soundcard/minijack question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soundcard/minijack question

so i just got an M-audio Sonica theater card, and it does up to 7.1 surround sound through 4 mini-jacks (1/8"). My question (one which may pertain to people using onboard 5.1 sound too) is in regards to the center/sub line. I am going to be running 4.1 surround, with the 4 channels going to FR, FL, RR, RL and the sub line going to my amp in the trunk.

When i plug a mini-jack into the center/sub line, how do i know which one is going to put out the sub line?

Im assuming there is a difference between center out and sub out Also, my sub line would be a mono out (1 RCA plug), but my current amplifier (though it is a mono amp) takes 2 rca inputs. should i just split the mono line out into stereo sound at the soundcard and run stereo wires back there to the amp?

For those curious i am running a cadence A7+HC amp with a JL 12W6v2.

Thanks for the input.
    Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

bump

anyone? any tips?

Comment

I think the "Left" channel output from that connector would be the sub output and the "Right" channel output is the center.
      Your amp may be able to accept just 1 channel. I would Y-split it just in case.

I have not done the above mentioned setup, so it's only theory.

Comment

for the mono signal - yeah just split it and send it to the 2 rca's on your amp. I assume you are bridging your amp?

Can't help you with the sonica problem though, sorry
        Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
        Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

Sorry but this has to be said, RTFM!

The manual for the sound card should say what signal is carried on each left/right channel for each minijack.

Comment

Thank you everybody

Bobby,
            I did read the manual, but apparently missed the one sentance i needed "the white RCA is the first channel listed, Red is the second."

I appreciated your hesitance in throwing the RTFM out there, but it was just what i needed

As for the amp, upon poking my head in my trunk for the first time in a while, my amp is a stero amp, so i guess i can jsut split the mono RCA into a stereo cable carriing the same channel on both lines. I hope it doenst sound worse

We will see, its a pretty nice/smart amplifier, so im sure it will be okay. I am not sure if i need to/want to bridge it, since it already is too powerful for my sub and my gain cant be set higher than 1/4 of the way up. Should i bridge it if i am using a mono channel in?

Comment

Originally posted by jusatry
              so i just got an M-audio Sonica theater card, and it does up to 7.1 surround sound through 4 mini-jacks (1/8"). My question (one which may pertain to people using onboard 5.1 sound too) is in regards to the center/sub line. I am going to be running 4.1 surround, with the 4 channels going to FR, FL, RR, RL and the sub line going to my amp in the trunk.

When i plug a mini-jack into the center/sub line, how do i know which one is going to put out the sub line?

Im assuming there is a difference between center out and sub out Also, my sub line would be a mono out (1 RCA plug), but my current amplifier (though it is a mono amp) takes 2 rca inputs. should i just split the mono line out into stereo sound at the soundcard and run stereo wires back there to the amp?

For those curious i am running a cadence A7+HC amp with a JL 12W6v2.

Thanks for the input.

Nice amp choice. That amp can handle alot more than that sub, a little FYI

I was sponsered by cadence in my 2000 celica, back in 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by neutral
                Nice amp choice. That amp can handle alot more than that sub, a little FYI

I was sponsered by cadence in my 2000 celica, back in 2000.

Thanks!

I bought it from a friend back when i was using a 10W7 (which i am now selling becuase the JL slot ported box is HUGE and i drive a litle A4, but i dont have the rescources to build a box out of 1" MDF wood.....I figure one day i may get a second 12W6v2 and build a fiberglass enclosure for both of them

And i will have an amp to handle both of them!

Comment

Working...
                X