Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nano-ITX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nano-ITX

    Hi guys,

    Have y'all seen the new Nano-ITX reference board from VIA? It's the size of a CD (12cm x 12cm), uses the Eden-N CPU (I think the N stands for Nehemiah, can anyone confirm?) and has many of the same features as the M10000.

    Has anyone heard about this or done any performance reviews yet? If it's on par with the M10000, then I might be able to put the whole computer in the dash-mounted hump I'm making for the Lilliput, instead of stashing it in the glovebox.

    http://www.viaembedded.com/product/e...herboardId=221

    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
    http://hallert.net/

  • #2
    The Nano-ITX does look really cool. There are a few downsides, though...
    • Only expansion is via Mini-PCI
    • Uses SODIMM (Laptop) memory
    • No Firewire onboard
    It does, however, have USB2, SATA, and LVDS onboard. I don't think there have been any benchmarks done yet. I've only seen pictures. Oh, and the "N" does stand for Nehemiah.

    -Randomtask

    Comment


    • #3
      I think that it's more likely that the 'N' stands for 'nano', just like the 'M' in Epia M1000 might stand for 'mini' (as in mini-itx). [but don't ask me about the 'V'!]
      Just a thought of course, but since there are Nehemias in the mini-itx family too, dedicating the 'N' for these board would not make much sense...

      For now I have yet to see a real datasheet or a mainboard that has been seen working. (Noticed the Cebit images? again a different power connector! and probably still not working)

      white bream
      working on a trilogy: CARGO - UNIGO - MERGO
      CARGO = the Car Computer
      Intel Celeron M, [P]SDC, uBlox GPS, GPRS, WLAN, Silabs FM, RDS, TMC,
      Dual-audio, Onecable TFT, Microsize: 45 x 108 x 168mm (1.8 x 4.3 x 6.6")

      Comment


      • #4
        The nano-itx mainboard must be in production cause it's the mainboard in the nannode computer featured on the mini-itx.com website. Haven't seen the boards for sale yet though.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think I want one. The M10000 seemed like the right mobo for my project until now.... If I have a nano-itx motherboard, I can really keep everything together.

          I look forward to reading performance data on it.
          Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
          http://hallert.net/

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, I must say it was running across a story about the Nano-ITX boards a few months ago that got me back into Car PC.... I have had my Shuttle SV-24 Car PC for about 18 months and this got me excited again....

            But the more I researched it, the more disappointed I became..... I REALLY think for the next 6 months to a year, the Nano-ITX is total PIE-IN-THE-SKY... you will never see it for sale. I went with the M10000 and will use that as a bases for my next totally IN-DASH Car PC.... I don't need to wait on the Nano-ITX form

            But I do have a lot of respect for VIA and I think they will get it working and out for sale...... But not any time soon....

            Comment


            • #7
              They should be on sale within the next 3 months.

              First 200 are shipped in a limited edition box, I want!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ChriX
                They should be on sale within the next 3 months.

                First 200 are shipped in a limited edition box, I want!
                That would be cool, but I will believe it when I see it.......

                I still say 12 to 18 months....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well, I assume they are on track seeing as it was about 6 months ago when they said 6 months until we get a working board or something similar.

                  Have you seen the pictures on epiacenter.com? Looks good.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    All I want to know is:

                    1) WHEN will they be available?
                    2) WHICH company can I buy one from?


                    I don't care what the price is. I WANT ONE. Yes, I'm a gadge freak.

                    Once I saw that they were being released soon, I took the board I was going to build my CarPC out of (Shuttle FB54), and made a server out of it. I'm willing to wait for a Nano-ITX instead of creating my system twice.

                    Ohhh.. I've got plans for you my new toy.. now come to papa!


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Randomtask
                      The Nano-ITX does look really cool. There are a few downsides, though...
                      • Only expansion is via Mini-PCI
                      • Uses SODIMM (Laptop) memory
                      • No Firewire onboard
                      It does, however, have USB2, SATA, and LVDS onboard. I don't think there have been any benchmarks done yet. I've only seen pictures. Oh, and the "N" does stand for Nehemiah.

                      -Randomtask
                      1) I really don't know why in carpc you will EVEN consider having PCI
                      2) SODIMM memory is dirt cheap...so why not
                      3) Firewire... How much firwire stuff is out there compare to USB not to mention anything firewire is way too expensive that is why there is not that many push toward that technology.

                      Personally i think we all should be happy with this MB...the smaller the board, the better our setups
                      abcd-1
                      Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
                      You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cenwesi
                        1) I really don't know why in carpc you will EVEN consider having PCI
                        2) SODIMM memory is dirt cheap...so why not
                        3) Firewire... How much firwire stuff is out there compare to USB not to mention anything firewire is way too expensive that is why there is not that many push toward that technology.

                        Personally i think we all should be happy with this MB...the smaller the board, the better our setups
                        Um... what's wrong with PCI in a CarPC?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Dig the latest pics.....


                          Mmmmm.....Sata
                          2005 Ford Focus ST

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X