Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

xbox in car questions... new to the forums also, so dont flame me to hard :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xbox in car questions... new to the forums also, so dont flame me to hard :)

OK, so me and a buddy have been wanting to put x-box's in out audi's for some time now, ive been reading your forums and others for ideas on how to do this and it seems easy enuff. So now heres the question for you all..... i know you can use the xbox as a pc, so can you also use it to network 2 xboxes in differnt cars parked next to each other?? and can you use it for GPS??

the reason i ask about having 2 cars next to eachother is for when we go to car shows, my buddy has this idea of playing games in his car and me being not to far away playing in my car..... to me it seems kinda odd, but at the same time, it could be cool to do this or to pull up to the house and dl my music off my computer

as for the GPS, thats somthing i want to do, but not nessasary

anyways, hope you all can help or give me ideas on where else to look

thanks in advanced

You should do search on xbox mods first or check out the hundreds of xbox mod sites out there Your only limited to what linux and your usb ports/ network card can do also if your worried about being flamed the mods created a nice little newbie section for non-flamable type requests

Comment

xbox modding and car install...

I am planning on doing basically the same thing, besides the whole connecting between two cars idea. As far as the install goes, I have seen it done and the modification's for the xbox are incredible. My friend has his all modded out, and he designed his own userinterface that makes it better for in-car use and he put two 120gig HD's in it as well so he has an endless supply of games, videos, and basically anything that goes on a computer can go in his in-car xbox. The other thing thats cool is that he's running linux, and thats how he can utilize his files... I know that he also has a 802.11 LAN in his house and his xbox has a wireless card, so when he parks at his house he can not only transfer files between any pc on his LAN but he can also go online with it... As far as GPS, I didn't ask him about that, but I know he has it.. I just don't know if it's with his xbox. I have been talking with him recently about doing the install in my car... and I have been recently researching the xbox mods, and theres some impressive stuff out there. Let me know if you find out any other information for me. I wanna know al there is to about modding and installing the in-car xbox!
      ~Lata!

Comment

right on, right on. i will keep you updated on what i find, i know people put in new hard drives, but 2?? wow, i didnt think there was space for it in the xbox, let me know if you get more how to info on your buddys system. Im right now buying all my parts for my install... going to keep the factory bose system for my audi and switch between radio and xbox

Comment

I'd like to do this too... did you guys have to hardwire usb ports onto the xbox, or did you just buy some adapters for the controller ports? Also, how will you hook it to the lcd screen, since xbox doesn't have vga out...

Comment

Originally posted by snoopdoug1
            I'd like to do this too... did you guys have to hardwire usb ports onto the xbox, or did you just buy some adapters for the controller ports? Also, how will you hook it to the lcd screen, since xbox doesn't have vga out...
            You can get VGA adaptors for the XBox. www.xbox-scene.com is a good starting point. It's a bit of a clique though, being able to find stuff by yourself is expected by most people. I can help a little if needed, I chipped by XBox and upgraded the (single) hard disk.

Comment

Why would you want a VGA screen? Most people have a minimum of composite input for there car PC, ideal for the Xbox. You would only want VGA if you were connectiong a PC to the screen.

As for HD's you can put a 300GB maxtor in and it works perfectly. (i know I have one).

What you need to be able to do is remotely boot the xbox, control it and power it.

So you can hardwire a push button switch across the small power button, or you can fit a IR remote control receiver, but this has to be line of sight or have an IR link of some sorts. I have the hardwire trick across the power button as a mod.

Wireless controls are great (again I have 2) the Logitech and the Logic X (smaller).

You will need an inverter to power the Xbox as well, I think it has about a 97W PSU but I could be wrong, so your inverter needs to be about 150W minimum. Again you should think about how you are going to switch the inverter on and off.

When I finally get round to adding an Xbox, these are the things that I'm going to be doing.

