Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I have to 'break'?

Dear all, yes another newbie....

I've got quite a lot of electrical / computing knowledge, however, my knowledge of car electronics is limited, so watch me make a complete fool of myself.

Ok, so I'm planning on putting a carputer in my girlfiends brand new Jeep Liberty.

If I put in a system that is neat and tidy, and gives her a vast number of MP3s and GPS navigation to stop her from getting lost, then all would be well. However, if in the process I trash her car, including screwing up electronics and stuff then I'm going to be ... well, in trouble.

So, it would appear that the OPUS power suply is the way to go with automatic power on and automatic standby. I'm planning on putting the comp. in the rear (trunk / boot). So, the questions are:

- what wires do I have to cut / splice to get this to work?
    - what is the recommended way of joining these wires?
    - what grade wire do I need (presuming 50 Amp wire)?
    - how about fuses?
    - Anyone with specific knowledge of the Jeep Liberty?

Thanks

Andrew
    06 Volvo XC90
    Use to have installed MII 10000/512Mb/40GB, Lilliput 7", OPUS 90W, Wifi-G PCMCIA, Head Unit Aux adapter, Delorme GPS, XM PCR, Audigy NX, RR
    Car PC downloads: http://carpc.harteveldt.com/

I'd say don't do it.
    If you're gonna do it, trash your own car first and make it work with your car, then once you've gained that knowledge and experience, you may or may not want to add a carputer to your girlfriends new car.

Comment

you dont realy need to CUT any wires...

find a assesory line.. (the one used in the CD player is probly assesory line) and then conected it to the battory
      Pete Kastner www.KastNERD.com

Comment

First of all like they said don't cut wires. Ive nearly completed my setup without having to cut my cars factory harnesses at all. Secondly... Don't do it. We love our car computers, because we know how they work. We know all the little ins and outs of them. When they break or don't function as expected we know why. Or atleast can figure it out with a little help.

What your girlfriend needs is an end user package. She will pay alot of money for it but that money is for R&D, reliability and support. Take it from someone that works in Support it will be nothing but headachs to put one of these systems in someones car that has limited computer knowledge.

-Dustin

Comment

Ok, thanks guys for the advice. I should have made it a bit clearer that I also driver the car, even though it is hers.

Athough I am some what happier that I don't have to cut into any wires!

Can anyone direct me towards a website that may have wiring diagrams for cars / jeep liberty?

Also, you talk about the accessory power line? Would this be the one that would normally connect to a CD Changer etc?

Thanks

Andrew
          06 Volvo XC90
          Use to have installed MII 10000/512Mb/40GB, Lilliput 7", OPUS 90W, Wifi-G PCMCIA, Head Unit Aux adapter, Delorme GPS, XM PCR, Audigy NX, RR

Comment

Accessory power line is a 12V line that is live when ignition is on.
            Celica VVTi
            EPIA M10000 Nehemiah, 160Gb HDD, 7" Lilliput VGA Touchscreen, Opus 150Watt PSU, Slimline DVD/CDRW, Road Runner

Comment

Ok, so the accessory line is hot when the iginition is on. For the OPUS supply I would also need a continiously live line as well...??? Would this also be available in the same place as the accessory supply? (Again, so that I don't have to cut any cables.).
              06 Volvo XC90

Comment

you can use radioshack wire-taps to get any signal you need without cutting wires. Not the best method in the world, but does the least damage IMHO.
                Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

If you want to keep the factory head unit, then get a male and female factory adaptor, then you could tap all the wires without splicing/cutting into anything. In an automobile, you should always sodder your connections. Here's the wires you may need.

Signal, Wire, Trigger, Location
                  12volts red & pink/black + ignition harness
                  Starter yellow + ignition harness
                  Ignition red/blue + ignition harness
                  Accessory black/orange + ignition harness
                  Second Accessory black/white + ignition harness
                  Keysense lt. blue - ignition harness
                  Power Lock pink/purple - back of fusebox
                  Power Unlock same wire as power lock
                  Lock Motor orange/black 5wi back of fusebox
                  Unlock Motor pink/black 5wi back of fusebox
                  Door Trigger - right of st column, blue plug
                  Dome Supervision use door trigger
                  Trunk/Hatch Pin tan/black - conn. 1, pin 7 @ BCM
                  Hood Pin brown/tan - conn. 1, pin 6 @ BCM
                  Trunk/Hatch Release orange/pink - conn. 1, pin 17 @ BCM
                  Factory Alarm Disarm lt. green/orange - conn. 2, pin 9 @ BCM
                  Brake Wire white/tan + brake pedal switch
                  Parking Brake gray/black - parking brake switch
                  Horn Trigger black/red - steering column

Comment

I wouldn't do it unless you guys are really steady and have some good history. Who keeps the carputer if you guys breakup. I have had to do a lot of work on mine including a custom dash so now a headunit wont fit. Only a 7" LCD. I know it sucks to think about but you have to plan for the worst and hope for the best. Now that i have mine installed in my car my GF wants one in hers becasue she thinks it is so cool, however i wont put one in hers becasue of the risk of screwing it up

My 2 cents
                    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Thanks for the advice. If I split up with my GF, I would have more than 'who get the carputer' to worry about. Things like the DVD collection etc. etc.

So the emphasis is on modifying things as little as possible etc. I've been taking a look at many of the Jeep forums and websites. I've also been taking a look in the car itself.

