Got my new TINY PC from Tigerdirect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my new TINY PC from Tigerdirect

Yeah, it was pricey, but not bad for a Celeron 1.3/128 megs of ram DVD-ROM drive, Windows XP Home, IR port, USB, Modem/LAN, built in speaker. But it is SMALLER than a CD-ROM drive for desktop computer!

Canadian site:
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...6&sku=N52-1043

U.S. Site:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6&sku=N52-1043

have you got it running yet?
    Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
    Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

almost

Originally posted by brrman
      have you got it running yet?
      I have my 7 inch touchscreen lcd, I just got the parcel today. I only plugged it in and did the Windows Update. I will start installing all the GPS software tonight/movie players/dumping mp3's...going crazy.

I also have to buy a laptop lock for it so if someone breaks in the car at least they won't get the PC without MUCH effort.

I'll be sure to post a review for it, it is SO SMALL...crazy!

Comment

you're gonna buy a USB soundcard, right?
        Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
        Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
        I'M DEBT FREE!!
        I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Maybe

Originally posted by wizardPC
          you're gonna buy a USB soundcard, right?
          Perhaps, but I test out the onboard sound first...if it is fine I'll just stick with that.

Comment

its not gonna be fine, from what I hear.

we thought those coffee-related PC's (cappucino, espresso, etc) were god's gift to mp3car.com. then someone got one and they basically sold it 2 months later because it was so crappy
            Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
            Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
            I'M DEBT FREE!!
            I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

So far so good

Originally posted by wizardPC
              its not gonna be fine, from what I hear.

we thought those coffee-related PC's (cappucino, espresso, etc) were god's gift to mp3car.com. then someone got one and they basically sold it 2 months later because it was so crappy
              Well, so far I put Microsoft Mappoint on it and the speed is decent for searching for addresses.

I'll post a full review once I get it up and running with the AGPS plugin and in the car.

Comment

Congradulations for sucessfully ordering something from Tigerdirect! I'm amazed that you not only receved the item, but that it works too.

I hope your system works out
                A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
                http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

Does it have a normal VGA out? The specs only list RCA and S-Video.
                  So far:
                  M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Love my coffee PC

Originally posted by tom2112
                    Does it have a normal VGA out? The specs only list RCA and S-Video.
                    I have had ZERO problems with Tigerdirect, I have ordered about 6 things in the last year from them and all orders arrived within 4 business days (when it was in stock).

Yes it has a normal VGA out, it's great so far. The built in speaker is really quiet tough so I'll have to hook it up to the car stereo, it's fine for a desk but in a noisy car...I doubt you will even hear it.

Now I've got the problem of the power button...if I am putting this under the seat of the car, how the devil do I turn it on? Anyone?

Comment

I had an espresso PC. That thing was pretty cool, size of a PDA. never had a problem with it. I sold it though because it was only 600mhz,kindof slow. Anyway I sell a similar computer on my site, the ez-go. It is a nice setup to, well good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by yuprules
                        Well, so far I put Microsoft Mappoint on it and the speed is decent for searching for addresses.

I'll post a full review once I get it up and running with the AGPS plugin and in the car.
                        So how do you like that AGPS add on? I have mappoint and have heard some good things about it. Not sure where to find it or its cost, but i might have to give it a shot.

Comment

Mappoint and AGPS

Originally posted by pogue1000
                          So how do you like that AGPS add on? I have mappoint and have heard some good things about it. Not sure where to find it or its cost, but i might have to give it a shot.
                          AGPS rocks, I have used it to travel quite a bit and the maker of AGPS updates it often enough (last update was January). It has only failed me once because I did a new install of AGPS and didn't set all the settings BEFORE I started my trip, so I had to pull over and setup AGPS properly. I just wish I could change that Microsoft Mary voice to something better. she sounds awful when telling me turns...he he. It is only $10 USD for AGPS, you can even try it for free http://www.techgt.com/agps/

However, the cost of Microsoft Mappoint is a little high, I found it the cheapest at BUY.com for $252.99 with free shipping (use the search box on the left to search "mappoint 2004", don't buy the upgrade unless you have the older version).

Comment

Originally posted by yuprules
                            I just wish I could change that Microsoft Mary voice to something better. she sounds awful when telling me turns...he he.
                            I thought that AGPS just uses .wav files for the voice nav. Can't you just change out those files with some that you record yourself (or get a hot sounding chick to record some for you )

Comment

Nope

Originally posted by Bobby Digital
                              I thought that AGPS just uses .wav files for the voice nav. Can't you just change out those files with some that you record yourself (or get a hot sounding chick to record some for you )
                              Nope, it uses Microsoft Speech technology to sound out street names and turns.

Comment

Working...
                              X