Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini-ITX vs. Micro-ATX question?

Hello Mini-ITX pros.
    Can you tell me if a Mini-ITX board can be mounted in a Micro-ATX case?
    The reason I am asking is I need to know if the Micro-ATX case I have can be used for Mini-ITX applications.

If there are major differences, what are they? Are the mounting hole locations different?

TIA

yes it can. The common micro-ATX boards have one AGP and three PCI slots as well as some other differences. The mounting hole patern is the same on the mini-ITX just not as many as on the micro-ATX.
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

Comment

Yeah, I've looked this up before. The two use the same mounting holes. The only thing that I'm not sure about is which is bigger. But the smaller board will fit in the larger case.
      http://www.arizonasportcompacts.com

Comment

Thanks, guys.
        That's what I thought, just wanted to verify with knowlegeable people.

Micro-ATX is bigger.
        I am not worried about the expansion cards, just the mounting hole pattern and the connector plate location. Nice to know it will work for Mini-ITX.

Comment

why would you want to spend the extra for the motherboard if you aren't going to make a very small computer, microatx stuff can be really cheap. I don't see the point in spending a lot on the motherboard when you don't have to

Comment

Originally posted by forum
            why would you want to spend the extra for the motherboard if you aren't going to make a very small computer, microatx stuff can be really cheap. I don't see the point in spending a lot on the motherboard when you don't have to
            I am not. All of my stuff is Micro-ATX. I wanted to see if it was Mini-ITX compatible.

Comment

Ok, reviving a thread from the dead . Is it still true that a mini-itx board's mounting holes will work in a micro-atx case?

Sounds pointless, right? I want to switch to Mini-ITX for the reduced heat and power requirements, not the size. I still want my PCI video card and sound card to fit in the case. Oh- and I can't see spending over $150 for a tiny case with two pci slots when I can get a micro atx case that will do the trick much cheaper. Has anyone done this who can confirm that the mb holes will line up?
              My car PC page, with pictures

Comment

which Mini-ITX motherboard are you looking to get? Most of the ones I've seen only have 1 PCI slot, so I'm wondering how you're going to be able to use both a PCI video card and a PCI sound card.
                2004 Mazda3 Carputer Worklog - Update 5/17/11: Carputer 2.0 Hardware Selection

Comment

Working...
                X