The car has a accessory power in the rear which is live all the time (even when ignition is off). Is it wise that I use this for the supply to the OPUS DC-DC? I would also need the 'ignition' connection. Would anything on a CD Changer connection be able to supply this?
                      06 Volvo XC90

Comment

Well hi guys. I have done this many times (like 50) so listen up!! If u want to put a computer in a vehicle U need a power converter nothing big but enough to power 300 watts.
                        Now say u want it to shut off automatically U need something on the line of a APC back up unit with usb. now the reason to do this is u dont want to damage the computer. This will allow the computer to run for up to 30 min. depending on what model APC u get and than shut down safely. U can program it to shut down when u shut off the car or like 2 mins. after or whenever. OK now thats out the way we well move on to the unit . I use shuttle computers cause thay are small but u can use mini atx formfactor or what ever u want depending on how much room u have. I usualy get rid of any head unit(cd/tape player) cause I put a dvd/cdrw combo drive in its place and if u realy want to get fancy hot swap hard drives!! I use house computer 15'' moniters since thay are cheaper than auto monitors like a $500 diffrience.OK now we move on to the sound . I like to use soundblaster live 5.1 cause it has the analog out for all the sound chanels and its only like $50 bucks. Get some amps like one 4 chanel (front and rear) and
                        one 2 chanel (subs).Use 1/8 headphone to dual rca adapters u need like 3 if u use a sub,connect these to the low level inputs of the amps and wala sound . now 4 the control get a senso pad its no bigger than 3x4 inches so u can mount it any where use that 4 ur mouse its like one of those laptop mouse pad than find a usb palm pc keyboard or a wireless keyboard and then if u want a remote which I recomend u can find one at comp usa or any computer store or online.All u need now is mounting locations for the lcd and controles than u will have the best mutimedia sound system than any car system has to offer!! If u have any questions contact me at [email protected] and I well reply as soon as I get ur e-mail have fun!!!!!
                        2-15" ILO lcd w/DVI
                        6800 gt Duel DVI out
                        p4 1.6ghz flex atx board
                        1gb 400 ram
                        120gb(2-60gb raid) sata hd
                        2-60gb hotswap
                        WIN2K Pro SP2
                        M.A.M.E. w/2,300 games
                        CARPuter info

Comment

Originally posted by CHUPACABRA
                          Well hi guys. I have done this many times (like 50) so listen up!! If u want to put a computer in a vehicle U need a power converter nothing big but enough to power 300 watts.
                          Now say u want it to shut off automatically U need something on the line of a APC back up unit with usb. now the reason to do this is u dont want to damage the computer. This will allow the computer to run for up to 30 min. depending on what model APC u get and than shut down safely. U can program it to shut down when u shut off the car or like 2 mins. after or whenever. OK now thats out the way we well move on to the unit . I use shuttle computers cause thay are small but u can use mini atx formfactor or what ever u want depending on how much room u have. I usualy get rid of any head unit(cd/tape player) cause I put a dvd/cdrw combo drive in its place and if u realy want to get fancy hot swap hard drives!! I use house computer 15'' moniters since thay are cheaper than auto monitors like a $500 diffrience.OK now we move on to the sound . I like to use soundblaster live 5.1 cause it has the analog out for all the sound chanels and its only like $50 bucks. Get some amps like one 4 chanel (front and rear) and
                          one 2 chanel (subs).Use 1/8 headphone to dual rca adapters u need like 3 if u use a sub,connect these to the low level inputs of the amps and wala sound . now 4 the control get a senso pad its no bigger than 3x4 inches so u can mount it any where use that 4 ur mouse its like one of those laptop mouse pad than find a usb palm pc keyboard or a wireless keyboard and then if u want a remote which I recomend u can find one at comp usa or any computer store or online.All u need now is mounting locations for the lcd and controles than u will have the best mutimedia sound system than any car system has to offer!! If u have any questions contact me at [email protected] and I well reply as soon as I get ur e-mail have fun!!!!!
                          By power convertor do you mean power invertor? there are 2 options, using a standard power invertor, or a dc->dc solution like the opus which in my opinion is a much better option, but there are varied opinions on this: SEARCH!

Soundblaster live cards are at the bottom end of the market, i'd recomend getting something better espically if your spending substantial amounts of money on amps and speakers, but then it may do you just fine.

15" lcd's are overkill when you can easily buy a 7" touchscreen for a few hundred, no idea where the $500 price differance was pulled from

i find it very hard to believe you have done this many times
                          Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

When i read chupacabra's post my first though was what year does this guy think he's in?
                            2002 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4DR
                            Aleroputer 90% done (ripped out and being rewired)
                            MYMODS:
                            Pioneer Head unit in a remote location, Clarion Amp, XM Satilite Radio, 2 10" Audiobahn DVC Subs wired 1 ohm in a bandpass box, Grill Mesh, Halo Guages

Comment

ok these systems are realy hard to setup if you know what you are doing so if you or your girlfriend don't both know how these systems work and to set them up don't do it you need realy good computer hardware and software skills before you start you will also need to know how to work on your car taking it apart and doing electrical work to with out breaking or frying any thing if you have the computer skills and not the car skills you can get help from all of us but take it slow you need lots of time to get it right you don't need to cut any wires you can get a harness at your local stereo shop that hooks up to the factroy radio harness in your car or you can use t taps and scoch locks they can be bought at a stereo shop they will show you how to use them good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X