No announcement yet.

Inverter turning on when car turns on?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter turning on when car turns on?

Hey everyone, ok i just hooked up my inverter to the car but i need help with 1 thing. Ok theres a switch on the inverter that turns it on and off, except the inverters under the seat, i want to put a switch somewhere so i turn it on and off without having to reach under the seat, or better yet just make the inverter turn on when the car starts, and it automatically shuts off when the car is off. Any ideas?

Originally posted by Seabass
    Hey everyone, ok i just hooked up my inverter to the car but i need help with 1 thing. Ok theres a switch on the inverter that turns it on and off, except the inverters under the seat, i want to put a switch somewhere so i turn it on and off without having to reach under the seat, or better yet just make the inverter turn on when the car starts, and it automatically shuts off when the car is off. Any ideas?
    I cut the main power wire to the inverter between the battery and the inverter itself. Installed a relay to transfer power. Put a power line from the fusebox to a dash mounted switch to open the relay.

Batman
    [email protected]
    www.samshomepage.net

Comment

Yep. Just get a cheap 12V relay at an auto parts store that can handle the power.

You could wire the relay to a switch on the dash, the ACC line (power on) of the car, or a combination of both. I can explain how they work if needed.
      www.arbybean.com

Comment

Here's even more ideas on that...

The power inverter draws power even with the power switch off (mine draws .2A, which is more drain than you want over several days).

Use a relay inline with the +12 wire to turn it on/off via ignition.
        On the ignition input to the relay, use a diode to prevent +12 feedback.
        Then, run a +12 from one of the hard drive or floppy drive power legs on your car PC to the input on the relay. You will need another diode to isolate it as well.

The benefits...
        completely dead system when not in use.
        the power will not be disconnected until the unit has been shutdown (I recommend hibernate).

Comment

Originally posted by Jonjonr6

The power inverter draws power even with the power switch off (mine draws .2A, which is more drain than you want over several days).

Then, run a +12 from one of the hard drive or floppy drive power legs on your car PC to the input on the relay. You will need another diode to isolate it as well.

The benefits...
          the power will not be disconnected until the unit has been shutdown (I recommend hibernate).
          Another benefit is that you get 'restart on power on', if your system board supports it, that is. So automatic startup!

Hope you don't mind but I just nicked your post for another thread - http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23793
          Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

The benefits...
            wait i think i might get it...ok so i hook up "30" on the relay to one side of the 12v thats going to the inverter, and "87" to the other end of the wire. Then 85 to ground, and 86 to ignition with the diode so the 12v doesnt go back into the ignition? And whats the point of hooking up the 12v from the hd to the input on the relay, so it doesnt turn off when the computers still on? And does that mean that the hd auto turns on when the relay is activated...or no?

1 more thing, the 12v going into the inverter is 4gauge, wouldnt it be bad to hook up a 4gauge wire into a tiny little relay that only accepts like 24gauge?

Comment

Where can i buy these diodes and what are the ratings on them? I have no knowldege of diodes so any info would be helpful.

Comment

Seabass,
                You'll need a diode on any 12v input to the relay to isolate them from each other. So, you'd need a diode on the ignition input and the hard drive input. This way, the computer doesn't keep the ignition on, and the ignition doesn't effect the hard drive.
                Diodes provide a high resistance to polarity reversal. Many sizes and ratings, but a relay only needs like a small one. Radio Shack has them. Like this one:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=276%2D1143

As for the 4ga wire, it depends on how big the inverter is. If you have a large one, capable of drawing more than 30 amperes, then a typical Bosch relay might fail.
                Otherwise, if your inverter is only capable if drawing 10 or 15 amperes, then a Bosch 30 is plenty, and don't worry about the gauge of wire. Think about a fuse, the thin wire inside isn't even 18ga for a 60A rating.

Comment

Seabass,
                  You'll need a diode on any 12v input to the relay to isolate them from each other. So, you'd need a diode on the ignition input and the hard drive input. This way, the computer doesn't keep the ignition on, and the ignition doesn't effect the hard drive.
                  Diodes provide a high resistance to polarity reversal. Many sizes and ratings, but a relay only needs like a small one. Radio Shack has them. Like this one:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=276%2D1143

As for the 4ga wire, it depends on how big the inverter is. If you have a large one, capable of drawing more than 30 amperes, then a typical Bosch relay might fail.
                  Otherwise, if your inverter is only capable if drawing 10 or 15 amperes, then a Bosch 30 is plenty, and don't worry about the gauge of wire. Think about a fuse, the thin wire inside isn't even 18ga for a 60A rating.
                  Its a 700wattrms/1400wattspeak inverter so ir draws much more then 30 amperes, how can i hook up a relay and now blow the relay? Thanks. And 1 more thing, at the moment I have a relay that turns on when the acc is on, and i do not have a diode on that, will it blow the ignition or is it ok?

Comment

Ok friend told me to get 3 30amp relays and wire them in parrallel, sound like it would be good?

Comment

You inverter is pulling upwards of 90 amps?

That's like 1000 watts. You shouldn't need anywhere near that...

If you really need that much current, you could go with a solenoid switch instead of a relay.
                      www.arbybean.com

Comment

Just guessing here but as far as I understand it, just because your inverter is labelled 1000 watts or 30A doesn't mean it will use that much all the time... that's the max. Your carputer will use much less, I figure one 30A relay will be plenty. Even if it doesn't work, the worst that will happen is you will blow the relay... then you can try your 3 relays in parrallel method (remember this will be more work cuz you will have to split the ignition wire to connect to all 3 relays). Just FYI, I run my carputer off a 150W inverter, so that goes to show how little power they can use.

As for your diode question, I BELIEVE (not 100% sure) that you only need the diode if you are running both ignition and 12V from your computer into your 86 on the relay (you will need a diode on both the ignition wire AND the 12V computer wire). If you are not planning to use the 12V from the computer into the 86 then I don't think you don't need any diode.

Comment

Working...
                        X