Ground Loop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground Loop

I just installed an amp in my Jeep, and I've got a really nasty ground loop noise when using the computer (when using a portable CD Player, there's no noise at all.... characteristic of a ground loop). I wired the grounds for the amp and the inverter to a single chassis point, and I ended up shortening the chassis ground connection to about 4 inches, but it didn't even change in intensity, much less go away.

I'm guessing it's from the inverter, but is there any way to get rid of it? I figure someone has had this problem before (can't seem to find anything in a search)

I'd like to avoid using a ground loop isolater if possible, but I know I'm going to keep the inverter setup, so that might be the only solution.

What am I missing?
    '99 Jeep XJ - 4" Lift/35's - 15"/Shuttle

Try grounding the black wire on your power supply's device connectors.

Comment

Put a wire from the AC power supply casing to the same ground point.

Garry
      Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
      www.aimee.cc

Comment

Gouda idea.... I know it's the computer's funky ground causing it... if you disconnect the signal's ground from the computer, most of the hum goes away. I'll try that and see what happens.

Comment

Grounded the PSU to the chassis and disconnected the signal ground and it completely removed the ground loop. There's a very faint volume dependant hum that I'm guessing is ripple from the inverter, but it's definately liveable.

Just so I know, why does the signal ground have to be disconnected? Is that the norm?

Comment

Working...
          X