help with idea of inactivity timer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with idea of inactivity timer

refernce to this post: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20660

Summary: want to use my carputer with standby but i leave my car sitting idle for days at a time (3+ days) and ive been advised that may drain the battery

soo...
    would it be at all possible to have an inactivity timer that when the computer is inactive for say 2 days the computer automatically shuts down
    2004 G35 Coupe project

A quick search yeilded this:

http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10...ml?tag=lst-0-3

I'm sure there's similar software out there that's free if you look hard enough.
    www.arbybean.com

Comment

problem with software is that while in standy nothing is operational/running (afaik)
      2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

aolhater wants a hardware timer
        [H]4 Life
        My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
        It will be done sometime in the next generation.
        I'm a lesbian too.
        I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by aoLhaTer
          refernce to this post: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20660

Summary: want to use my carputer with standby but i leave my car sitting idle for days at a time (3+ days) and ive been advised that may drain the battery

soo...
          would it be at all possible to have an inactivity timer that when the computer is inactive for say 2 days the computer automatically shuts down
          I believe an OPUS PSU monitors the input voltage and when it gets down to a certain level it shuts off. 'course, that's not a shutdown but it will stop your battery draining!
          Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback
            I believe an OPUS PSU monitors the input voltage and when it gets down to a certain level it shuts off.
            However, that is a hard power cut.

Comment

Originally posted by P4_2.66GHz
              I know, I was editing while you wrote
              Laidback

Comment

Originally posted by P4_2.66GHz
                I know nothing about the Opus, but could you somehow wire the Opus low voltage shutdown to the power button of the computer. XP has a feature that shutdowns windows when the computer's power button is pressed.

Comment

Originally posted by crook999
                  I XP has a feature that shutdowns windows when the computer's power button is pressed.
                  Go on, you're winding us up!!!

No, I don't think you can easily connect them together.....but I'm ready to be corrected!

Edit: Well, it could be done... if the OPUS controlled *another* shutdown controller, then when the battery gets to low, it tells the other shutdown controller to shutdown windows......
                  Laidback

Comment

Originally posted by crook999
                    XP has a feature that shutdowns windows when the computer's power button is pressed.
                    Which, since the computer is already in standby, would turn the computer
                    right back on.
                    [H]4 Life
                    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                    I'm a lesbian too.
                    I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
                      Which, since the computer is already in standby, would turn the computer
                      right back on.
                      Ah, he meant when it's already in standby?
                      Laidback

Comment

i spoke with chris from opus prior to all of this (a while ago) and inquired about the low battery shutoff

the opus psu will shut off if the battery voltage dips below 11v for more than 10 seconds
                        BUT this only happens when the computer is on, not when its in standby
                        2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

Working...
                        X