Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any alternatives to the ATI All-in-Wonder VE??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any alternatives to the ATI All-in-Wonder VE??

I'm looking for a PCI video card with integrated TV tuner. I want something very much like the ATI All-in-Wonder VE, which is a Radeon 7500 with TV tuner.

But there's one problem: I hate ATI video cards! I really want one with a GeForce chipset. There a several out there, but none that are PCI, they're all AGP. I've only found one card: ProLink PixelView All-in-Combo TV 256 PCI but I can't find one for sale, and I can't find out if it has drivers for WinXP or not.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

TIA,
    Tom
    So far:
    M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

If you've searched and not found what you're looking for, then chances are it doesn't exist. I would suggest that if you really want the GeForce then you should get the GeForce and also get a TV capture card. The two components don't have to be on the same device. If you're out of slots, they make USB TV capture devices.

http://www.hauppauge.com/html/wintv_pci_datasheet.htm
    http://www.hauppauge.com/html/usb_data.htm

Comment

True, true. I could go the combo route: one card, one USB. I'll keep that as a last resort. I was just hoping someone here knew of an all-in-one solution. There's some pretty resourceful people in here!
      So far:
      M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

Nope, ATI has the market cornered in that regard.

Comment

That's what I was afraid of. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and buy the ATI.
          So far:

Comment

Why don't you like them? Bad experience in the old days?

Comment

Question. Do you also hate AMD and XBOX, and like Intel and PS2?

Comment

Here ya go, I googled this one for ya. Geforce witha tv tuner.
                http://www.xpcgear.com/asgefx52hoth.html
                I dont know why you dont want the radeon. It is rather pricey but they are well worth it, if you game. If not go cheap, it doesnt matter.

Comment

Why would you want to put a geforce in an M10000 board anyways? Are you going to be gaming on it? You could just get a PCI TV/FM tuner card.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHunter
                    Here ya go, I googled this one for ya. Geforce witha tv tuner.
                    http://www.xpcgear.com/asgefx52hoth.html
                    I dont know why you dont want the radeon. It is rather pricey but they are well worth it, if you game. If not go cheap, it doesnt matter.
                    He wants PCI

Comment

Thanks guys.

To answer some of the questions:

Why I hate ATI?
                      Bad experiences in the past. And I've noticed that they haven't changed. What do I mean? Well, ATI makes good hardware - no doubt about that. But their drivers are a huge pain in the a$$. That is if you can even find the right driver. I just don't think you should have to tear your PC apart to see what chip and board revision you have to be able to find the right driver. It really smokes me off. And why doesn't a major company like ATI create a unified driver? Hello!?!?

Also about their drivers: in the past they were really bad - programming wise - I haven't had one or had to support one for a couple years, so I can't say how they are now. They would crash your system, fight with other software, and load all kinds of "desktop management" programs (crap) along with the drivers. Because of all of the problems, they would come out with new versions of the drivers more frequently than most people change sheets. Combine that with the fact you can't find the correct drivers for your card on their site without pulling teeth - especially if you don't have the latest-greatest brand-spanking new card. Those drivers are easy to find. Try to find drivers for a card that's over a year old.

Why do I want to put a GeForce in an M10000 that has built in VGA?
                      Because I've never had a single problem with GeForce based cards. Already I've had problems with the CLE266 graphics in combination with my Lilliput screen. People here on the forum report that the GeForce cards are much friendlier to the Lilliput screens. I'm hoping that they're right.

Why do I want a combo GeForce TV tuner? Because I only have one PCI slot, and I rather not have a USB TV Tuner.

Do I hate AMD and Xbox?
                      No. Why would I? In fact, I'm very pro-AMD. In fact, I have never bought an Intel CPU, and I've bought a lot of CPU's.
                      Xbox? I could give or take it. I don't have one. I don't have a PS1 or 2 either. I never found a need for one, as long as I had a good gaming PC.

Hunter: thanks for the Google efforts. For a sec you had me going. I almost cried when I saw that GeForce FX5200 with TV tuner - until I realized it was AGP. Oops.

Later,
                      Tom
                      So far:

Comment

I would give ATI a shot. The drivers are much much better, more stable and no conflicts, than in the early Rage/MAXX days.

I don't know what you are talking about them not having unified drivers, they have the Catalyst drivers now, works on Radeon up, even my original 64DDR which is what, 4years old now?

Comment

Cool. I didn't know about the Catalyst drivers. I saw something about it on their site but I was looking for the 7500 VE drivers, just to see if I could find them. I couldn't. That's probably why!! Duh!
                          So far:

Comment

OK. NEW QUESTION:
                            Anyone out there using an M10000 Nehemiah with an ATI All-In-Wonder VE (PCI) AND a Lilliput??

Any problems? Does the Lilliput have issues with the ATI card? Does the ATI card do 848x480?

TIA,
                            Tom
                            So far:

Comment

Working...
                            X