phillips is in there

              just found a link:
              http://www.tomshardware.com/video/20040223/index.html

              hope that helps

              i was going to get the audigy but didnt want to deal with the power issue (5V), then i was going to get the extigy since i already had a laptop power source hardwired (one of the radioshack ones with a voltage adjuster), but it is 8" accross and 8" deep...too big for me

              so i got the m-audio sonica theater. it is supposed to go up to 7.1 and it is bus powered.....we will see how it works, ill keep ya "post"ed
              Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jusatry
                so i got the m-audio sonica theater. it is supposed to go up to 7.1 and it is bus powered.....we will see how it works, ill keep ya "post"ed
                M-audio is great, unless your planning on using the d-link radio, I have it, it manages the line-in in a very funky way.

                Has anyone used the Hercules Muse?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ok I've compared all the external 5.1 sound cards I can find:

                  Hercules Muse: 16 bit. Needs PIII 500Mhz what I can tell it has the best sound/price. No external power. ca 55€

                  Creative Audigy 2 NX: 24 bit. Seems to make the best sound, BUT it needs PIII 500Mhz and it needs 5V external power. ca 130€

                  Creative Extigy: 24 bit. I think it's overpriced, not as good sound as the Audigy, but it only needs Pentium 300Mhz. It needs 12V external power. ca 180€

                  Terratec Aureon 5.1 USB: 16 bit. Is very similar to the Hercules Muse. But it seems to have better sound quality than the muse. No external power, and it has RCA out. It requires PIII 600Mhz!!! ca 90€

                  Philips PSC 805: 24 bit. Doesn't need any external power supply. Requires 350Mhz CPU. Maybe not as good sound quality as the audigy but the same or better than Muse and Terratec. It needs Win XP or 2000. ca 95€

                  The prices are what they cost in Sweden (kroners) just converted to €, so there may be differences, from the Europe. I think for example the extigy is a little bit cheaper in europe.

                  You who have audigy and M1000, is it ok? or does it slow down the computer too much? If it does only philips and extigy is left.

                  Tell me it I've forgotten any or if I've misunderstod something.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I thought Extigy was 9V. At least that's what I remember from looking at it a couple years back.
                    I am running Audigy2 NX, but can't really tell you if it eats up much of the resources, as I have a ton to spare.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by storm
                      Ok I've compared all the external 5.1 sound cards I can find:

                      Hercules Muse: 16 bit. Needs PIII 500Mhz what I can tell it has the best sound/price. No external power. ca 55€

                      Creative Audigy 2 NX: 24 bit. Seems to make the best sound, BUT it needs PIII 500Mhz and it needs 5V external power. ca 130€

                      Creative Extigy: 24 bit. I think it's overpriced, not as good sound as the Audigy, but it only needs Pentium 300Mhz. It needs 12V external power. ca 180€

                      Terratec Aureon 5.1 USB: 16 bit. Is very similar to the Hercules Muse. But it seems to have better sound quality than the muse. No external power, and it has RCA out. It requires PIII 600Mhz!!! ca 90€

                      Philips PSC 805: 24 bit. Doesn't need any external power supply. Requires 350Mhz CPU. Maybe not as good sound quality as the audigy but the same or better than Muse and Terratec. It needs Win XP or 2000. ca 95€

                      The prices are what they cost in Sweden (kroners) just converted to €, so there may be differences, from the Europe. I think for example the extigy is a little bit cheaper in europe.

                      You who have audigy and M1000, is it ok? or does it slow down the computer too much? If it does only philips and extigy is left.

                      Tell me it I've forgotten any or if I've misunderstod something.
                      You forgot M-audio.....bus powered PIII 500 MHz for 5.1 surround.....
                      Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X