how to change shell back

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to change shell back

i changed the windows shell to mediacar.exe like someone here suggested. well now all i get is my is my background. mediacar does not execute. how do i change this back.
    • DS700YYV
    • Opus 150
    • XP Pro
    • Nehemia 10000
    • Indash Housing

Originally posted by LudeAtude
    i changed the windows shell to mediacar.exe like someone here suggested. well now all i get is my is my background. mediacar does not execute. how do i change this back.
    Boot to safe mode and undo what you did maybe...?

Chris.

Comment

i dont remember how to boot to safe mode
      • DS700YYV
      • Opus 150
      • XP Pro
      • Nehemia 10000
      • Indash Housing

Comment

Originally posted by LudeAtude
        i dont remember how to boot to safe mode
        I think you hit F8 before the XP logo while still in DOS. If it's not F8 its one of the other function keys.
        99 VW GTI VR6 SC
        -The GTI-PC-

Comment

Depending on your configuration, you should also be able hit ctrl+alt+delete in windows to get into task manager. From there, using the run function, execute regedit or whatever program you used to change the shell in the first place.

(If you use regedit, I think the key is something like "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon." If not, I would search for "mediacar.exe" to find it.)

Comment

evilsociologist is correct. That question was answered here:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...t=explorer.exe

A simple search.
            7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
            ATVMS.com

Comment

he can't get into regedit to make that change if he can't get into safe mode.. so first boot into safe mode and then take out the mediaengine.exe reference in your boot.ini file.

Comment

I believe if you hold down the shift key right when the computer starts, it will start up in safe mode. (just like a stupid Mac ) Or just hit F8.

Comment

sorry for the slow reply. i did fix the problem. i booted into safe mode with command prompts and typed regedit to change it back. thanks
                  • DS700YYV
                  • Opus 150
                  • XP Pro
                  • Nehemia 10000
                  • Indash Housing

Comment

Working...
                  X