Craig
              Audi S8 supercar
              Modded Xbox 400GB HD
              Rear 7" screen & navplus

Toyota Hiace Van
              Shuttle PIII 866 256Mb 10GB OPUS powered
              MediaCar & Mappoint 2004
              Custom fit 7" TFT VGA TSK

Comment

"Why would you want a VGA screen? Most people have a minimum of composite input for there car PC, ideal for the Xbox. You would only want VGA if you were connectiong a PC to the screen."

Because, when using xbox-linux, you are using an operating system designed for VGA... when running linux on it, you are essentially using a pc. When using a VGA box for the xbox, it is really using the HDTV features and converting them to VGA, getting you that higher resolution...

NOW, if using some of the specific software for xbox (xbox media center/player ... etc), then composite would be just fine and dandy.

Comment

you could use wireless network adapters that plug into the eithernet port and set up as ad hoc to play with you buddy in seperate cars
                  2002 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4DR
                  Aleroputer 90% done (ripped out and being rewired)
                  MYMODS:
                  Pioneer Head unit in a remote location, Clarion Amp, XM Satilite Radio, 2 10" Audiobahn DVC Subs wired 1 ohm in a bandpass box, Grill Mesh, Halo Guages

Comment

From the project description, I can't see these guys wanting to go VGA, but I wasn't aware of the HDTV function, so thanks for that.

Craig
                    Audi S8 supercar
                    Modded Xbox 400GB HD
                    Rear 7" screen & navplus

Toyota Hiace Van
                    Shuttle PIII 866 256Mb 10GB OPUS powered
                    MediaCar & Mappoint 2004
                    Custom fit 7" TFT VGA TSK

Comment

Yeah, i would assume a lot of these people are thinking about using linux... no?

Comment

Linux eventually on my xbox

Am I right in saying that you can't link two seperate xbox's with wireless ethernet adapters without a LAN, correct?... Therefore putting them into seperate cars with those adapters would be useless at a car show, unless the car show has a LAN! LOL Good luck with that... Why not just run a cord between the two, which would eleminate the need for anything else...

I will eventually be loading Linux onto my xbox, but not until I have it on my regular (I use the word regular loosely ) PC. Since I am a die hard Windows XP fan... I want to explore Linux, since I have never even seen it in action. My friend says that he has it on his xbox and its nice to have in the car. When I saw his install he didn't have Linux installed yet. Also I found out today that xbox will be going down in price around May of this year. It's expected to go down to about 150 in stores... So I am going to wait for the sale... If anyone knows of some forums or links to good xbox MOD's let me know... AIM name: juscallmefresh or thru here...
                        ~Peace

P.S. Here's a website how to on the VGA cable mod...
                        xbox scene tutorial

Comment

Has anyone tested one of those VGA converters? I've only heard bad things about them in the past.
                          http://www.arizonasportcompacts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cherub211
                            Has anyone tested one of those VGA converters? I've only heard bad things about them in the past.
                            I have the x2VGA (check x2vga.com). Works great for linux, games, etc. HOWEVER it does not do 480i video well. I believe this is a common trait for the VGA converters. This only impacts you when you want to use the xbox dash, so I could care less. For some reason the xbox dash will only display in 480i. There are some old games that also only do 480i, but I'd never even heard of them.

People who use xbox live alot or want to use the original xbox dash for music might find it annoying. I use the avalaunch dash, which looks great!

Comment

hi,

im installing an xbox1(original xbox) in my car and im having trouble relocating the dvd drive to a more convient location. I spoke with others that said and have had success using a 36 inch IDE cable and switching the hardrive and dvd drive on the IDE cable.

thus, HD is now in the slave location, and dvd drive is at the end of the IDE cable where the HD use to be, master location.

but THATS NOT WORKING FOR ME?

Q1: can anyone help me? has anyone done this?
                              Q2: do i need to switch jumpers on hd from Cable select to master?
                              Q3: Or is the only way they have been able to switch them is because they have the xbox modded and it allows for that? the chips they install that is?
                              -Jason.

Comment

Working...
                              X