Slim CDROM cables?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slim CDROM cables?

So in order to mount my slim cdrom drive where I want to, i need to seperate it from its ide/usb bridge, otherwise its far too long with the board and cables and such. The solution is to double the board back on the drive, but to do so I need to essentially find an extension cable, and just a few inches at that. If memory serves, its a 50 pin? JAE cable, but I cant find anyone selling anything resembling what i'm looking for. Anyone know where to find one?
    -Nick

40 Pin

Actually its a 40 pin wire.... i know theres a limit on the length an IDE cable can be... best i can remember it 4 ft. which is more than 2 wires linked together.... another solution may be (if you have firewire support) is teh get a firewire to IDE connection... i remember reading of that somewhere... i'll look into it... other than that... i tried it once but never tested it... stick some copper pins into the end of the IDE cable and link it to the other end on another IDE cable... so use the end that connects to the MOBO and connect it to the primary end of the other wire... connect to the mobo and drive and check it out... no guarenteed workage... but i hope this helps.. get back to me if it works... i may need to implement it... but i may try before you get to it... we'll see.... Later
    Markus

-= 380 mHz 448 Mb SDRAM, 3 Gb Hdd, built in vid/aud, and tape attachment to kenwood deck, controled with a Gravis GamePad Pro Eliminator=-

Comment

just out of interest, what SLIM cd rom did you get?
      im looking for one.
      Ford XR6T blueprint 4.0 L twin cam turbo.
      Xenarc 7" touchscreen M10000 Audigy 2 NX
      ITX 120W PS 80gig HD, 256MB Ram, USB wireless internet/LAN
      Griffin Powermate Panasonic DVD-CDW
      Pioneer 5x7 Four way, 2x12 pioneer subz
      600watt 6chan USA audio AMP

Comment

50 Pin

I believe it's a JAE KX15 series connector. You can find them at mouser.com on page 739.

***edit***

I think there is a right angle KX14 connector that would work, and may be the right option for you. Read the JAE website.

Comment

Originally posted by Markus101
          Actually its a 40 pin wire.... i know theres a limit on the length an IDE cable can be... best i can remember it 4 ft. which is more than 2 wires linked together.... another solution may be (if you have firewire support) is teh get a firewire to IDE connection... i remember reading of that somewhere... i'll look into it... other than that... i tried it once but never tested it... stick some copper pins into the end of the IDE cable and link it to the other end on another IDE cable... so use the end that connects to the MOBO and connect it to the primary end of the other wire... connect to the mobo and drive and check it out... no guarenteed workage... but i hope this helps.. get back to me if it works... i may need to implement it... but i may try before you get to it... we'll see.... Later
          I think he wants to make a small cable to connect to the rear of his slim cd. Then the cable can make a bend or whatever before he connects to the 50 to 40 pin adapter. The adapter then connects to a short IDE cable, which is connected to the IDE/USB bridge. Finally a USB cable connects that to his USB port.

The point was that he doesn't have the room directly behind the drive for all that. He needs a short cable to relocate it.

Comment

Here's what the connectors look like. Its the innards out of a Liteon USB 2.0 DVDROM/CDRW slim unit.

You were able to find more thatn I could eCar, never knew JAE was Japanese Aviation Electronics. What I'm hoping to find is a 50 pin male jae to 50 pin female jae cable, the shorter the better, but then any length could work really. And I think soldering .3 mm contacts is beyond my soldering skills to make my own.
            -Nick

Comment

I hate to be the cold smack of reality, but I kind of doubt anybody has these sitting on a shelf, waiting for you to find them. I'd say you'll have to have one made.

Comment

Yeah, I was sorta guessing that, but was hoping that some old laptop or otherwise old hardware used just such a cable.
                -Nick

Comment

Yeah, you never know. But if a laptop were to have a cable like this, it would probably be male-male.

Good luck.

Comment

Maybe you should rethink where you are mounting the thing instead of this quest to find things that don't exsist. Just a thought.
                    http://www.arizonasportcompacts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cherub211
                      Maybe you should rethink where you are mounting the thing instead of this quest to find things that don't exsist. Just a thought.
                      Yeah, I wasa thinking about that too, but its really the only "good" place to put it, one thats acessible without having to get out of the car. I might be able to use it as is with a lot more fibreglass work, but i'll have to see.
                      -Nick

Comment

@Cherub211
                        Thanks as always for your productive comments.

@MP3DUB
                        I had the exact same problem as you did. I didn't have room for a big *** circuit board sticken out of the back of my Slimline CDROM.

I got lucky though. I ordered http://www.bixnet.com/24xpcmcicdro.html
                        If there is any way that you could send back your current solution do it and order this. It will solve your problems. I was able to make a U angle (between the slimline and the circuitry) becasue it has actually 2 circuit boards connected by a regular IDE cable. The first circuit board (same height and length of the back of the slimline drive) connects to the back of the slimline cd/dvd.

That board has a 3 inch IDE cable that connects to the larger cuircuit board which enables you to bend into a U shape making the bulk of the circuitry parallel to the Slimline CD/DVD. It only sticks out from the back of the slimline drive about One inch.

Like i said i got lucky. It costs about 60-70 bucks but is well worth it if you have size constraints. It is USB 2 and comes with a seperate power supply and also has Audio Out.

PM me if you want any more details

Cheers
                        -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Did you ever get a solution to this problem? I actually want to mount the drive about 2 feet away from my laptop. I would rather not get an enclosure to do it if a cable would suffice, even if I have to do some work to get a cable.

If I ordered the plug and receptical from mouser, anyone have any idea how I would connect them to a cable? Amyone know if I could extend the cable 2 feet (I could probably go as short as one foot, if necessary)

thanks

|V1 Virtual Display|

Hard work often pays off over time, laziness always pays off right now.

Comment

I ended up ditching the Bix unit that i got. Even though it was the only solution that i could find that would fit the area that i need it to go. I ended up just trying to work with an exteneded IDE cable

So my solution was to purchase this

and then order a 6 foot IDE cable from Stone Wall Cable

I actually just got the cable yesterday and tested it out and it worked fine. Now i just have to route the cable and connect power (i already have 5v ran but i just need to solder in the right kind of connector)

If i were to go the way of the bridge again i would definitly go firewire.
                            -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

yeah, I saw those, but it isn't really what I want. I need the 50 pin connector on either end (one male, one female) because I want to use the slim CD , i just want to mount it outside of my laptop because the laptop is not accessible. I need a cable (about 2') to go between the connectors in the pic that MP3DUB posted.

|V1 Virtual Display|

Hard work often pays off over time, laziness always pays off right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X