Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talk me out of the Archos AV320, please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk me out of the Archos AV320, please!

I'm considering punting the carputer idea and purchasing an Archos AV320 or AV340 because I can't fit a Travla C134 case into my glove compartment or armrest. The C134 barely fits into the storage compartment in my 4Runner's cargo bay, and won't do so without extra vent holes (since it would have to be mounted in such a way that the standard vent holes would be covered). I'm bummed because I spent a lot of time researching this, but didn't actually model it until today (using cardboard cut to the dimensions of a C134).

I actually purchased an AV320 back in January, but returned it because I couldn't think of a way to turn it into a carputer that I could safely leave in the car. And because Archos didn't even offer a case until recently, it wasn't practical to consider transporting to and from the office/house every time I left the car.

I thought of mounting it in the glove compartment (locking it when I left the car) and using the available wired remote (which has a text-only screen that allows you to navigate songs and playlists). However, the wired remote connects to the AV320's AV out jack (bummer if you're running it to your head unit and a rear seat LCD). The Archos folks couldn't tell me whether it would work if I only connected the mini centronics cable and left the AV jack plugged into my head unit/screen, so I assumed I couldn't use it. Then I considered using the IR remote that comes with the AV320 (with the unit mounted in the glove compartment, and connected to a front seat LCD), but couldn't find a suitable IR repeater. So I returned it without even opening the box.

But maybe I was too hasty. I've seen a couple of posts that suggest that I can extend the remote sensor. The AV320 isn't nearly as extensible as a carputer, but I won't have to remove my seats in order to install it either.

Any thoughts? I'd love to be talked out of this idea since it will limit me to MP3 and MPEG (no GPS nav or any other Windows-based functionality).

Darryl R.

Oh, and before someone suggests just mounting the case in my cargo bay, let me say that I considered it, but I'd like to hide the unit away (out of sight (of thieves), out of mind). If I mount a car pc in my 4Runner's cargo bay it's more likely to be a) stolen or b) broken by something I'm hauling. Under a seat seems to be my only option.

Darryl R.

Comment

DON'T DO IT !

I only support REAL installations
      [H]4 Life
      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
      I'm a lesbian too.
      I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by DarrylR
        Oh, and before someone suggests just mounting the case in my cargo bay, let me say that I considered it, but I'd like to hide the unit away (out of sight (of thieves), out of mind). If I mount a car pc in my 4Runner's cargo bay it's more likely to be a) stolen or b) broken by something I'm hauling. Under a seat seems to be my only option.

Darryl R.

Two words:
        Ceiling mount!
        So far:
        M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Originally posted by tom2112
          Two words:
          Ceiling mount!
          Good idea, and I'll definitely consider it. However, I've got to work around the sunroof and a center console with map lights, homelink, etc.

Comment

Who needs a case? I installed mine with no case whatsoever. Have a look:

www.bradleyjacobs.com
            www.bradleyjacobs.com

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by blurp
              Who needs a case? I installed mine with no case whatsoever. Have a look:

www.bradleyjacobs.com
              Thanks for the reply. Great installation!

Comment

Working...
              X