No announcement yet.

PSU Opus Substitutes?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSU Opus Substitutes?

Is there anything comparable to the amazing Opus 150watt thats 200.00 dollars!? All i read is that Opus PSU is the only way to go. However the only listed price I can find is 199.99 Thats just insain for a PSU.

Im looking for something that can handle:
    Epia m10000
    two 3.5 7200 rpm hard drives
    1 dvd/cdrw standard drive
    PCI audigy 2 sound card
    USB radio d-link
    and one extra usable USB capable outlet

I want it to be powered while by a sperate switch whether the car is of or on. and survive cranking flawlessly.

please... Any suggestions?

there are cheaper alternatives, but nothing that will compare to the Opus. Save up what you would spend on the cheaper setup and wait a while longer, you'll be much happier, (and you also wont have to purchase it all twice!). It cost a lot because it is not produced in the volumes that ATX power supplies are, and it also fits a niche in the market that nobody else can touch. Why sell too cheap when there is no competition.
      2005 Ford Focus ST

• #4 $79 dollars direct from Arise. Up to 120 watts.

Originally posted by none
 $79 dollars direct from Arise. Up to 120 watts.

Will this unit stay powered with the ignition off? Will this be effected by cranking?

Originally posted by c0rrupti0n
            Will this unit stay powered with the ignition off?
            Yes if hooked up correctly. May need a shutdown controller based on your preferences.
            Originally posted by c0rrupti0n
            Will this be effected by cranking?
            Jury is still out.

I didn't carefully read your requirements. You may be better off with an Opus if you want flawless out of the box. Buy direct from the manufacturer.

my radio power cuts when cranking, so my former statements are not valid indications that the Arise cannot survive crank. It certainly works with the car off (duh), and i had it + laptop HDD + DVD slimline drive + M-audio sonica sound card + EPIA M9000 + TSK running for a solid 4 hours while transfering files over ethernet, no problems. Car was idling, but the PSU didnt sweat.

Will continue to update when i re-run power with correct gauge wire. So far i think i am drawing under 10 amps (1.8 on DVD, 1.0 on HDD, (1 or 2 on M9000), lets say 1 more misc). Thats 5.8 and the arise runs 70% efficient @ rated load. thats about 8 amps at the terminals, right? My radio line can handle that i think. I hope. For now....
              Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Damn... Opus is the only way out it seems...

Powering 2 7200 RPM drive then yes, Opus is the only way. powering a single high capacity 5400 RPM, That arise PSU should work. But then if you add a shut down controller and a tank circuit the cost will probably exceed the price of an Opus. so save your money and do it right the first time.
                  NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
                  If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Thanks for the input cproaudio. BTW nice setup...

even if you need a shutdown controller and a battery for a tank curcuit (still not sure about that one), you still come in well under the cost of a 90 watt opus with the capability for up to 120 watts (with a fan) if you use the Arise PSU. Of course, if arise survives crank, then cut the battery out of there and all you need is the PSU ($79) and the shutdown controller ($30). Thats $109, coming in well under the 90 watt opus, which was (a hard to get) $160 last i checked....
                      Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!