X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock protection for your 3.5" HDD for $17

Check it out:
    http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...sp?T1=161+0414

It fits in a 5.25" drive slot, and holds a 3.5" drive suspended by rubber blocks. I bought one, and it is heavy, but the chromed steel looks snazzy!
    So far:
    M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Originally posted by tom2112
    Check it out:
    http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...sp?T1=161+0414

It fits in a 5.25" drive slot, and holds a 3.5" drive suspended by rubber blocks. I bought one, and it is heavy, but the chromed steel looks snazzy!
    keep us posted and let us know how it works!
    Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

thats pretty neat, i guess that woudl help. But is a harddrive dying because of shock a big problem with a car pc?

Comment

Originally posted by NovaKane
        thats pretty neat, i guess that woudl help. But is a harddrive dying because of shock a big problem with a car pc?
        It can be but it isn't as big as a problem as some people make it out to be. Normally, as long as you don't go around intentionally finding potholes to drive through you should be fine.

Comment

Ditto on what Kami said. A couple people have had nasty drive failures - most don't have any problem - and that's without doing anything special.

The cheapest and best protection for your hard drive is to mount it standing on it's side. This allows any vertical shock (like hitting a pothole) to "shake" the drive heads up and down, but keeps those same heads from impacting the platters, causing scratches and data loss. If you mount the drive normally, the heads would "shake" and hit the platters - which is bad.

Also you should mount the drive to something solid. By that I mean that whatever it is mounted to should not be able to "wiggle" back and forth - that's called occilation and is really bad. That doesn't mean that you need to weld it to the frame of the car, just don't mount it to a thin plastic panel.

That seems to contradict the idea of the device I suggested in the first post. But keep in mind that the rubber will "wiggle" but it won't occilate or allow any harmonic vibrations to occur. It will absorb that stuff.

The firmer the mount, the more shock the drive will get. The more flexible the mount, the more occilation the drive will get. So you have to balance those factors out.
          So far:
          M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Obviously kami never drove around New England in the spring.

A 24 x 6 ft section of 84 opened up the other day. Now that's a pothole.
            Aku, Soku, Zan.
            Epia M10000 Nehemiah
            Lilliput
            ITPS Power Sequencer

Comment

Originally posted by saito

I lived North of Boston (near Lawerence) for 3years and in Utah for a long time too

24x6ft??? Freaking ridiculus, now I remember why I hate driving up there.

Comment

Originally posted by saito

I second that... when you see cars getting stuck in pot holes you know your in NE. Two tires and two rims later (that was this winter) still no problems with HD.....

Comment

I've driven on washboard-like dirt roads without any problems so far. Man, I don't like diving on those roads without a computer, I figured my computer would crash instantly... nope, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'
                  http://www.arizonasportcompacts.com

Comment

Definitely mount it vertically. Hard drives are like nitroglycerin. You could bump it and nothing happens. The next you bump the drive it explodes in your face... or maybe not. They are the most precise piece of machinery most people own today.

Comment

Why mount it vertically? does this help?
                      http://www.ridemods.com/secondsig.jpg

Comment

"The cheapest and best protection for your hard drive is to mount it standing on it's side. This allows any vertical shock (like hitting a pothole) to "shake" the drive heads up and down, but keeps those same heads from impacting the platters, causing scratches and data loss. If you mount the drive normally, the heads would "shake" and hit the platters - which is bad".

I am planning to mount my Gateway desktop sideways on top of a couple of pads of foam in a "slot" so the entire pc can move up and down. Good idea?
                        AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
                        "A great smoking alternative"

Comment

erm hrm and back to the origional topic of this post:
                          That thing looks like the hole on the top was purposly made for a cooling fan :-)
                          Sorry guys couldn't read the text that was way over the right of the screen.
                          CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                          Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

Originally posted by tom2112

Also you should mount the drive to something solid. By that I mean that whatever it is mounted to should not be able to "wiggle" back and forth - that's called occilation and is really bad. That doesn't mean that you need to weld it to the frame of the car, just don't mount it to a thin plastic panel.

That seems to contradict the idea of the device I suggested in the first post. But keep in mind that the rubber will "wiggle" but it won't occilate or allow any harmonic vibrations to occur. It will absorb that stuff.

The firmer the mount, the more shock the drive will get. The more flexible the mount, the more occilation the drive will get. So you have to balance those factors out.

That is a very good well said bit of advice. Never mind "dampening" the shock, bolt it solidly to the chassis of the car somewhere. anything else just causes more vibration than before.
                            I had a 10gig drive bolted firmly to the boot floor (lying flat on its back mind you! Not standing up!) for years, and never had a problem.
                            A screw came loose and it moved a bit, was gonna get around to fixing it, then "pop!" too late, she was stuffed!
                            Ford XR6T blueprint 4.0 L twin cam turbo.
                            Xenarc 7" touchscreen M10000 Audigy 2 NX
                            ITX 120W PS 80gig HD, 256MB Ram, USB wireless internet/LAN
                            Griffin Powermate Panasonic DVD-CDW
                            Pioneer 5x7 Four way, 2x12 pioneer subz
                            600watt 6chan USA audio AMP

Comment

Golly, why buy some "protection" for 17 bones when you can go solid state?

http://www.superssd.com/products/ramsan-320/index.htm

One of those babies can't possibly be more than 17... th-thousand.

Comment

Working...
                              X