Testing an Astec power supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing an Astec power supply

I'd like to test my Astec DC-DC Power Supply in my house before taking the time to mount it only to find out that it's bunk.

I'm wondering if I could test it by using one of the 12v outputs and a ground from a normal AC-DC supply.
    Is this safe? (I'd realy be ****ed if I blew the Power supply before getting it into my car.)
    Thanks,
    Machs_FueL
    [SIZE=1]'91 Nissan Stanza

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] XX% Completed -
    Car Totaled and i bought a 20G mp3 player

http://machs-fuel.tk
    a DIY video projector page

if you do that, make sure that your ac-dc power supply give enough juice. for instance, i used a 300mw power supply to try to get a 12v air compressor to work. basically my power supply couldnt handle the power load that my compressor needed, and i thought the compressor was fubar'd. i then used my jumper cables and hooked the air compressor up to my truck's battery and lo and behold it worked.

what's my point? dont use a really small ac-dc power supply like my dumb *** did. i just used an old cell phone charger. most of the bench units sold specifically for the purpose of having a DC power supply will be able to handle your PSU
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Machs_Fuel: If you had the Arise DC-DC (ace-865v) PSU, you could have being able to power your entire box off of the 12v comming out of the PC. Thats how easy it is for me when i take it inside the house or to work to update/program the box. NOTE that i use the 12v from a regualar PC to power up mb,45gighd,dvd,6.8" TFT screen,IR,3 Fans including CPU and etc.

abcd-1
      abcd-1
      Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
      You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

Thanks Guys ,
        I guess I'll give it a try then ..

wizardPC - I already tryed a small adapter rated @ 500mA. Needless to say it was a no go.
        cenwesi - How many amps does it use?
        I know the Asctec manual says at surge it uses 4.1A @ 11v.

[This message has been edited by Machs_FueL (edited 08-21-2000).]

Comment

ArG!

So I hooked the whole deal together and turn it on and nothing!
          i took off the jumper that connects 19 and 20 ( the switch) and connected them manualy (with my finger) and it goes on for a sec then off. Taping on the to pins keeps it on for more then a 1/2 a sec but I can't drive like that eh?

What GiveS?!

Comment

last time i checked my astec supply was drawing ~2.2 amps or so powering an advantech board w/ p233mmx cpu, 12 gig toshiba notebook drive, lcd backlight at 150ma and an irman plugged into the serial port

Comment

So I've hooked my Astec Power supply to my car battery and it seems to do nothing. The input power is ~12v and the output from each pin is ~12v. Is this power supply usless or am I doing something wrong?

Comment

Make sure that your pin #1 (on the output) is not connected to ground. Pin #1 is -5V. I accidentally connected it to ground because I could not read the instructions very well. It did the very same thing that is happening to you. It would go on for a sec and then nothing.

Comment

Machs_FueL, Try hooking up both pins 19 and 20 together and to ground. Thats what worked for me. I had the same problem with touching them together manually and only working for a second or so. I also was getting a reading of 12 volts from every pin before I figured this out
                  linux mp3/dvd/cd player
                  My Player Software - DFBCar

Comment

Nutzy well I tried hooking 19 and 20 to a ground and in the process there was a spark and now I'm sure it doesn't work :0)
                    But its a good because I phoned MPJA and theuy are sending me a new one tommorow.
                    Sweet, Eh?
                    So hopefully the new one will work good and simple.
                    Thanks for the replys

Machs_FueL

Comment

Working...
                    X